Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corsa vs GMMG for Drone, Loudness

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Corsa vs GMMG for Drone, Loudness

OK, I'm looking to change my catback to something more tolerable. My wife thought she was doing me a favor by ordering a Flowmaster Thunder Series catback. I had a Flowmaster muffler (not catback) on my previous (read stolen) 2000 Trans Am. Now I have a 2001 WS6 Trans Am and I am not happy with the Flowmater catback. TOO much drone. It gives me a headache at times. So, for the longest time I've been thinking I want a GMMG, but I worry about how loud it will be. This is my daily ride to work.

So, does the GMMG drone? Is the Corsa really that good that it doesn't drone, but still sounds good? How do the two compare for loudness at idle, 2500 rpm, and WOT? I don't care about the horsepower advantages, only the external sound and interior drone.

Any comment or sound clips would be helpful. Oh, and yes, I searched and listened at LS1sounds.com for all the smartasses out there! I just want some good opinions. Thanks!!

Brian
Old 08-30-2006, 01:15 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a corsa. i can't make the damn thing drone, period. it's totally silent. it doesn't even vibrate the inside of my car, ever with the windows down. around 2400 rpm's accelerating it can inside a little with the windows up only. highway crusing you can't even hear the damn thing. you have to have the windows down and strain your ears to detect an exhaust note at all...and we're talking 75 mph on the expressway (A4, 2.73's). the catback is plain quiet under normal driving. you have to rev it to 2500 rpm's to get good noise. over 3 grand it makes nice sound and WOT it screams. it's only loud when you want it. my mom likes this car so much more than my old one. my mom called my old 3.4L V6 firebird with a flowmaster 80 series catback a loud old car, it used to wake her up when i came home at 1 am now, i can come in, take a shower and she'll ask me "what time did you come home last night? i didn't hear you."

if you're looking for tame cruising around town, no drone on highways and screaming at WOT, corsa is for you. it's probably had the most thought put into it than any other catback. corsa is VERY consistent with the "loud ONLY when you want it" approach.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have gmmg... The sound is awsome at idle and wot. normal acceleration, its mildly tame. As far as drone. You will get a little at around 2500 rpm. If you plan on headers, i would say, gmmg. AFTER headers, its plain awsome. No drone. No Rasp. Just sweet sound.
I would also recoomend magnaflow. nice sound and its stainless. Also, about half the price.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GMMG is a straight pipe with some dents in it, horrible drone, TONS of rasp and sounds like *** too

Corsa is overpriced and to raspy/loud for my tastes but much better than straight pipeing your car
Old 08-30-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Cop Car
GMMG is a straight pipe with some dents in it, horrible drone, TONS of rasp and sounds like *** too

Corsa is overpriced and to raspy/loud for my tastes but much better than straight pipeing your car
Tell us what you really think.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:35 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Cop Car
GMMG hater. My experience is that with manifolds, cats, and the stock converter, my GMMG was perfect. With the higher stall, it got noticeably louder in brisk in-town driving and took on a strange horn-like tone. Other than that, no rasp, idle is great, WOT is awesome, and steady cruise at 80mph@2500rpm on the highway gives only a pleasant hum with no drone.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

Want something quiet? Choco hit it, you would love corsa IMO. My friend has it on his car, only catback no LTs. Very tame, outside the car sounds REAL nice, inside very docile and civil.

-J
Old 08-31-2006, 12:00 AM
Board Certified Idiot

GMMG is a MUSCLE Car SOUND.. CORSA gives More of a How do you say .. INDY car sound ..

Both Can still Produce RASP.. With the Correct Setups.. Such as No Cats. I think Either one THo is still WORTH EVERY PENNY SPENT.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:33 AM
Banned

SLP D/D
Old 08-31-2006, 04:15 PM
12 Second Club

Thank you, all. Tough call. Leaning towards the Corsa, as I like the ability to drive quiet at times. However, GMMG has a great rep, too. I do want to get headers too, so I'm not sure how that will effect the GMMG sound. completely stock they sound great. After headers and cam, a bit loud. I'll still run cats, but not sure how loud it will get. I suppose I can always sell later if I don't like. They sell easily.

thanks,

Brian
Old 08-31-2006, 05:32 PM
Tech Resident

here's a clip of my corsa:

http://video.ls1tech.com/video/38ca9...190161897c.htm

it sounds better in person. the camera mic can't pick up the low frequencies. it's deeper and slightly mustang-like around 2500rpm's. the rasp you hear during the at idle revs is due to the flimsy camera microphone being unable to process all the sound and it cuts out.

hopefully this will help you decide if this sound is right for you.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:35 PM
10 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/568370-how-cut-down-drone-highway-loudmouth.html
Old 08-31-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like Corsa should be right for you. I loved it with otherwise stock exhaust. Very quiet at 70mph cruise and screams at WOT and high RPMS.

Now with cam, headers and catted-Y it's a lot louder but still relatively docile at 70mph cruise. Get on it though and it makes loud evil sounds. I've had a lot of positive comments on it.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've ran the Corsa in a few different setups until the muffler broke and it's a great sound with no drone at all. Was definately wicked at WOT with my current setup. The muffler began rattling inside so I replaced it with a Hooker Aerochamber. Quite honestly the Hooker is about the same in overall volume and has absolutely no drone. For $80 it's been well worth it. The Hooker is a tad deeper sounding while the Corsa was a louder and more high pitched.