Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for car need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for car need help

Well I am now looking towards buying my first corvette since graduation and would really like some input. I know how to drive a standard however, my future mods i beleive a 4l60e equip vette might be the better choice. Future plans include full boltons, headers, stall, small cam, and supercharger(much later on). I understand this means i prolly eventually need a forged motor and built trans but that is not my focus right now. My biggest concern right now is the gearing. I am pretty stuck on 2.73 but dont know if i should find an A4 with the 3.15 option. Reason is with the 2.73 and a tight 3000-3200 vigilante stall i will still get great highway mpg, not as much traction issues, still maintain a good top end speed in my 1:1 third gear (D), and with the supercharger i can utilize the very long powerband. All this sounds good, but i just wanted others opinons. It is quite expensive to switch carries and have it installed and i dont want to make the wrong choice when i go to buy.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well you've got the right thought, but 2.73 will not give you what you're wanting at the track in the 1/4, i would prob go maybe with a set of 3.42's or 3.23's and both will give you atleast mid 20's MPG on the interstate and will be sick from a dig but just my .02
Old 09-06-2006, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

But wont the higher stall with a tigher str help negate the need for higher (numerical) gears. Plus w/ a turbo or supercharger the 2.73s will have a wide broad band of power. I understand the 3.15 or higher gear will get you there quicker but will i be giving up a huge amount of performance. I dont want to get a 2.73 rear and have to spend a whole lot of money later to change it. I ahve read some guys with camaros who have stalls and 2.73s and said that the higher numercial gears only cause traction issues.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

to top