Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to order headers...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default About to order headers...

Hi all, I'm about to order a set of pacesetters, a catted y, and the rumbler catback from TSP. I know i need 02 extensions, but what else do I need to get this all put together? I'm going to get the rear o2s, the AIR, and EGR tuned out. It looked pretty simple to remove the AIR and EGR, so I'm hoping that wont be too big a deal. Will I need new header gaskets, and where do I get clamps from? Thanks!
Old 09-07-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

band clamps are a good idea, you can get them at autoparts stores (mine are from Napa), just call around to see who has some in stock.

you will need new header gaskets

you'll love the way the rumbler sounds through headers, its got a nice deep, aggressive tone with a catted y.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when i bought my LTs from QTP 2 weeks ago i got the following

OEM Header Gaskets
Stage 8 Locking Header Bolts ( peopel say to reuse the stocker, my freinds have all the do is retighten them ALL the time...)
2 24" Square 02 Extensions
Plugs/Wires will be easier with the manifolds off. i recommend MSD 8.5mm Wires and NGK TR55's Plugs gapped at .055

Good Luck and go from there
Old 09-07-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Regular

Most re-use the stock bolts and gaskets without problems. I re-used mine and no leaks.

I am with TORCHD on new TR-55 plugs but I would only replace the wires if you had high mileage. Plus, I am not a fan of my MSD wires.

You would be much better off installing the new plugs after the headers are on so you do not risk cracking a plug.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire-formula 93
Most re-use the stock bolts and gaskets without problems. I re-used mine and no leaks.

I am with TORCHD on new TR-55 plugs but I would only replace the wires if you had high mileage. Plus, I am not a fan of my MSD wires.

You would be much better off installing the new plugs after the headers are on so you do not risk cracking a plug.

IMO i would NEVER reuse a gasket. i always buy brand new ones. And as far as header bolts go, again it is my opinion to get locking header bolts so that the stockers never come undone.. but hey to each their own

the only reason i say Plugs and wires, you are right there, less crap in the way mine as well do it.. And a lot of people here are running either MSD or Taylor..

but hey what do i know

l8ter
Old 09-07-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you will need header gaskets ive heard of people using the stock ones and you can but then your taking a chance of having a leak but while your down there just buy the gaskets so you can sleep at nite. you will need the egr block off plates also you can get them off ebay for under $20 but that package is missing the block off plate for the intake.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just happy that you're getting a catted-y with that exhaust.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

The intake egr plug , a 1 3/8'' adjustable rubber freeze plug, cost around 4 bucks at your local parts store.
Pacesetter has a race only header ,get that one and you will need no blockoff plates.
Removing the egr and air is simple unbolt and toss into the closest trashcan . Be sure to plug the vacumm line in the back of the intake that used to go to the air with a screw.
I used lifetime replacement autolite plug wires , no need for a name brand unless you want the sticker .
I used the bosh 13111's corvette rear o2 sensors ,no need for o2 extensions as these have a longer wire , switch very well .
polyurethane or solid engine mounts / Trans mount would be wise to prevent pipe banging .

Last edited by cws T/A; 09-07-2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bjamick
you will need header gaskets ive heard of people using the stock ones and you can but then your taking a chance of having a leak but while your down there just buy the gaskets so you can sleep at nite. you will need the egr block off plates also you can get them off ebay for under $20 but that package is missing the block off plate for the intake.
Header gaskets ? You talking about those damn flabby fibre things that come with headers? I hope not, those suck. I threw those away. The stock steel ones work great, never had a leak at all. Would not re-use the old ones though.
Also, I used the stock bolts, torqued them to spec, and I have checked them over several times, they have not loosened ever.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:19 PM
Banned

it should come with all the clamps and bolts and gaskets. you can always reuse your stock gaskets too.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I went with the race headers. I think im gonna get some wires as mine are quite old, but ill see if i can get by with the plugs that are in there, i just replaced them like 5k ago. thanks for the replies!