Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing headers

my friend just bought some used headers and a y pipe for his 98 TA. they are hooker super comp long tubes, and the y pipe is i guess what you would call "off road" it doesnt have any cats. what does he have to have to install them? ive been told something about O2 sims, and O2 extensions, does he need both? i know i had to buy header bolts when i put my headers on (89 formula) will he need to get some for his car? never really looked at the bolts in the factory manifolds so i thought i would throw that out.

thanks in advance
Old 09-07-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Veteran

The stocker bolts are fin in headers. I've had mine in for over 12k miles.. No problem. Had to re check them for the first 1200 miles or so, just ever once in a while.

I don't belive you'll need the o2 extensions on the off road Y pipe, you basically just plug in the o2 sims. You can ziptie them into place, somewhere secure.

As far as install, I did the SLP LT's... some sets are different as far as install. I ahev a wriute up on my cardomain page. Link in sig below. You can do it on ramps, just get the car as high as you can. Disconnect the batt, first. Get the coil paces out of the way, just unbolt and set aside. along with the AIR and EGR sys. Get everything done from up top when you can. Getting the old system down, just pre spray everything with some WD-40 or some good penetrating lube/spray. Get the old sys out of there first thing's first. You might have to disconnect the trans mount to get the engine tyo move over a bit for the PASS side header... the Driver's side should just slip in, you might have to remove the oil filter.

Check my link.. I've got a write up in there and I'm a bit drunk to be typing up a header install..
Old 09-07-2006, 11:05 PM
12 Second Club

You have a choice of deleting rear 02's with a tune or buying sims or do
nothing and run with ses light which will not hurt anything.
You don't have to buy rear 02 extensions but it is easier than cutting
and splicing extensions that come with headers.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:25 PM
TECH Veteran

If you're concerned about ground clearance, look into Pacesetter, Flowtech or QTP's...
Old 09-08-2006, 12:03 AM
Teching In

i guess hes just going to let the SES light come on until he can get down to TSP and tune it.

were not gonna be putting them on, some guy told him $100 to install them, so hes gonna take him up on it.

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
If you're concerned about ground clearance, look into Pacesetter, Flowtech or QTP's...
that doesnt help now....since he already bought the hookers....
Old 09-08-2006, 12:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Flowtech and hookers are the same thing basically... MB, tho...
Old 09-08-2006, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cc89formula
my friend just bought some used headers and a y pipe for his 98 TA. they are hooker super comp long tubes, and the y pipe is i guess what you would call "off road" it doesnt have any cats. what does he have to have to install them? ive been told something about O2 sims, and O2 extensions, does he need both? i know i had to buy header bolts when i put my headers on (89 formula) will he need to get some for his car? never really looked at the bolts in the factory manifolds so i thought i would throw that out.

thanks in advance

You may need 02 extensions for your front 02s if your running LTs
Old 09-08-2006, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Flowtechs and hookers are NOT the same thing. Hookers are MUCH better quality than flowtechs will ever be.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ya with the LT's you cant lower your car or you will be scrapping alot, but he will need the front o2 extensions, and header gaskets, all the bolts will still work. o and alot of time headers are kind of time consuming especially if it is your 1st install..