Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it bad to run open headers?

Old 09-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it bad to run open headers?

just wonderin cus i just did my L/T's and wont make it to the exhaust shop for a couple of days and have to drive my car, will it hurt anything. other than my ear drums. i already got pulled over and i turned my car off before the cop got out of his car. and he never said anything about that.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

From what I've heard, yes, I wouldn't drive it more than a few miles, something to do with lack of backpressure and o2s I think, but I wouldn't be driving like that. Keep it parked. Could damage something for sure.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:38 PM
12 Second Club

i drove mine open headers for a week, i heard the fresh air on the o2s ***** them up. mine lived through it. other than that i dont know what exactly could go wrong.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

No, You'll be fine just try avoiding driving in cold weather, theres been cases were extremely hot valves get F***ed up when you run open headers and turn it off... i think its because air will travel back up when you turn it off, causing cold air on hot valves, Other than that you might burn up your o2 sensors, you may not since they are lt's. I drove my car for about a week and a half, never over 30 miles at a time, w/ open headers, no problems.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jroc99SS
No, You'll be fine just try avoiding driving in cold weather, theres been cases were extremely hot valves get F***ed up when you run open headers and turn it off... i think its because air will travel back up when you turn it off, causing cold air on hot valves, Other than that you might burn up your o2 sensors, you may not since they are lt's. I drove my car for about a week and a half, never over 30 miles at a time, w/ open headers, no problems.

Right on, exactly what I was told. Bottom line is: You take a chance, but you could be lucky and have nothing affected.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jroc99SS
My thoughts on this are, don't you think that the header, being as hot as it gets, would heat up the cold air sufficiently to the point where no damage would be inflicted? As far as the o2 sensors go, i have no clue...

Does anyone else agree with my theory on this? Or am I stupid.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:33 PM
Banned

i dont see why it would hurt anything really
Old 09-09-2006, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

I ran mine open for a while and never had an issue as did a friend.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Jroc99SS]No, You'll be fine just try avoiding driving in cold weather, theres been cases were extremely hot valves get F***ed up when you run open headers and turn it off... QUOTE]

Its September and he's in Texas. Cold weather?

Only probs your likely to have are getting pulled over for it, CO poisoning, and some hearing loss.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

Ive heard of people having leaks right after the headers making thier O2's wack out. I've driven mine w/ open headers just to the exhaust shop... fun trip!
Old 09-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

You'll most likely experience some wierd idle levels because the o2s arent going to be reading correctley
Old 09-10-2006, 01:33 PM
High on diesel fumes

Also heard that fresh air on the O2's will cause lean readings, tune will go way positive on the LTFT's, and the car will run like **** because it's waaaay rich. I've been told that the only way to run open headers is to make sure that you have at least 18" of pipe after the O2's.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

I ran open header's for nine months in my car without any problems. You'll be fine.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:43 PM
11 Second Club

I ran mine straight Y pipe this weekend and in 5th or 6th gear above 3000 EPMs the engine would shut on and off for like 1/10 of a second. the car would stutter. I think reversion could have been occuring?
Old 09-10-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

cold air enters up the hot valves, and expands/contracts making your valves go bad i wouldnt do it, also car needs backpressure, put on a y pipe and cat if you wanna drive it.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:03 PM

sounds great though
Old 09-10-2006, 11:43 PM
Teching In

yea ill be driving mine open headers for awhile in AZ until I get money for some LT headers...
Old 09-11-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

So... lets start with this...people will say that your exhaust valves will expand and contract because the are so hot from the combustion process and then somehow cold air will travel up your open headers. I can see how some people may THINK that..even though I've never heard of ONE story about that happening. On the flip side...shouldn't the same thing happen to your intake valves? they're going through the same combustion process yet they are letting cold air in. The air going in your tb to the intake is gonna be the same air that is "going up your headers into the exhaust valves" Also, hot air rises, cold air doesn't. Also, some people may say, well the exhaust isn't running past the intake valve, so it doesn't get as hot. I would say the fact that one side is cold, and the other side of the valve is really hot from combustion..that puts more stress on the valve becasue it isn't all one temp. Thats all I can think of for right now.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

no response from all the people who assume that you'll somehow expand and contrast your exhaust valve and kill your engine?

also..another point I thought up. What about n20, that going into a engine drops the air temp a lot inside the combustion chamber, just for and explosion to happen. making the exhaust valve cold and then really hot. Wouldn't the same thing that you guys claim happening to a valve because of running open headers happen then too? same princpal.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the valve thing sounds like bullshit to me.

the only real issue is possibly the o2 sensors getting borked from the fresh air.
I have electric cutouts on mine, and it doesn't seem to effect it that much.

I did some back to back dyno runs with open and closed cutouts and the AFR went about .5 richer everywhere (closed). whether that was due to backpressure or mixing air im not sure, but the graph up and downs are near identical so I think it was just backpressure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is it bad to run open headers?