Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where can i get an H pipe

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Where can i get an H pipe

I want a 3" O/R H Pipe.. getting rid of this X pipe.. any one have an idea??
Old 09-11-2006, 12:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to your muffler shop and have him make and install it for you. A "H" pipe is easy to make. All that you will have to do is take out the "X" pipe and install a straight pipe in each pipe. For your "H" pipe, all that has to be done is have the guy cut a hole in each pipe across from each other and then install a pipe between the two pipes (welded in covering the cut holes of-course) connecting the two pipes. There, you will have a "H" pipe. The "H" pipe should be placed as close to your headers (or manifolds) as possible to equalize the pressure between the two pipes as close to the engine as possible.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:20 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are seriously already changing it out? What for?
Old 09-11-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JEB Garner
Go to your muffler shop and have him make and install it for you. A "H" pipe is easy to make. All that you will have to do is take out the "X" pipe and install a straight pipe in each pipe. For your "H" pipe, all that has to be done is have the guy cut a hole in each pipe across from each other and then install a pipe between the two pipes (welded in covering the cut holes of-course) connecting the two pipes. There, you will have a "H" pipe. The "H" pipe should be placed as close to your headers (or manifolds) as possible to equalize the pressure between the two pipes as close to the engine as possible.

great thanks for the info.. the x right now is about 3 or so ft away from the LTs.. my guy will be able to do that for sure
Old 09-11-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
You are seriously already changing it out? What for?
hahaha i know jordan.. i am not to happy with the sound. i can not even hear it crusing. i can hear it idle and WOT..

h pipe and i will keep my magnaflow for now.. when i had LTs, O/R H and my magnaflows on my GT if i do not like that sound them 1 chambers ran out the back
Old 09-11-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

i jsut talked to my exhaust guy.. going to make me a 3" o/r h.... now i wonder how that will sound with my MagnaFlow MagnaPacks???? i know that the h gives a deeper bassier tone.. plus i will gain my low end tq back also..
Old 09-11-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Junkie

how much low end do you think you will gain with an h over an x? could you post pics when its set up??
Old 09-11-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
how much low end do you think you will gain with an h over an x? could you post pics when its set up??

what do you want pics of.. my current set x or when i get my h tomorrow?? or both.. and you gain a lot with an over an x. x is more for top end HP
Old 09-11-2006, 05:37 PM
Trunion King

Wow, you change your exhaust like I change my panties.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

He wears panties.....and clean ones at that. I am changing from an X to an H in about a month too. Removing the aftermarket cats to free up some restrictions and replacing them with PowerSticks and keeping the round Magnaflows outback. Don't expect a huge increase in low end torque, you may be setting yourself up. I think the sound will be better though. I'd like to see pics of the H setup installed too if possible. Like Jeb said, any shop can make an H. Much easier than an X. I bought the Jeg's kit like below and I'll be welding my own system.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:19 PM
Tech Resident

dude, changing from an x-pipe to an h-pipe isn't going to make a big difference in sound. it's the magnapacks that make the sound you hate. magnapacks = exotic. instead of changing your pipe, just weld in different mufflers. not only will it be a hell of a lot easier, the muffler is going to make the big sound difference. the exhaust will still have the same tone with the h-pipe, it'll just be a little deeper. change the muffler or you're going to make another several hundred dollar mistake, and i don't want to see that

i know you are stuck on the magnapacks because it made your mustang sound good, but realize this is a totally different engine. the mustang is iron. the LS1 is aluminum. it's going to make a more high pitched and exotic sound naturally. the magnapacks will NOT make your car sound like your mustang did. you need something more restrictive like single chamber flowmasters or spiral flows. they are the ONLY two mufflers you should be considering to get the sound you want. i promise you, man, change the muffler, not the pipe.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
dude, changing from an x-pipe to an h-pipe isn't going to make a big difference in sound. it's the magnapacks that make the sound you hate. magnapacks = exotic. instead of changing your pipe, just weld in different mufflers. not only will it be a hell of a lot easier, the muffler is going to make the big sound difference. the exhaust will still have the same tone with the h-pipe, it'll just be a little deeper. change the muffler or you're going to make another several hundred dollar mistake, and i don't want to see that

i know you are stuck on the magnapacks because it made your mustang sound good, but realize this is a totally different engine. the mustang is iron. the LS1 is aluminum. it's going to make a more high pitched and exotic sound naturally. the magnapacks will NOT make your car sound like your mustang did. you need something more restrictive like single chamber flowmasters or spiral flows. they are the ONLY two mufflers you should be considering to get the sound you want. i promise you, man, change the muffler, not the pipe.
hey chaco post in my other thread in about 10 mins i need some input...

as far as the x vs h goes. the reason that i want the h is b/c with the h i lsot some low end.. and the h will make that up.. plus it will give it that better tone when i get different muffs.. i really do not see how the packs make it exotic.. the mufflers are basically resinators. the are prolly jsut like the ST or ever Dynomax mufflers??? I know that my stang was an iron block that is what gives it the deep muscle car sound. i guess i will have the get the 1 chamber flow run it out the back.. ok chaco where is the cheapest that i can get them at???
Old 09-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
hey chaco post in my other thread in about 10 mins i need some input...

as far as the x vs h goes. the reason that i want the h is b/c with the h i lsot some low end.. and the h will make that up.. plus it will give it that better tone when i get different muffs.. i really do not see how the packs make it exotic.. the mufflers are basically resinators. the are prolly jsut like the ST or ever Dynomax mufflers??? I know that my stang was an iron block that is what gives it the deep muscle car sound. i guess i will have the get the 1 chamber flow run it out the back.. ok chaco where is the cheapest that i can get them at???
the reason why it sounds exotic is because we have an aluminum engine. it makes a high pitched resonance by nature, unlike a mustang with an iron block that makes a deep, bassy sound by nature. since bullets change the tone the least, you get more of the natural aluminum sound - a high pitched sound. in order to deepen it to what you're looking for, you need some restriction - some baffles that change the frequency of the sound waves exiting your tailpipes. sweet thunders, bullets - they are going to allow higher pitched, raw sound. spiral flows and single chambers are going to alter the sound and create that deeper, iron-style sound you'll get with a mustang or an LT1 motor. restriction is your friend in this case. the reason being is the restriction is not enough to hurt horsepower but enough to alter sound.