Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Z06 Higher Flow Exhaust Manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 09:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for Z06 Higher Flow Exhaust Manifolds

I want to stay away from headers right now, but I'm looking for the best flow I can get with manifolds. I believe the later ZO6's have a better flowing cast iron manifold. Looking to acquire these.....

Anybody have a pair they're looking to get rid of?

Ray
Old 09-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Launching!

If you are looking to "upgrade" to Z06 manifolds, you would save more time and money by just porting your own stock manifolds. It would be better than spending money on something that will only net maybe 5 hp.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Your best bet is to save all your money and leave the manifolds alone until you're ready to buy Lt's.

It's not the flow thats the issue with them. Ok 98-00 exhaust manifolds don't flow quite as well as 01-02 manifolds. But you're talking like 2hp difference on a full bolt on motor.

Flow is not the issue. Hence people who swap to shorties usually only see 2-5rwhp at most, if that.

On a n/a setup its all about scavenging. And for this you need longer primaries in order to scavenge within an rpm range that the LS1 operates at. Mid length headers are ok on high revving setups. Lt's will scavenge in lower rpms. And lets face it the Ls1 is really a low rpm motor. Stock auto's shift at 5850rpm. And many cammed setups only rev to 6500rpm.

n/a = Lt's nothing else (sorry CA guys you just loose out, plain and simple and very unfair).

FI = Any tubular manifold, shortie, mid or LT. Scavenging does not take place with FI so maximum flow is essential. And with FI there will be enough gas flow to warrant tubular setups.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:25 PM
10 Second Club

IMO gut your cats, and then do LTs later. getting the stock manifolds off is a PITA, and id only want to do it once.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

You won't gain much from the swap. Honestly, you would have to purchase a rusted pair off of someone who did a LT purchase. Wait for a proper set of headers before you waste your time and money.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

I really hate headers! I've had them on several of my past cars and got tired of tightening them and replacing gaskets. I know there are several new types of locking bolts, but I really don't want to deal with them. I am doing a set of 243's ported, 02+LS6 Cam, LS6 intake, ported TB, Opened MAF, Harland Sharp 1.7 roller rockers, so I thought I'd see if anybody that bolted on the LT's had a pair for sale cheap. (I already have Corsa's and a Bassani X-pipe) I don't want to get rid of the cats even though I have an extra set....I really don't want the car any louder. I like how it sounds now and it's gonna get a little louder with the new cam..

So in short...Still looking for a pair of cheap manifolds!

Ray

By the way it's a C5 Convertible....

Last edited by ISeeRed; 09-12-2006 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Add comment
Old 09-12-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

put headers on this car only 3 months ago--have had at least 10 sets over my lifetime and the gain is worth the hassle---even on these set-back engines which i agree are a pain....
Old 09-12-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the '00 ones I yanked off my car, supposedly they are better flowing than the 98-99 ones... they're just collecting dust and destined for the dumpster if nobody wants 'em by thanksgiving. Lemme know.

-J
Old 09-12-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've had MAC headers on my car with Stage 8 locking header bolts (about $30) for the last 4 years....I have never had to tighten them and I have never had to replace the gasket. I used new GM gaskets when installing them.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Launching!

I think I still have the set I took off my '02. If you want them PM me and I'll check when I get home. It's kind of a bitch to ship, but I also have the rest of the system, including the two (instead of 4) cat system and titanium catback.

All of the above said, I would be remiss if I didn't add that I agree your best bet would be LT headers. The issues you mention haven't cropped up in over 2 years of owning my LGs. If you go stainless, they'll also last forever. If you retain a stock system with cats and CB, it won't be very noisy, either.

Last edited by exSSer; 09-12-2006 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks everyone....I'm looking at a pair tomorrow. I'll get back with those that offered some up if I don't scoop them.

Thanks,

Ray

Quick Reply: Looking for Z06 Higher Flow Exhaust Manifolds