Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

revision on my ported tb. no epoxy.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default revision on my ported tb. no epoxy.

fresh welds and drill holes - much better then epoxy... this wont fall out+looks original with enough work.

midpoint.

what water passage??

almost finished - needs light porting yet on the welds, the welds are alot harder to cut away then the cast tb.

exterior changes>

<exterior changes...

i know it not proven to increase any hp filling in the void, but looks better. this time im leaving it rough to see how the rough porting flows. and heres previous tb port pics for comparison-

Old 09-13-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks nice. Must have been a **** load of work of thought. Did you get a chance to take down the throttle stop a bit though with a lil grinding? I couldn't tell.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya for me the amount of time/effort for the results wouldnt be worth it.

Any plans to clean/polish it up like the original?
Old 09-13-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im going to polish the outside , but read in a porting article in a magazine that a slightly rough finish will improve velocity and create a boundry layer of air. so im going to leave it rougher - to see if its any different. was very time consuming with this , i probly have a total of three days into the tb with the previous port and now this, but if i welded it from the begining it would of only been slightly longer then the first p&p, polishing took longer then anything the first time.. the high speed wood/soft metal dremel bit i picked up speed things up alot though over sanding rolls or cut off wheel types- just cuts throught the aluminum alot faster.

yes the throttle stops grinded alil from previous port, also i took alil bit more out this time.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool

looks nice--lotta work for hp gain though...wanna do mine too...???
Old 09-13-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

I dunno if I should even say/ask this but since you used aluminum filler,....won't that sucker heat up real quick and help warm up the incoming air?
Old 09-13-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
I dunno if I should even say/ask this but since you used aluminum filler,....won't that sucker heat up real quick and help warm up the incoming air?
lol you being sarcastic?? the whole throttle body's made of aluminum, and no, theres nothing heating the tb up. no hot water going in it, not connected to any heat sources etc...
Old 09-13-2006, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
looks nice--lotta work for hp gain though...wanna do mine too...???
sure for $
Old 09-13-2006, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

No im not,....... Aluminum filler heats up faster then the cast aluminum for the TB because its been somehow treated for heat. Its not a huge issue,..I'm just curiouse cuz I though of doing it myself.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh, well i think it would actually stay pretty cold. the air coming through it will keep it quite cool, and unlike an aluminum intake manifold that would be conected to the heads wich would heat them up. the tb has nothing to heat it, may heat faster with heat apllied to it , but theres no heat being applied, it actually should cool the air more the more air that goes through it.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

How long did this sucker take for you to do? When I did mine,...I used JB Weld and I could honestly say,....even that was a pain. I'm talking about when you drill for the frig'n holes. I can't imagine the bitch its like with aluminum filler.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the holes were cake to drill,(i drilled from the back of the tb though) i did hafto to drill slower then normal or it would seize up,but it was very easy. the porting the welds was the hard part because the welds are so much harder, it doesnt port easy. the cast parts are like butter with the bit i was using, but when i was on the welded spots it was like using a cloged bit, even though it wasnt.