Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X vs H.. SOUND Questions.. i know another thread

Old 09-13-2006, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default X vs H.. SOUND Questions.. i know another thread

ok as you all know i have a 3" o/r x with magnapacks.. i jsut recently installed QTP LTs..

ok let me break it down..

IDLE = Deep/bassy
Cruise = can not really hear it. very tame that is my problem i want LOUD
WOT = Screams.. LOUD, sort of high pitched, racy with some deep tones.

now i want to keep the x pipe I THINK??? not to sure.. if i am correct the h makes more power under the curve? and the x is for top/peak HP????

how much louder is the ST vs. MapnaPacks.. Dynomax vs. MagnaPacks and ST vs. Dynomax.. yea ls1sounds.com does not do anyhting for me...

i want loud, deep and bassy that makes power.. i am trying to stay away
from 1 chambers

help me figure this out once and for all???
Old 09-13-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My personal opinion is that you can't go wrong with S/T. When I pick up my new F-Bod, the first thing I'll be doing is installing S/T true duals again.

I really hope you don't get flamed for this.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Z28Venom
My personal opinion is that you can't go wrong with S/T. When I pick up my new F-Bod, the first thing I'll be doing is installing S/T true duals again.

I really hope you don't get flamed for this.

yea i hope i do not get flammed for this either..

btw what is the difference between ST and my MagnaPacks??
Old 09-13-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
now i want to keep the x pipe I THINK??? not to sure.. if i am correct the h makes more power under the curve? and the x is for top/peak HP????
X-pipe should really make more hp and trq almost everywhere vs an H-pipe.

http://www.magnaflow.com/05news/maga...thusiast06.asp
Old 09-14-2006, 06:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Take any technical info like that with a pinch of salt, remember Maganflow sell X pipes and not H's.

To be honest there's probably little difference in most case in HP terms. The Mustang guys have the choice or either, and it certainly isn't conclusive either way.

As for sound, well personally I think the H sounds better, more old school. I can't remeber the site, but there's a Mustang equiverlent to LS1sounds.com and you can hear the same exhaust with an X and a H and the difference is quite staggering.

Also remember an engine will sound how it sounds. The Ls1 is not an old school OHV V8 and will NOT sound like one no matter the exhaust.

As for ST's well these are chambered mufflers like the GMMG catback uses. These operate and sound different to bullett mufflers which are packed with sound deadening material.

Personally I like the Powerstick mufflers from Classic Chambered Exhausts (use Google to find them), these don't neck done like the ST's do. But they are only available in aluminuised steel and not stainless.

Stainless Works, who are a sponsor make something very similar in stainless steel, but it will cost you more.

And lastly, why not 10 Series Flowmasters?
Old 09-14-2006, 06:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I have always heard that H sounds more like the old school muscle, but as stated above, you cant have that exact sound with the LSX motors.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Take any technical info like that with a pinch of salt, remember Maganflow sell X pipes and not H's.
I'll take your opinion with a grain of salt, seeing how it's been proven time and again that an X-pipe gains more power than an H-pipe.

Gases don't like to flow at 90 degree angles, it's pretty simple. Especially
when you consider what the function of the connection of the two pipes
is actully for.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

i want loud, deep and bassy that makes power.. i am trying to stay away from 1 chambers
Why? They're going to be really loud and give your exhaust a lot of bass. Not every Flowmaster flows like ****...
Old 09-14-2006, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FAST LS1
I'll take your opinion with a grain of salt, seeing how it's been proven time and again that an X-pipe gains more power than an H-pipe.
Please show me this proof, and not a dyno from someone who is actually selling X pipes.

Gases don't like to flow at 90 degree angles, it's pretty simple.
No it's not simple, and that's fluid dynamics for you.

Gases are quite happy traveling around tight corners. Here's a modern Formula 1 engine:

As you can see some of the bends are far greater than 90 degrees.

Especially
when you consider what the function of the connection of the two pipes
is actully for.
Can you explain to me what the function is, cheers?
Old 09-14-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Please show me this proof, and not a dyno from someone who is actually selling X pipes.
I will find the test later, but they're out there, and it's been proven many times.

Gases are quite happy traveling around tight corners. Here's a modern Formula 1 engine:
As you can see some of the bends are far greater than 90 degrees.
Can you explain to me what the function is, cheers?
Those exhaust tubes are Mandrel bent, not 90 degree turns in perpendicular tubes
like an H pipe.
As an engineer it's clear to me why the X is head and shoulds above the H pipe for power and flow.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

I will find the test later, but they're out there, and it's been proven many times.
Cheers, becuase when I've looked in the past I've never really found any accurate side by side tests.

Those exhaust tubes are Mandrel bent,
ok I'll give you that

not 90 degree turns in perpendicular tubes
like an H pipe.
As an engineer it's clear to me why the X is head and shoulds above the H pipe for power and flow.
Umm I'm still not sure, because the mid pipe scavenges does it not, so in which direction does the exhaust pulse travel along the H?
Old 09-14-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Take for instance the pulse traveling down the drivers side header, as it leaves
the header it comes to the H pipe. The majority of the flow of gas continues
straight towards the back of the car down the pipe. The pulse though makes
and abrupt 90 degree turn into the H-pipe to help qualize both sets of exhaust.
The pulse turning that 90 degree turn, then takes another 90 degree turn at
the end of the H pipe.

Two 90 degree turns, in perpedicularly fit pipes, is not conducive to flow.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

X-pipe should really make more hp and trq almost everywhere vs an H-pipe.

http://www.magnaflow.com/05news/maga...thusiast06.asp

i already have the magnaFlow 3" O/R X Pipe...
Old 09-14-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

FASTLS1 is right ----better gains with an x than a h pipe..have read this many times.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

To be honest there's probably little difference in most case in HP terms. The Mustang guys have the choice or either, and it certainly isn't conclusive either way.

As for sound, well personally I think the H sounds better, more old school. I can't remeber the site, but there's a Mustang equiverlent to LS1sounds.com and you can hear the same exhaust with an X and a H and the difference is quite staggering.

Also remember an engine will sound how it sounds. The Ls1 is not an old school OHV V8 and will NOT sound like one no matter the exhaust.

As for ST's well these are chambered mufflers like the GMMG catback uses. These operate and sound different to bullett mufflers which are packed with sound deadening material.

Personally I like the Powerstick mufflers from Classic Chambered Exhausts (use Google to find them), these don't neck done like the ST's do. But they are only available in aluminuised steel and not stainless.

Stainless Works, who are a sponsor make something very similar in stainless steel, but it will cost you more.

And lastly, why not 10 Series Flowmasters?

what scoundclip is similair to a mustang on an ls1?? yes i know all about mustangs b4 i got the TA i had a high bolt on N/A 97 GT.. hmm i wonder how the ST will sound Vs. the dynomax..

i loved how my stang sounded... iron block Vs. my Aluminum blockk
Old 09-14-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Iron Sights
Why? They're going to be really loud and give your exhaust a lot of bass. Not every Flowmaster flows like ****...

ohh yea i know that flows 1 chamber are basically straight thru,.. if i do flows then i need an h pipe.. not to found of how it sounds with an x
Old 09-14-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

i know that x pipes are great for power.. but how come i lost some low end tq with it????
Old 09-14-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

ohh yea i know that flows 1 chamber are basically straight thru,.. if i do flows then i need an h pipe.. not to found of how it sounds with an x
yeah--flows with an h pipe sounds the best of any exhaust i think.... better than GMMG/Chambered even.......
Old 09-14-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
yeah--flows with an h pipe sounds the best of any exhaust i think.... better than GMMG/Chambered even.......
hmm better than GMMG?? you sir are omn crack LOL
Old 09-14-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

what scoundclip is similair to a mustang on an ls1?? yes i know all about mustangs b4 i got the TA i had a high bolt on N/A 97 GT.. hmm i wonder how the ST will sound Vs. the dynomax..
The OHC modular Ford engine won't sound like a OHV SBC. But the difference an X makes over an H audiable is pretty similar.

X = more exotic and racey

H = more classic old school American muscle

i loved how my stang sounded... iron block Vs. my Aluminum blockk
Personally I don't feel the block material has any real affect, it more about the whole design of the engine. Cylinder heads, ports and firing order.

The Rover V8, aka Buick 215ci was designed in the 50's and has never been unliked for it's sound, in fact the total opporsit.

Most modern V8's and V12's are aluminum. Such as Jaguar, Mercedes, BMW, Ferrari and so on.

Even the older DOHC Aston V8 and OHC Jaguar V12, both products of late 1950's design and 1960's production methods. They had alumiunium blocks and sounded awesome.

Plus the modern take, Mach 1 and 99+ Cobra's have aluminium blocks as does the Ford GT.

The reverse logic is the LQ4 and LQ9 Chevy blocks, these are essentially LS1's with a cast iron block and the latter is used for the 408ci block that's popular. They still sound like a LS1 though.

i know that x pipes are great for power.. but how come i lost some low end tq with it????
It's not the fact of loosing torque its the fact of moving the torque curve.

Imagine the torque curve, it has a high point - PEAK torque. If you move the PEAK torque up the rpms the rest of the curve also moves to the right (higher rpms). This is because HP = torque x rpm / 5252

---------------------------------------------> higher rpms

stock = ---^---

X pipe =-----^---

Now at the same low rpm point you are actually further down the torque curve, such as half way down the left side of the 'stock' line, see on the X pipe one the same rpms aren't even climing yet. So you would be producing less torque at that rpm point.

This is the very reason idiots claim 4 and 6 cylinder engines don't make torque. When in fact its a simple physics answer. That it would be impossible for them to do so and if they did their HP would be very low. Just like many diesels. They may make 500lb ft but if it's only as high as 2500rpm then the HP will be pretty low.

500 x 2500 / 5252 = 238bhp @ 2500rpm

Search this Thread