Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Swap, now no start...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine Swap, now no start...

I did an engine swap for a customer that spun a couple of bearings on his '98 TA. The car started and ran when it came in. I removed that engine and replaced it with a '99 engine that his insurance company found and purchased for him. We finished buttoning it all up tonight but it won't start. It cranks and sounds all good but no start. It looks as if we are not getting any spark. I did have to reconnect the wires to the crank sensor pig tail that is right above the starter. The wires got pinched and severed during the removal of the old engine. I spliced them back together matching all three wires by color. I am sure it is something rediculously simple. I just wanted to pick everybodies brane and see if you had any ideas. Mabey I missed a ground wire or something along those lines.

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

If it's a crank sensor problem. It most likely set a code. Check cranking RPM's on a scan tool, If it's good that's not the problem.

Make sure all the coils are connected to the right spot. This is probably your problem. Since it was a 98, all the coils couldn't come out together.

Make sure the fuel injectors are all firing & check for any loose grounds and electrical connectors.

If all this is good, check compression. It's a used engine and may just be bad.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

Thanks, anybody else have any ideas...

I will EFILive the car this afternoon.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ThaLS1KidII
Thanks, anybody else have any ideas...

I will EFILive the car this afternoon.
ole Monsoon X on DFWstangs had the same problem with his 98...Only problem is...No one ever figured it out and he sold the car.