Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple of problems after LT install

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of problems after LT install

I installed my longtubes last week with minimal issues. Anyways I'm noticing a few things that are concerning me since I've been driving the car around the last week.

One thing that concerns me is when I'm taking off from a stop, I seem to get a lot of vibration coming from up front. Could this possibly be because when I installed the headers, I had to loosen up the motor mounts and maybe didn't tigthen them enough?

The other thing that happened the other night while I was driving the car is after getting on the throttle good and letting off the exhaust made a nice popping sound. Is this just because of the car running rich and extra fuel being burnt off?

I'm paranoid when it comes to these things but I'm open to suggestions. The main thing that concerns me is the amount of vibration I'm getting when taking off. I need to get this corrected this weekend on my days off TIA!
Old 09-15-2006, 11:18 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CHECK YOUR PLUGS! I had that issues of popping, I found out later that I have 3 cracked plugs. Fixed that problem when I replaced those damaged plugs. As far as vibrations check your LTs if it touching anything (firewall, K-member, etc.)
Old 09-15-2006, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Yeah I'm going to pull all the plugs and double check the wires. Not looking forward to doing that again I will double check clearance though on the headers and y pipe though! Thanks.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Things that cause popping in the exhaust:

Cracked plugs, but this also tends to have a noticeable stumble/misfire to it.

When the car is running and you let off the exhaust and here a good pop, thats a back fire from an exhaust leak.

What headers? THey could be close to the K-member or body and be vibrating and transmitting the feel through the car.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
What headers? THey could be close to the K-member or body and be vibrating and transmitting the feel through the car.
Pacesetters. From what I remember, I had good clearance. I will double check though.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 0utlawTorn
Pacesetters. From what I remember, I had good clearance. I will double check though.
Ive always had more vibration with pacesetter stuff on any car ive installed them on. not sure why and ive never removed motor mounts to install ANY headers. So id think you got them tight. Im guessing because its not absorbing the vibration like a manifold does since its tubular.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Ive always had more vibration with pacesetter stuff on any car ive installed them on. not sure why and ive never removed motor mounts to install ANY headers. So id think you got them tight. Im guessing because its not absorbing the vibration like a manifold does since its tubular.
I can understand some vibration...but this vibration seems to be a little excessive. Something must be touching. I guess I'll just have to get the car back up in the air and take a look!
Old 09-15-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

my cars vibrating like a **** too I've got hookers, and I seem to be having the same problems as you
Old 09-15-2006, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by james562
my cars vibrating like a **** too I've got hookers, and I seem to be having the same problems as you
Did you have to loosen the motor mounts at all?
Old 09-15-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

nope just pulled the steering linkage and took the saw-zall to the tab on the side of my block. Are you using O2 extensions or home made splices? Any problems with the way your cars runnig? Mine is running like ****...
Old 09-15-2006, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

nope just pulled the steering linkage and took the saw-zall to the tab on the side of my block. Are you using O2 extensions or home made splices? Any problems with the way your cars runnig? Mine is running like ****...
I bought O2 extensions. I didn't want to mess with splicing.
Mine seems to run ok except for the vibration and random popping.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine has problems stuttering under heavy acceleration. Do you notice anythng like that?
Old 09-15-2006, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Mine has problems stuttering under heavy acceleration. Do you notice anythng like that?
Nah no stuttering, just vibration.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the 16" rims your rollin' on, one of them might be wobbling.

I'm just poking at 'cha. I'm sorry if I seriously pissed you off. Not my intention at all. Just that's what me and Brad do to each ALL THE TIME. Joking around and sometimes cutting deep, but not enough to go to the hospital.

But seriously, if you car is still running strong, sounds like a leak somewhere. I don't remember what kind of clamps you used. Did you use U-clamps or band clamps? Also go through and tighten all the header bolts. You are supposed to check them after 200 miles or so just to see if any backed out. It might just be the ORY vs Cats. I'm not sure how an ORY is supposed to sound.

As for the vibration, if your Y-pipe bangs, which it probably does, it might even be resting on your floorboard and cause a serious vibration. Try the almighty Poly Motor Mounts and see what does. Short term you can do the heater hose trick. Jam a piece between your Y-pipe and frame/floorboard. Good luck. Later....
Old 09-15-2006, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

The Y pipe doesn't seem to be hitting. I took the car to an exhaust shop and had them fix that up because it was hitting and rattling against the floor board.
As for the clamps, I used the U clamps because Brad yelled when I was going to buy band clamps.
I'm going to go over all the header bolts on Sunday and make sure everything is tight and double check all the plugs/wires. I'm also going to check the EGR plug and make sure that isn't leaking.
BTW, where can I get the poly motor mounts?
P.S. I'd rather be rollin on 16s than those nasty 17s you have
Old 09-15-2006, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 0utlawTorn
The Y pipe doesn't seem to be hitting. I took the car to an exhaust shop and had them fix that up because it was hitting and rattling against the floor board.
As for the clamps, I used the U clamps because Brad yelled when I was going to buy band clamps.
I'm going to go over all the header bolts on Sunday and make sure everything is tight and double check all the plugs/wires. I'm also going to check the EGR plug and make sure that isn't leaking.

BTW, where can I get the poly motor mounts?
http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&sid=137#P1366

http://www.ls1speed.com/catagory.cfm...%20/%20Chassis

3rd from the bottom on both pages.

P.S. I'd rather be rollin on 16s than those nasty 17s you have
Yeah, you voted that they were sweet, so
Old 09-15-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its prolly the plugs that are causing the popping. I had some backfire and ticking issues and when I tightend down all my plugs and wires, the ticking and backfiring went away.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL you sounded like me when i installed my LTs last weekend..

i ahd the same vibration... get your car up on a ramp.. look at the passanger side LT.. follow the priamry down the the K member.. THERE IS WHERE IT IS SITTING! right on the k member... i took a sawzal and notched the k member out.. but for some unknown reason i still have SOME vibration at 2400 RPMs 1st gear thru 5th gear.. most be where exshasut has a specfic tone and vibrates right there... as far as the popping goes no idea.. i am in good in that dept..
Old 09-15-2006, 10:33 PM
Launching!

I have the vibration too from if I take off from a stop, almost a banging sometimes... K member?