Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cutout DIRECTLY after Y-pipe

Old 09-16-2006, 01:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cutout DIRECTLY after Y-pipe

So with much looking and contemplating i have found that this is the only place that i can fit a cutout into my exhaust. I will have to cut a tiny bit of the Y-pipe and some of the I-pipe and then have flanges welded on and the cutout i have is already flanged on either side so it will bolt in (makes removal of exhaust and y-pipe and such easier) I was wondering if im going to have any problems putting it here? my only o2s are on my longtube headers and my hi-flow cat is in the spot most people place their cutouts. this is why i chose this area, can anyone send me pics or anything related to this idea... i know one guy is doing it but he hasnt done it yet.

Any help?
Old 09-16-2006, 01:15 AM
TECH Addict

the most common place to put a cut out is in the I-pipe...

you will have no problems with it there
Old 09-16-2006, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

No probs. As stated above. There are a ton of people here that have that. A little after the Y-I connection. There is a place under the rear pass seat that is made for a cutout. hehe. You would think by looking at it anyway. There are lots of pics out there. I know that Manny has posted a few.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:12 AM
TECH Regular

no thats not where im talking about.. in my post i said thats where my CAT is. So i am forced to put the cutout somewhere else.. and i think that right where the y and I meet is a good place but im not sure if it will fit... sorry for the confusion but yea.. not that place where everyone else puts it.. but about a foot closer to the headers right where the y and I meet
Old 09-16-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

Originally Posted by nodnarb481
no thats not where im talking about.. in my post i said thats where my CAT is. So i am forced to put the cutout somewhere else.. and i think that right where the y and I meet is a good place but im not sure if it will fit... sorry for the confusion but yea.. not that place where everyone else puts it.. but about a foot closer to the headers right where the y and I meet
your cat is RIGHT UNDER the right rear pass. seat ????
Old 09-17-2006, 12:32 AM
TECH Regular

that little spot where everyone puts their y-pipe? yea thats where my cat is.. i dont know why.. but it is
Old 09-17-2006, 01:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nodnarb481
that little spot where everyone puts their y-pipe? yea thats where my cat is.. i dont know why.. but it is
wtf are you talking about

look over that post and see what you just said...

there is no options on where you can put your y-pipe (it can be altered) but not a wide selection of choices... you have two cats... one right after the driver side manifold and the other where a passenger would lay there feet (it's that bump in the carpet.... ****** GM )

you are goin to put it in the I-pipe... which is after the y merges... approx. 2 ft. away from your rear axle
Old 09-17-2006, 02:07 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your cat would not function properly if it was that far back. You would be getting the ole' SES light if that was really the case.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Regular

wow yea.. i just caught that... my cat is right where people usually put thier CUTOUT, about 2 feet after the y-pipe back before the exhaust goes over the axle.. Therse no SES light and i passed PA emissions with it. There are no cats in my y-pipe.. I have hooker longtubes with o2 sensors in them, hooker y-pipe (no o2 sensors), and a hooker catback with a stupid hi flow cat that welded in the section of the I-pipe where it looks like it was made for a cutout..

i just need to know if there is any room for a cutout where the Y-pipe and the rest of the exhaust connect to each other
Old 09-17-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

Yes there is room. A guy I work with has it right where the y-pipe and i-pipe meet.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

completely off topic.. but if you are only working with 1 highflow cat i'd say you're choking your motor.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Regular

really... explain.. Im trying to get the most out of my car (hence the cutout topic) how can i not choke my motor? or let me rephrase that.. how is it choking my motor?
Old 09-17-2006, 10:28 AM
12 Second Club

I am having the same question but with mine, I have a stock y-pipe, I can't put it on the I-Pipe because I have my bullet resinator there.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Cats can only flow a certain about of CFM. Anything over a certain ammount of air flow and air starts becoming restricted and can not exit the exhaust properly. If you have two cats (one on each side of the y) each cat only has to filter half the air that your original setup did, hence, a lot less restrictive
Old 09-17-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Regular

..genuis.. yet so not genuis.. i guess im gonna buy two mini cats from pypes and then ill fix the exhaust to be what it originally was except with a cutout in that golden spot.. thanks
Old 09-17-2006, 10:45 AM
12 Second Club

with my situation, i think my bullet can be moved back a little bit and the cutout right before it on the I-Pipe.... I think it will work.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

yea i saw your post.. i was gonna say something but i havent quite gotten myself together on this... but as of now im going to by two pypes mini cats in my y-pipe (now that i know the one hi flow is restricting it) and then the cutout will go in the old hi flow cats place right where everyone else puts it. Im guessing two mini cats will flow better then one hi flow... will these cats be any restrictive on my set up?

Last edited by nodnarb481; 09-17-2006 at 11:52 AM.

Search this Thread