Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will MSD Blaster Coils Smooth a Out rough Idle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 02:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will MSD Blaster Coils Smooth a Out rough Idle?

I have a large cam, and I was wondering if MSD Blaster coils would help improve my idle a bit, because they have multispark?
Old 09-19-2006, 03:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol, if you have a large cam the only thing that's going to smooth out your idle is raising your idle speed until it quits loping.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

Default blaster coils

The coils built by MSD are no different from the factory coils in the regard that they will only spark or fire as often as they are triggered by the controlling ECU. They may have a higher voltage output than the factory coils, but if the factory computer is controlling them, they will not operate in a different fashion than the stock coils they are replacing. My own two cents worth would be to look at the rough idle as a symptom and explore fuel mixture and timing settings to try to improve the idle quality with your current setup. My vote would be to save your hard earned money.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
lol, if you have a large cam the only thing that's going to smooth out your idle is raising your idle speed until it quits loping.
Well, doesn't it lobe because it is missing? And if you increase the number of sparks would it not stop it from missing?
Old 09-19-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Veteran

msd coils will spark with more voltage so the unburnt gas that use to go through your engine with the stock coils will now be burnt which in return you make more power bc all the fuel is being used and not wasted. but the coils will not help the idle at all, my thoughts are to buy another cam with with high duration low lift and like a 115 lsa...
Old 09-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bjamick
msd coils will spark with more voltage so the unburnt gas that use to go through your engine with the stock coils will now be burnt which in return you make more power bc all the fuel is being used and not wasted. but the coils will not help the idle at all, my thoughts are to buy another cam with with high duration low lift and like a 115 lsa...
I don't really mind the lobing to much, I was just curious if they smooth out the idle a bit.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:08 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cgillies86
Well, doesn't it lobe because it is missing? And if you increase the number of sparks would it not stop it from missing?
No it's not missing. Lope is caused by the overlap from your cam. The overlap is there to help upper rpm scavenging to produce more power, but at lower rpms it produces the loping sound you hear. To smooth out the idle of your current cam, you have to increase the idle speed and add timing....still not going to completely go away though.

If you don't like that sound something is seriously wrong with you.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
No it's not missing. Lope is caused by the overlap from your cam. The overlap is there to help upper rpm scavenging to produce more power, but at lower rpms it produces the loping sound you hear. To smooth out the idle of your current cam, you have to increase the idle speed and add timing....still not going to completely go away though.

If you don't like that sound something is seriously wrong with you.
well, I got my answer that was all i needed to know. BTW I do like the sound. Someone was telling me that MSDs would smooth my Idle out. So, I just wanted to ask to see if they were full of it or not.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:56 PM
JBM
TECH Enthusiast

NO. I wasted money on these coils. No smoother idle. No additional HP. But they are red...
Old 09-20-2006, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JBM
NO. I wasted money on these coils. No smoother idle. No additional HP. But they are red...
But, they made your car faster, right? They claim they put out more voltage, and everyone knows that will make more power over the ineficient stock system. I'm sure you track tested them back to back.. (sarcasm off).
Old 09-20-2006, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by under pressure
The coils built by MSD are no different from the factory coils in the regard that they will only spark or fire as often as they are triggered by the controlling ECU. They may have a higher voltage output than the factory coils, but if the factory computer is controlling them, they will not operate in a different fashion than the stock coils they are replacing. My own two cents worth would be to look at the rough idle as a symptom and explore fuel mixture and timing settings to try to improve the idle quality with your current setup. My vote would be to save your hard earned money.
i sencond that, i still have mine but, im not to hapy with them i could off invest it w/ something, $74X8=$592 out of bullshit it did made my rpm a litle faster but, still very rough idle w/ a big cam.

Quick Reply: Will MSD Blaster Coils Smooth a Out rough Idle?