Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who all is running TSP true-duals/Flowmaster single chambers???Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 12:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Who all is running TSP true-duals/Flowmaster single chambers???Help!

So after hearing numerous sound clips of the single chambers and duals, along with a few of these in person, I HAD to change my setup to these. I was told that the easiest thing to do would be to get the TSP setup minus mufflers and add the one chambers. So I ordered it all up and installed it this weekend.

Here's the problem, they hang low, REALLY low! I was expecting a loss in ground clearance, but not this much! I don't even have 3 inches

So who out there has this setup and has made it fit nicely? It's looking like it's gonna take some tweaking of the x-pipe or adding some tubing after the x to get the flows in a different location. Right now the driver side one is about 1/4-1/2 inch from touching the torque arm, so there as high as they can get in this configuration.

Pics would be great! And yes, I know that there's custom setups that fit nicely, but there is nowhere around here to get mandrel bends, thus the reason for the TSP system. So I am specifically looking for the guys that have made this setup work.

Thanks
Old 09-24-2006, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
So after hearing numerous sound clips of the single chambers and duals, along with a few of these in person, I HAD to change my setup to these. I was told that the easiest thing to do would be to get the TSP setup minus mufflers and add the one chambers. So I ordered it all up and installed it this weekend.

Here's the problem, they hang low, REALLY low! I was expecting a loss in ground clearance, but not this much! I don't even have 3 inches

So who out there has this setup and has made it fit nicely? It's looking like it's gonna take some tweaking of the x-pipe or adding some tubing after the x to get the flows in a different location. Right now the driver side one is about 1/4-1/2 inch from touching the torque arm, so there as high as they can get in this configuration.

Pics would be great! And yes, I know that there's custom setups that fit nicely, but there is nowhere around here to get mandrel bends, thus the reason for the TSP system. So I am specifically looking for the guys that have made this setup work.

Thanks
do you have to have mandral bends? That far down the exhaust...it probably won't hurt to much to have reg bends going under the axle into those mufflers...just a though. On a side note, how much did tsp sell the true duals to you for without the mufflers? I want true duals with 1 chambers too.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't most people beat in the floor pans in the back seat to help tuck the single chambers up?
Old 09-24-2006, 05:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, you have to expect a substantial loss in ground clearance. I have done a lot of beating on my car, but i still wouldnt beat in my floorpan.

I wish there was a way i could check out the car, and maybe help you out.

Are you sure you have the x-pipe right side up? Alot of guys put it on upside down, and then get the kind of ground clearance problems you are having,.....might wanna look into that.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
Man, you have to expect a substantial loss in ground clearance. I have done a lot of beating on my car, but i still wouldnt beat in my floorpan.

I wish there was a way i could check out the car, and maybe help you out.

Are you sure you have the x-pipe right side up? Alot of guys put it on upside down, and then get the kind of ground clearance problems you are having,.....might wanna look into that.
I know what your talking about as far as the x-pipe goes. I have tried it both ways and it does fit worse/lower in one postition vs the other. I have it the way that fits the best/highest right now.

So do you have the same setup that I have? (TSP duals) And if so did you just slide the one chambers over the end of the x-pipe and rig up some hangers? I have them absolutely as high as they'll go, there isn't hardly any clearance between the torque arm and the mufflers. I am thinking that I am going to have to tweak on the x-pipe, or add some tubing to get them back closer to the axle and higher.

This is an extreme PITA, but it's worth it for the sound this setup emits, it's what I always dreamed of
Old 09-24-2006, 07:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
do you have to have mandral bends? That far down the exhaust...it probably won't hurt to much to have reg bends going under the axle into those mufflers...just a though. On a side note, how much did tsp sell the true duals to you for without the mufflers? I want true duals with 1 chambers too.
I don't want them after the axle. And after spending this much on the TSP system, I don't want crushed bends.

TSP sells the setup without mufflers for $335.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by taintedmeat
Don't most people beat in the floor pans in the back seat to help tuck the single chambers up?
Couldn't make myself do that man, and honestly it wouldn't help. They're as high as they can be cause of the torque arm. The only way to gain clearance will be to repostion them further towards the rear of the car, or to spread the x-pipe further apart so the torque arm won't be directly above them, then I can move them on up.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

If you could get pics that would help a lot.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianC98Z28
If you could get pics that would help a lot.
x2.....let's see where you have them mounted, sounds like they're too far forward.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Resident

Heah Brian, you know how my set up is....The only thing that is hittin gthe ground is the X pipe. When I get the cahnce I am going tohave my set up changed a lil bit. I am going to add some length between the header and X pipe, that way it will clear the tranny.

On my set up I think moving it back about 6 inches will help clear up my problem. Mu Bullets look like they hang low, but I never have a problem with them, It's always been my X.

Good luck with your new set up man....
Old 09-26-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by taintedmeat
NO!!!! You shouldn't have to beat on your floorpans to gain clearance. Work on moving the x-pipe around some. I know you will loose some clearance with the 1 chambers, but it shouldn't be that much. My friend had the TSP system with sweet thunders on his WS6 and it had better clearance than my 2.5" custom setup. It helps to have someone esle under the car helping you adjust the system.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:19 PM
10 Second Club

Alright guys, I moved on sun nite and I haven't been on the internet since before the move.

Anyhow, to the point.....problem has been solved! Today after work I added approximately 1ft of pipe strategically placed to both sides after the x-pipe. The driver side I had to cut the existing pipe a little after the x-pipe, then add in the new section. On the passenger side I just removed the muffler, added the extra length, and then put the muffler back on. By doing this I was able to raise the mufflers a considerable amount. Now the lowest point in my exhaust is the x-pipe, which wasn't causing any problems, so I am good to go. BTW, I didn't have to bend the new pipe any, so the worries of non mandrel bent pipe being used isn't a concern.

Also, by moving it back this small amount, the interior resonance, vibration, and drone was drastically reduced. I loved it before, and thought it couldn't be better, but now it is.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Music to my ears. How about some pics?
Old 09-28-2006, 07:50 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah Brian we need pics!!
Old 09-28-2006, 07:14 PM
10 Second Club

Alright guys, I will get some pics from under the car over the weekend. They might be with my cell phone but that's better than nothing.

Also, stay tuned and on the lookout for my first track runs with the heads/cam and new exhaust

Quick Reply: Who all is running TSP true-duals/Flowmaster single chambers???Help!