Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with exhaust selection...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with exhaust selection...

well im going to finally take my v6 out for good. ive put off switching for long enough. yes i can get the power but in the end its still a v6 - and will always sound like one. so in will go the ls1. what i would like some help on is the exhaust. i have searched and searched and searched, but it always come down to people being biased with their reply and no confirmation on this "rasp". as well as most people are talking in terms of having cats and drone. heres the planned setup for my buggy: either 1-3/4" or 1-7/8" headers (i dont know on the length unitl i get in there and make them), ill probably stick with using 2" for the intermediate pipes, on into a 3" y-pipe. from there its the muffler and the exit will turn out right after. total length will still be about three feet from the collector. the exit will most likely be 3-1/2". i have always run flowmaster race mufflers (same as the single chambers you all are used to) in single chamber and my current 3-chamber with the v6. i have listened to ls1 sounds.com but nothing compares to hearing in person. flowmasters are awesome, but im looking for a different note for this motor. the sound im looking for i cannot describe, but if i could fit the muffler, i would most likely have a truck series boomtube. however it would be a bit noisy at idle tho; remember, my exhaust exits right behind me, and there is no barrier besides my seat to block sound. i do want loud, but id like to have a somewhat quieter idle than the boomtube - but still have the note. when i read the gmmg vs. loudmouth threads, i leave just as confused as when i first read it. so, for my specific application, similar to a car with headers, no cats and i guess running out the back (less drone), what would you all suggest? right now im leaning toward the loudmouth, but id like to know other options and opinions. again, im looking for something different that still carries on with my tradition of mean-sounding exhausts. i want this motor to literally scream furiously at me and the spectators at the courses and trails when i gotta get on it - if that makes sense. sorry for the long post, but i wanted my different application to be understood.

thanks,

jeremy
Old 09-24-2006, 11:31 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Building true duals will help with the sound, reguardless of the mufflers. An X or H pipe would be a must.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no room. space is almost nonexistent. ill barely have room for 3" pipe and a 4" dia. loudmouth and still fit heat shielding in there. basically it comes down to a free-flowing single that is about four feet long. is there a difference between catted duals and a big, free-flowing single? i understand the h-pipe and what it does. im referring to flow since that is a big factor of the way a lot of exhausts sound.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:57 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by j-dubya
no room. space is almost nonexistent. ill barely have room for 3" pipe and a 4" dia. loudmouth and still fit heat shielding in there. basically it comes down to a free-flowing single that is about four feet long. is there a difference between catted duals and a big, free-flowing single? i understand the h-pipe and what it does. im referring to flow since that is a big factor of the way a lot of exhausts sound.
Stuff 2 18" bullets in there, or a bullet and a powerstick!

I would not use the loudmouth resonators as a ******* PATCH job, much less a real system.

Post some pics of that bad boy!