Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading my 98 WS6...Opinions wanted...

Old 09-25-2006, 06:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading my 98 WS6...Opinions wanted...

Hey guys, i had a question or two that im betting you can help me out with.

I just got out of the air force and now that i have some time, and money on my hands id like to start upgrading my 98 TA. Anyway, ive set aside $5,0000 for performance upgrades, ie exhaust and under the hood stuff. Anyway, im pretty set on getting either the GMMG cat back w/the oval tips or the Borla Split Rear Exit package.

Would it make more sense to go to the LS6 heads and LSX intake? Also with the money ive got to spend what type of headers would go well with the Borla/GMMG exhaust? Im leaning towards Pacesetter LT's but id like to get some opinions from other TA people.

And one last question, with the remaining $3,000-3,500 what other upgrades would you recommend for under the hood?
Old 09-25-2006, 08:01 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My suggestion...

longtubes, true duals, LS6 intake, lid, (stall)A4, gears, (clutch)M6, pulley, P/P tb.

If there is still money left (substantial money) cam/heads, springs, pushrods, oil pump, timing chain. But, I'm just a camaro driving fool, .
Old 09-25-2006, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

You kind of left out what you want to do in the long term.

I asume by under the hood you are talking motor work only and have $$ for supporting stuff?
Old 09-25-2006, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

50000?? **** i would buy a zo6, or did you mean 5,000,
Old 09-25-2006, 08:47 PM
11 Second Club

I'd go longtubes, ory, and save the $800 GMMG money and just put a cutout in front of the rear axel. Use that money for a cam kit. Then like ^ said, stall or clutch and some drag radials.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:50 PM
Teching In

LOL, i meant 5 grand, not 50.

I could always pony up a grand or 2 more if needed. Really im looking to get somewhere between 400-450 RWHP on my car. I figure with 5 K or so thats a pretty realistic goal. As for the long term, i really just want to get to the above mentioned HP, upgrade the suspension and work on a custom paintjob. But for right now i really want to focus on exhaust, engine and other supporting parts. The bells and whistles will follow later....
Old 09-25-2006, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

Will you be installing this stuff yourself?
Old 09-25-2006, 09:00 PM
Teching In

The exhaust, yes.....once i get into the finer points on the engine then no. I've got a good friend who will be doing the engine work.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Go with either true duals, gmmg or borla. Ive got borla and I love the sound with headers and catted y. If you get a cat back instead of duals, I would definitely go with a catted y pipe. Texas speed makes a pretty nice one. Without cats, the exhaust can get pretty raspy. Pacesetters are great headers for the price. If you want to listen to my set up its the 2nd link in my sig. After exhaust you should get an air lid and either free ram air or get a FTRA or SSRA. Definitely get a stall. Then maybe look into a new intake and throttle body, then cam and heads! Hope that helps
Old 09-29-2006, 03:15 AM
On The Tree

H/C pakage, & pacesetter LT's w/TSP true duals
Old 09-29-2006, 04:45 AM
TECH Resident

Kooks LT headers, custom H pipe tru duals with single chamber mufflers, stall, gears and 12 bolt rear end if ur gonna go for some serious power. maybe bigger injectors, but that might not be needed for 450 rwhp. Koni SA with lower front perch and rear hose mod. Sway bars, Strut tower brace, adj panhardbar, Cold air intake, and if u have more money left, then fast intake, nick williams 90 mm TB... at least thats what im doing to mine, cept 9 inch rear, upgrade tranny, clutch, and a big *** turbo and ofcourse H/C swap with that. You also might want to consider a tune after all that also.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:45 AM
TECH Resident

o right... and ofcourse forged internals for me, but u wont have to worry about that
Old 09-29-2006, 08:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with the following parts with you budget.

Pacesetter Ceramic coated LT's (TSP has a package with ORY)
3" ORY
LS6 intake (used on here is cheaper)
PRC spring & pushrod kit (again TSP has this package for a great price)
Cam of your choice (I like the TR224/224)
Clutch or stall (if goin stall chose carefully)
Harris Speed Works dry kit
SFC's (your choice)
LCA's w/relocation brackets (your choice)
custom DYNO tune

Thats should handle your power you want to achive & if you install evereything yourself you might still have some money left for a nice set of DR's.

And since you mentioned possibly bein about to muster up another $2k, I would highly advise a 12-bolt at that power level.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

There are lots of options. And it depends how extreme you want to go.

For the power level you state you really need to go h/c.

TSP offer some nice setups. Maybe PRC s1 heads and MS4 cam - a little wild. Or Terminator heads and V3 cam - more tame but more money.

You'll want a lid, stock filter, bellows and MAF. No point upgrading them as it'll cost you $$$ for no HP.

As for intakes, a FAST 90/90 is good, but pricey and may not really fit your needs. A Ls6 can be had for $400 and porting your own TB is free.

However I'd be tempted to have a look at the new 85mm Typhoon manifold from Professional Products.

On to the exhuast, headers are a must. Pacesetter or Edlebrock are great as coated mild steel. QTP or Kooks for stainless steel, but they will cost you double.

As for the mid pipe and catback, well it depends. Are you going to run cats? If not take a look at TSP Rumbler X dual exhust. GMMG is nice but pricey. Although there is thread of a new 4" exhuast using Classic Chambered Powerpack mufflers. Same as GMMG just bigger and better flow. TSP offer an off road Y pipe if you plan on a catbakc and pacesetters.

You'll probably need a few other parts when doing the h/c and a tune will be needed.

All this should easily be doable with in your budget.

don't forget about chassis and suspension though. Check out Sam Strano for suspension. And I quite like UMI Performance chassis components.

Lastly a stall and probably gears are needed if your A4 along with a tranny cooler. M6 will want a clutch and shifter. And maybe gears also.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:16 AM
11 Second Club

my setup meaning:
-cam and all the goodies install yourself -$1000
-9" Moser built to the max installed yourself-$2300
-LS6 intake and P&P installed yourself-$400
-Headers and full exhaust installed yourself-$600
-Professional Dyno Tune done by a professinal-$500
-$200 leftover for gas and drag runs!!!!

110K in 100 degree heat 372/372 to the ground!

Search this Thread