Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange noise

i bought my t/a a few months ago and about two weeks after i bought it, it started making this weird rattling noise from the front of the car, some people told me that it was my cats so i had them removed and i still have the same problem, does anyone know what this could be?
Old 09-26-2006, 11:29 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Front of the car is pretty general, can you narrow it down a bit?

There should be some tubes coming off of the exhaust manifolds. The one that comes off the driver side has a matching one on the passenger side. This is the AIR system, which has some check valves that like to rattle.

Try to localize the sound and get back to us. Also, what are all the mods to the car? What year is it?
Old 09-27-2006, 09:54 PM
Teching In

After listening more to it, it sounds like it coming from right under the car somewhere near where my cats should be. The only mod i have on so far is the SLP lid and K&N filter, and its a '98.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Kings Fan
After listening more to it, it sounds like it coming from right under the car somewhere near where my cats should be. The only mod i have on so far is the SLP lid and K&N filter, and its a '98.
Under acceleration, in park sitting still, when braking, cruising, only when cold, after warm-up, all the time no matter what???????????

More info. If its just on start up for a second or two, then clears up, and you're an A4, I'd say your converter is loose. Otherwise without more info.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:01 AM
Teching In

My bad, i knew i was missing something, the noise only happens under acceleration, on idle you cant hear it but once you give it gas it'll start rattling.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Kings Fan
My bad, i knew i was missing something, the noise only happens under acceleration, on idle you cant hear it but once you give it gas it'll start rattling.
If you don't hear it on start up than its probably not converter bolts. Because once it starts and the flywheel is spinning the bolts tighten up from stress and the sound goes away. But after the bolts have worked themsleves out enough, you WILL hear them during the initial acceleration. Than when you are at a cruising speed the stress releases a bit and the bolts might not rub anymore. Than, ultimately, the bolt will almost be out and MY GOD will that make an amazing amount of noise. I lost one bolt on the way to the mechanic and I really thought engine parts fell out onto the road when that bolt fell out. IF you have an A4??????????

You can jack the car up and check'em yourself but its a bitch to tighten them. You need to lock-tight them too.

Other than that, jack the bitch up and with your hand touch everything you can and try to find something loose or something that flexes enough to touch another metal part. (ie: loose exhaust)

Old 09-29-2006, 04:42 PM
Teching In

yeah that sounds like the problem, any idea on how much it would be to fix? and yeah its an A4