Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I port my throttle body?

Old 09-28-2006, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do I port my throttle body?

I'd like to try and port my throttle body with a dremel tool. Will that work just as good as taking it to a shop? And if I do, is it just the lower lip I need to smooth out? Details........
Old 09-29-2006, 05:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

see sig
Old 09-29-2006, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good write-up, 300.

I did my TB a couple of weeks ago. I think a dremel would take forever. I used a variety of tools and did it a little differently than some.

The aluminum is soft so I was able to use the various shaped wood rasp drill bits. Flat, triangular, and the rounded tip. I put them in my air powered die grinder. They would work in a drill but it would be hard to manuever.

I didn't fool with the epoxy and tubes. There was a story a while back from a guy whose epoxy job wasn't up to par and it fell out into his intake. I believe it got into his motor, as well. Others have opined that the tube part isn't that big of a deal.

I also didn't do the shaft mod. I didn't want to take things apart and the mod wasn't desirable enough to fool with, in my opinion. For those wanting every teeny, tiny little extra bit of airflow, though, it would be on their list of things to do.

As I've been able to infer from research, the biggest thing to do is to open the throat of the TB all the way out even with the blade diameter. Don't open the throat past the blade diameter or you'll screw up your idle.

From there it's just smoothing the bell into a nice, even transition to the edge. Some polish it to a mirror finish, others don't. I didn't.

It gets a bit messy with all those aluminum chips flying around. Be sure your blow out all the bits and pieces. I cleaned my entire TB off with carb cleaner, too.

It took a while for the car to learn its new idle afterwards. I unhooked the battery for greater than ten minutes to reset everything. I was worried about it all but it evened out after a day or so.

It was great fun. I felt an increased throttle response off idle but I couldn't tell much higher up. My SOTP dyno is inop, evidently.

I ported the MAF, as well, but that's a different story.

Last edited by Mr Incredible; 09-29-2006 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

That's a write up by Wilwaxu. But there are many many ways of porting a loads of write ups.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the dremel does take awhile unless you get a "high speed wood cutter" cuts it away fast except welded aluminum.. takes an eternity on the welded.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thing is that you don't wanna rush it. I did mine with a dremel and I think the extra time allows you to be more percise and carefull.

My Cardomane link has pic of my Throttle Body p/p and Throttle Stop job if you wanna take a look at it.

Search this Thread