Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Muffler suggestions

I'm planning on doing a true dual setup similar to this one (please pardon my lack of MS Paint skills).

Basically what I want to do is get a set of Pacsetter headers and run the exhaust through an H pipe then the mufflers and dump the exhaust right before the rear wheels.

What mufflers would be small enough for this kind of setup? I want it to be loud but not annoying loud. I was thinking maybe Flowmaster 1 chamber mufflers.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:30 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You would need to run 2.5" tubing and you can forget lowering/subframe connectors. There's been a few systems done like this before, do a little search.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been designing a setup like this myself. Except I was planning on running dual tips out the side as opposed to dumping. I think there's plenty of room providng its well planned. You also need to keep the lateral pipes as close the axle as possible. The middle of the car is the lowest when going over speed humps and such. So the closer the rear wheels the better clearance angles it will have.

Personally I love the sound of chambered mufflers. 10 Series flows could be used but I think you may find them hard to locate.

Are you planing on running CATS? They would help with db level control and would tuck up nice before the H pipe.

Personally I think the Classic chambered Powersticks are the way to go, or if you want them in Stainlees Steel Stainlees Works sell almost the same thing called Powerpacks. They are very similar to the mufflers used on the GMMG. They are long and very narrow (just look like tubing) so locating them will be easy.

I would run a long muffler down each long length, if you want it quieter you also add a smaller muffler in each lateral section of pipe too.

Another combo would be to add a bullet muffler (Borla/Magaflow) where the CATs would be, then add a chamber muffler along the I section. Personally I'm not too keen on the bullets. But it's a personal preference.

Myself, I'll be using LM resonators as I already have a LM catback. Means I only have to buy one extra muffler, plus I have the tips alread. But I will be running it with CATS so rasp won't be an issue.

Blur - love the new sig