Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edelbrock Victor headers w/slip-on collector

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 10:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Edelbrock Victor headers w/slip-on collector

What's the deal with a slip-on collector? I've never seen one, but it seems that it should be welded, shouldn't it?
Old 10-05-2006, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes once installed you should weld it up so it won't leak. If it leaks before the O2 sensor it won't get accurate readings and it will start dumping in more fuel thus running rich.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True. So how the heck do you get to the insides where the primaries all are close? YOu can't get a weld in there can ya? I guess I should just buy the welded version, huh?
Old 10-05-2006, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's what i did. the merge collector's a prolly only good for a few ponies anyway. not worth the trouble if you ask me.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BUY THE WELDED! For God sake I cannot urge you to do this enough. I bought the slip fits and they leaked like a B*tch. Once they are installed you cannot simply weld the outside. You must weld the inside where the 4 pipes meet in a star shape (you know what I'm talking about if you've seen them or have them) as well. I learned all of this the hard way. I had to pay to have the headers completely removed, new collectors welded in, and put all back up. Talk about some nice labor charges Go with the welded and save yourself a lot of heartache. The slip fit's are only meant for absolute all out race applications where you want to tune the length of where your primaries meet the merge.