Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which cutout to buy?

Old 10-05-2006, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which cutout to buy?

Ok I've heard a lot of talk about QTP cutouts, I also found one frmo jegs which is by Race Ready Performance. There not bad in pricing, for some reason I always thought they were more money. Anyways which do you prefer. Which one won't fail me lol! I rather pay a little more for qaulity and save myself the trouble, so let me know what type of cutouts you guys run, and your reviews.

Race ready

QTP
QTP Cutout
Old 10-05-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Regular

To be honest with you, I got the QTP a while back when I was first modding. 2 months later the cutout motor stopped working. Called QTP....got a new one, no big deal. About 3 months later ditto, quit working. I ended up just taking it off and putting a plate on there with washers and nuts. I know it takes away from the coolness factor of opening it while you drive and all that, but a manual one is A LOT cheaper and realiable. But then again when mine was working it was pretty cool. Just food for thought. Good luck with the decision.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

good ole stainless QTP manual cutout here
Old 10-05-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

After doing some reading I went with a DMH cutout.
I didn't hear too many bad things about them, you always hear horror stories with E-cutouts.
They are a few bucks more than other cutouts but they have a 3 year warranty.

I have about ~$1,500 invested in QTP products but after spending a good chunk of change on a piece of junk Y-pipe I've since steered clear of them.

BYUNSPEED is still running a McCloud cutout special in the sponsor section if I remember correctly.
Check them out. I think they have a 2 year warranty ... but don't take my word for that.

I have no opinion on the Race Ready ones from Jegs because I've never heard of them.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Silver02TA
good ole stainless QTP manual cutout here
Really tho guys? Am I better off with a manual. I won't complain on the price difference lol! But are they really that much of a pain in the ***. I like to goof around on the streets so I figure the electric would be cool.

How loud will the cutout be. I've been ok so far with the LT's through the Borla, "with no restriction plate". No cop complaints so far, but driving around casually with the cutout you think I can pull it off? I have an M6, I can keep the rpm's down. What do you guys think lol!
Old 10-05-2006, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Snuffles
After doing some reading I went with a DMH cutout.
I didn't hear too many bad things about them, you always hear horror stories with E-cutouts.
They are a few bucks more than other cutouts but they have a 3 year warranty.

I have about ~$1,500 invested in QTP products but after spending a good chunk of change on a piece of junk Y-pipe I've since steered clear of them.

BYUNSPEED is still running a McCloud cutout special in the sponsor section if I remember correctly.
Check them out. I think they have a 2 year warranty ... but don't take my word for that.

I have no opinion on the Race Ready ones from Jegs because I've never heard of them.
How does your DMH handle? Any issues with it?
Old 10-05-2006, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bossz28
How does your DMH handle? Any issues with it?
Yea, see, there's a slight issue with that.
I haven't installed it yet.

Once my B&B exhaust arrives (6 week wait) this Wednesday I'll put it on.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was thinkin about doin an electric cutout too, . . heard to many complaints about the motor, even though there are hundreds of successful stories, i didn't wanna chance it and go through the hassle, and i save myself 150 bux by buyin a simple summitracing.com cutout, . . eh, who needs stainless steel?? i think its only 24 bux too! plus your a m6??? definately go that route!!!!!
Old 10-05-2006, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Snuffles
Yea, see, there's a slight issue with that.
I haven't installed it yet.

Once my B&B exhaust arrives (6 week wait) this Wednesday I'll put it on.
Oh ok lol! That's cool, well hopefully I'll have my answers by then.

i am looking into DMH now, they look pretty legit, the fact that exhaust is all they do pleases me. Seems like a good product. I know a guy in my club with a DMH cutout now that I think of it I'll have to find out from him. Thanks again for the help tho.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll probably get a stainless steel manual cut out. But if I had money to burn, there is a non-sponsor that makes an electronic cutout with a guillotine closing mechanism. I think it looks like a winner, but it costs over $500.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
plus your a m6??? definately go that route!!!!!
What would it matter if he's an M6 or not? Curious because I was thinking about a cutout too. I'm wondering if it will be louder than my GMMG
Old 10-06-2006, 01:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

i like my good ole flowtech....no problems
Old 10-06-2006, 04:20 AM
TECH Resident

Jegs manual CO here.....best $20 bux i've spent yet I keep mine open most of the time , so for me, the electric CO seemed like a waste of $$$ however, with the electric u do have the luxury of opening/closing it at the flip of a switch
Old 10-06-2006, 08:31 AM
Teching In

I have the QTEC like 99'formula and have the same motor troubles that he mentions. When it is working it is great, but I seem to go through about a motor once a year. I am on my 3rd of 4th motor at present. This can be quite a pain, but since I live in NJ it is not much of a problem. Every time it goes, I take a little ride to QTP and they fix it right up. Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check out the one off ebay i got that one and it is a true 3.5 inch cutout to max flow of all exhaust out...the qtp measures 2 5/8 inches...and i believe it is actually cheaper and he has now stainless y pipes really nice...had mine for over a year and i use it alot and still seals up perfectly
Old 10-06-2006, 02:40 PM
10 Second Club

Had a QTP went through 2 motors and decided to try McCord. Much better and cheaper. Has worked flawless for 7 months now.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
What would it matter if he's an M6 or not? Curious because I was thinking about a cutout too. I'm wondering if it will be louder than my GMMG
I think what he was trying to say is since Boss is a 6-speed he can keep his RPMs down if the Po-Po are around he is running an open manual cutout.

The cutout will be louder than your GMMG but the GMMG has a much cleaner sound.
If you're running GMMG right now it's almost a waste of money to put a cutout on.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

I have the QTP for about 4 years now i think. Works like a champ and never skipped a beat. I had a mccord and that didnt last very at all. Friend had dmh and that crapped out and was impossible to get in touch with dmh. He sold it and runs a qtp like me and never had a problem. All they guys by me run the QTP
Old 10-06-2006, 08:09 PM
TECH Junkie

manuals can make the cut-out pretty quiet by shifting to the next gear when police are around, . . cops gone? put it in a lower gear rev up and dump the clutch!!!
Old 10-06-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

QTEC here, no problems, been running it for 3 months, open and close it l ike 50000 times when I drive it. Stock muffler+cutout+lopey cam=lot of fun

Search this Thread