Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my car tuned correctly?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my car tuned correctly?

I just had Pacesetter LTs and TSP true duals (sounds awesome), the guy used Hp tuner to turn off rear o2 sensors so i wouldnt have SES light and also said it would prevent the car from running lean and should get another 10 horse possibly but my car doesnt really feel any stronger than before headers and exhaust. Does this setup just not give that good of a gain or is my car tuned incorrectly, it idles and runs great no problems so i am thinking it is just a crappy setup, by that i mean maybe there is just little gains from it. kinda hope its the tuning though, so i could just have it redone and see good gains. Let me know what you guys think.

Wheeler99ws6
Old 10-06-2006, 12:39 PM
uno
On The Tree

on a 99 i've read that the LT's give you around 25rwhp with a tune. you should be able to feel that. what y pipe are you running?
Old 10-06-2006, 12:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wheeler99WS6
I just had Pacesetter LTs and TSP true duals (sounds awesome), the guy used Hp tuner to turn off rear o2 sensors so i wouldnt have SES light and also said it would prevent the car from running lean [heeler99ws6
I'm no expert, but if that's all he did, he didn't tune your car, he just shut off codes that really don't affect anything.

Did he put in on a dyno ever for tuning, spend significant time driving it around and tuning other things?
He may have put in a canned tune I suppose, but you should def feel some more pull with a full exhaust mod.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

UNO: TSP true duals is a no cat xpipe sweet thunder mufflers that dump before axle.

DIRTYJOHN: you might be right I think I am just gonna try to take it somewhere to have dyno tuning done,....oh no he didnt put it on a dyno, he said he just used hp tuner. He only had the car for day and a half, I dont think he would of had time to dyno it, he doesnt have a dyno he said he could take it to a dyno and do it for me but it would be around 350-400 bucks. He claimed just tuning it in the garage would be sufficient but i guess i didnt understand that i wasnt gonna be getting good gains unless it was dyno tuned. So that is next on the list, dyno tuning. Thanks guys.

Wheeler99ws6
Old 10-06-2006, 01:14 PM
uno
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Wheeler99WS6
UNO: TSP true duals is a no cat xpipe sweet thunder mufflers that dump before axle.

oops my bad, musta skimmed over the true duals part.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:52 PM
12 Second Club

I don't know, im sure a good tuner could pull off a tune in a day and a half.
Maybe just ask specifics on what he did, i don't want to give the impression he lied or anythign. You can tune without a dyno, but WOT tuning would be .... easier.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Yea all it sounds like he did was tune out the rears, which all they do is tell the PCM if the cats are working, you will need to get it tuned b/c the air/fuel is off due to the headers
Old 10-07-2006, 02:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

headers are hit or miss. some cars need to be tuned to show a gain..others don't. how much did this guy charge you. Its sort of sounding like you got ripped off. The guy had your car for way mroe time than he needed. He is also makign **** up. The rear o2s only tell the computer how well the cats are working(you eliminated them, so he tuned off the ability for it to throw a code)...but it is impossible for those to have an effect on performance. is this guy a well know tuner..or jsut some random guy with hp tuners? Also, which where you bring your car to get a tuned, an inexpierenced tuner could ruin your engine.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:34 AM
11 Second Club

full dyno tune in half a day at synergy motorsports one of our sponsers
Old 10-07-2006, 11:51 AM
Banned

If you know what your doing it only takes a couple hours to do a full tune on a car .