Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any one ever caught wihtout cats?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 12:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Any one ever caught wihtout cats?

So i know its a "fereral offense" but has anyone with ory or orx/h ever been fined or got put in trouble for having no cats? im in california and i pry have a better chance cuz im in california but i wonder what would happen? anyone wanna chime in with this??? thanks
Old 10-06-2006, 01:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive never seen or heard of it here in fl, but its a 5grand fine i believe
Old 10-06-2006, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Ive never heard of it either, but as long as your not the original owner you could just say it was like that when you got it and that you didnt know.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

Unless you jack up my car, good luck finding out...
Old 10-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Teching In

I've been driving around without cats for almost 4 years and have never had a problem. I also try not to attract attention to myself when I'm driving though.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SStick Bandit
I've been driving around without cats for almost 4 years and have never had a problem. I also try not to attract attention to myself when I'm driving though.
as i'm not the original owner, the statement above would work.

also when i drive i try not to attract attention to myself, but you also got to think about how many cops want to bend over and look under your car.... and do they even care to. there job is supposed to be keeping criminals and stealers and etc off the streets and blah blah blah. not to look under cars and see if it has cats or not.

now getting inspected is another story.... some places won't risk it others will. they will look under the car and say ok good. others will say you don't have cats... you fail , get cats and then i will re-inspect you
Old 10-06-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never heard of anyone getting caught up but the EPA is the ones who are looking . That is why the shops are scared cause they dont know who is coming in their shops to get the work done .
As far as the police , most of them love the sound of a v8 as long as it is not ripping up the street and endangering other folks . If you go through a residential neighborhood late at night doing burn outs and acting a fool then you are only asking for trouble .
Old 10-06-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have known a guy... about 3 years ago now.. who was caught doing dounuts in a school parking lot (about 4pm while there was still kids in the HS).. cop came.. cited him for all sorts of things.. then since the guy was mouthing off to the cop.. the cop deamed the car "unfit for road use" because of certain things he had.. had it towed to the impound yard, where it was then inspected by a Smog reff.. Reff found no cats, no EGR (this was an LT1 car) no air, long tubes.. ect... fined amounted so high, it was over the amount of the car.. not to mention the ticket for "exibition of speed" "wreckless driving" "Wreckless driving in a school Zone" "Sound decible ordinance"(dont know the exact name for that)

it was rediculous to say the least.. he had to appear in court and pled guilty to tampering with a polution controlled vehicle.. and other things..

it was a mess.. CA sucks .. dont get caught.. not worth it.

oh and in case you guys didnt know the new rules in CA. If a cop pulls you over.. he can now ask you to pop the hood without a search warrant.. if you refuse..(which you can) 99% of the time they will impound your car and search it there.. and yes.. its all at YOUR cost.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I honestly don't think cops care if you have cats or not unless you are out street racing, doing burnouts, and really asking for it. Then I think is where they will try to get you for whatever they can. But honestly, I'm sure they have better things to do most of the time besides pulling a car over to see if it has cats on it. To me its a small risk, and I will get around to putting cats back on my car when I find the time to do so. But until then, I drive normally, and I don't get hassled. Go for it.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
I have known a guy... about 3 years ago now.. who was caught doing dounuts in a school parking lot (about 4pm while there was still kids in the HS).. cop came.. cited him for all sorts of things.. then since the guy was mouthing off to the cop.. the cop deamed the car "unfit for road use" because of certain things he had.. had it towed to the impound yard, where it was then inspected by a Smog reff.. Reff found no cats, no EGR (this was an LT1 car) no air, long tubes.. ect... fined amounted so high, it was over the amount of the car.. not to mention the ticket for "exibition of speed" "wreckless driving" "Wreckless driving in a school Zone" "Sound decible ordinance"(dont know the exact name for that)

it was rediculous to say the least.. he had to appear in court and pled guilty to tampering with a polution controlled vehicle.. and other things..

oh and in case you guys didnt know the new rules in CA. If a cop pulls you over.. he can now ask you to pop the hood without a search warrant.. if you refuse..(which you can) 99% of the time they will impound your car and search it there.. and yes.. its all at YOUR cost.
Dayuuuuuum!
Old 10-06-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

Damn, CA is horrible. Does the checking if you get pulled over apply to only CA residents or if say you are visiting CA?

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6

Old 10-06-2006, 05:31 PM
12 Second Club

10000 federal offence.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Watch out in Florida to you guys who just gut your cats and leave the cat housing in place, the State Troopers carry laser pen temp gauges, just like the electric companies use when they come to your house to do an energy survey. They kneel down and point it at the cat, then at the exhaust pipes right next to the cat. The cat better be alot hotter than the exhaust pipes...or your busted.

As you guys know, if an exhaust shop does exhaust work and removes or gutts cats, they will get in trouble, not the car owner.

So...If they ever catch me with my gutted cats I'd rather just say the name of an exhaust shop that did the exhaust work......BUT say a shop thats been out of business for 2 years, paid cash, no receipt. I know of 3 in my area.

Always a way to beat the system. Ain't no way I'd get in trouble for it.

Old 10-07-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^ Ah crap
I thought in FL we were safe
Old 10-07-2006, 06:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Quickin
Watch out in Florida to you guys who just gut your cats and leave the cat housing in place, the State Troopers carry laser pen temp gauges, just like the electric companies use when they come to your house to do an energy survey. They kneel down and point it at the cat, then at the exhaust pipes right next to the cat. The cat better be alot hotter than the exhaust pipes...or your busted.

As you guys know, if an exhaust shop does exhaust work and removes or gutts cats, they will get in trouble, not the car owner.

So...If they ever catch me with my gutted cats I'd rather just say the name of an exhaust shop that did the exhaust work......BUT say a shop thats been out of business for 2 years, paid cash, no receipt. I know of 3 in my area.

Always a way to beat the system. Ain't no way I'd get in trouble for it.

that seems like they got to get on the ground just to point a laser. i dont think this will happen often.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Launching!

these days with high flowing cats, its not worth it, you can get those carsound cats off ebay for around 50 bucks each. I had some and they flow realy well, they are very light and have very minimal catalyst inside them yet they are still CARB. On the oter hand I doubt many cops go through the trouble of looking, especially if they are driving alone. I sure wouldn;t want to go sticking my head under someones car if I was a cop, who knows what the driver might do. Also with all those accidents with rubbernecking drivers hittiong cops and the pulled over cars, the last place I'd want to be is on the ground looking. I think they will check if your caught racing or hanging out with a bunch of racers or ricers and they decide to stop everyone and do a search. I'd just act dumb and say I'm missing what? will that ruin my car? i bought it just as it is. THe smell of non cat cars might get you caught, I kinow many people always say or ask why my car smells so bad.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:02 PM
12 Second Club

I don't know how valid an argument the poilce would have if they check your cats and find them not working, have you ever seen a bad cat sometimes there is nothing left inside after they go.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol, just don't remove the cats and ya'll don't gotta worry about it????
Old 10-08-2006, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Splitz
lol, just don't remove the cats and ya'll don't gotta worry about it????
and miss out on how a V8 should sound? **** that.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think ill stick with my true duals with long tubes 4 get the cops all they can do is take you to jail BIG WHOOP