Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cherry Bomb??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cherry Bomb?? Exhaust setup need help!!

is anyone using cherry bomb mufflers??

im getting a custom 2 1/2 true duals and i want something different from magnaflow, flowmaster and all that, im currently have a borla catback...

with the TD im installing also a JetHot Lt headers..

this are the cherry bomb that im considering:

extreme muffler :
one 2 1/2 inlet & one 2 1/2 outlet

and the Glasspack

-my car is stock for the moment, i only have the ram air, box lid and the catback wich im changing for the true duals + the hooker headers...

in the future is comming:
3.73 (next month)
Ls6 intake
ported Tb (next month)
ported Maf(this month)
stall (maybe 3000) (not soon)
cam 226/230 (looking for a DD cam) (january maybe)
and a PCM tune (next month)

btw im going over the axels with the TD so should i do 3" from the collectors to the X and the 2.5"? or all in 2.5" ???

thanks!!

Last edited by SOULPOWER; 10-10-2006 at 12:33 AM.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

the first one looks like a 1 chamber flowmaster with dual exit, interesting, i wonder what they would sound like?
Old 10-09-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Junkie

idk about the extreme, looks like a decent design, but i would steer far away from the glasspacks. the redneck truck sound doesn't belong on an f-body.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

I have glasspacks on my S10 blazer. They don't sound really good just loud....but for $20 on a beater you can't go wrong. Go with flowmaster or sweet thunders from what I can tell from LS1sounds.com and you would not be disappointed.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

I think cherry bomb glasspacks only belong on 4x4 trucks.

I don't know anything about the extreme mufflers.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i thought all loudmouths used cherry bombs?
Old 10-09-2006, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Full-Force
i thought all loudmouths used cherry bombs?
Negative. The loudmouth is basically just an empty stainless steel bullet muffler shell. Loudmouth 2 is actually a stainless bullet with 'sound deadener' in the shell cavities. A cherry bomb is an oldschool glasspack with "louvers" that direct a lot of the sound AND flow into the walls of the bullet, reducing sound and greatly restricting flow at the same time. The restriction of the louvers is what causes the cackle that oldschool glasspacks are known for.

In contrast, a modern bullet muffler like a Dynomax or Magnaflow is a smooth straight shot through, with no louvers to restrict flow. The inner tube is perforated to somewhat reduce the volume, though not by much. Here's a pic of the interior of the Magnaflow bullet in my exhaust right now:

Old 10-09-2006, 10:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What length is that Bullet? Also, why an LT1 radiator?
Old 10-09-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trust
What length is that Bullet? Also, why an LT1 radiator?
Bullet is 18 inches, I think like 24 total if you count the small sections of pipe on each end. And I got that lt1 rad because my stock one had a side tank bust open on it earlier this summer. The lt1 radiators are a direct bolt in, and have an extra core row in them for added cooling capacity. If you ever looked at SLP's website and saw the heavy duty or "extra cooling capacity" radiators for sale, those were just lt1 radiators. Side by side with the stock one I removed, the middle section of the radiator was a good 1.5 inches thicker. Does a good job of keeping the car cool idling in traffic on those 105 degree afternoons here in Austin. Hopefully those are gone for a while now.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:58 PM
Launching!

Lol arnt cherry bombs old school muscal car lol just thought i might say that if your looking for sounds hooker cat back sounds awsome
Old 10-10-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Regular

i know magnaflow sound great, but to many of my friends has it, so i looking for something alittle bit different...

about the glasspack, haven't heard any good comment, so lets forget about that option...

now, surfing the net, i found this info:

4"X9" Oval 6" Body, 12" Overall 2 1/2" Center/Center , Extreme Series Muffler

The Extreme muffler is designed for the enthusiast who wants to exploit the potential sound they can get out of their car. It was intentionally designed with a smaller wing, a shorter body and no internal baffles. This combination maximizes both sound and air flow. The Extreme muffler is a perfect fit for vehicles that need to get to the next level of sound and performance.

4"x9 3/4" Oval 13" Body, 19" Overall 2 1/2" Center/Center, Pro Series Muffler

The Pro Series muffler is a two-baffle, flow-wing design that creates maximum flow while maintaining the back pressure vital to an engine's performance. The flow-wing works much like an airplane wing, creating a high-pressure/ low-pressure system inside the muffler. It is designed to pull the air around the flow-wing while reducing resonance. The body of the muffler is made of 16 gauge aluminized steel, while the end caps are made of 14 gauge aluminized steel to ensure lasting quality. The Pro series is also offered in 409 stainless steel.

so i guess for sound and performance the pro-series will be better that the extreme...

now on the other hand my car is stock for the moment, i only have the ram air, box lid and the catback wich im changing for the true duals + the hooker headers...

in the future is comming:
3.73 (next month)
Ls6 intake
ported Tb (next month)
ported Maf(this month)
stall (maybe 3000) (not soon)
cam 226/230 (looking for a DD cam) (january maybe)
and a PCM tune (next month)

btw im going over the axels with the TD so should i do 3" from the collectors to the X and the 2.5"? or all in 2.5" ???

Thanks for your help!!
Old 10-10-2006, 01:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

We have a cherry bomb glass pack and stinger rear pipe on our VW Baja Bug down in Mexico and it sounds loud as all hell.

Plus, when you let off at anything over 1/3 gas (like for a shift) the thing just goes "BAM!" out the back and scares the **** out of anyone around you.

Only new car I've ever seen with one was a blue STI. I didn't really like it, 'cause every single time he shifted (I was driving next to him through a bunch of stop signs) it would make the same loud bang. Kinda made it sound like the car was not feeling too well or something.

I dunno, it would definitely be different......
Old 10-10-2006, 01:24 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also feel that the cherry bomb is a 4x4 thing. I would look into the dynomax if you are wanting to do a straight through design bullet.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:43 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd highly recommend a set of Classic Chambered Powersticks if you want the classic muscle car sound from your true duals.

Check out the link in my sig.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:17 AM
11 Second Club

Sweet thunders Are not all that bad. I just put a set on mine, they sound really nice at idle and cruising speed, but when get it on it, it really sounds badass, I really like it when it shifts gears at high rpm, has a little rasp and back pressure.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Regular

at the begining i want the xr1 borla, because i have a borla catback and i like the sound of the borla mufflers... but $$ ha ha if i can save 100 will be great lol

i watch the vids of the classica chambered powerpacks, sound nice to!!

so no one has used the cherry bombs ??
Old 10-10-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Junkie

XR1s are nothing like the borla catback muffler. ur comparing a race muffler to a conventional style. Cherry Bomb was just revived so i doubt many have experience and many ppl don't know about them at all
Old 10-10-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Regular

i know its a different stylo of sound what i mean is that i like the sound of borla...

i guess i dont want to try something new at this point so maybe i go with the xr1 (many good comments)

and about the size of the pipes??
Old 10-10-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll get flamed for this but what the hell, I love the sound of glasspacks as long as they are the long body ones with at least 2.5" exhaust and on a powerful car. They got a bad wrap because they sound terrible on a 150hp 4x4 that is worn out and takes forever to make it thru a gear at WOT and that is just about all they are on anymore.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:11 PM
TECH Regular

im going with the borla xr1 2.5in/in 2.5 in/out

thanks for all your help!!

Quick Reply: Cherry Bomb??