Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LTs ORY open cutout wanna get rid of rasp?? Come on in!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LTs ORY open cutout wanna get rid of rasp?? Come on in!

I have pacesetter longtube headers TSP ORY and a Hooker catback, but I run an open cutout all the time because I want it loud especially with my cam. I had HORRIBLE rasp from 2000-3000 rpms! So I drove down to the local exhaust shop and had a 16" dynomax bullet installed in the I pipe right in front of my cutout. Let me tell you guys it has a much much deeper tone and sounds way meaner than it did before! It's still as loud as it was before and get this..........99.9% of the rasp is GONE. Im extremely pleased with the dynomax bullet and would recommed it to everyone who wants a deeper tone and cut out the rasp!
Old 10-13-2006, 07:11 PM
12 Second Club

thanks for the tip. I just got cats instead.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:17 PM
Launching!

haha.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds almost like a "dyno-mouth" setup. good idea
Old 10-14-2006, 12:32 AM
TECH Regular

thanks for idea. will take intp consideration
Old 10-14-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been thinking about putting a dynomax bullet in the I-pipe in front of my cutout. Then i would get rid of my muffler thats in the stock location and put straight pipe there. Would this sound good?
Old 10-14-2006, 05:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sounds like a TSP Rumbler (dynomax bullet in I pipe, no muffler).

I had that with lt's and ory, it still rasp'd between 2200-2500 ish. Sure was loud though.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Asmodeus
that sounds like a TSP Rumbler (dynomax bullet in I pipe, no muffler).

I had that with lt's and ory, it still rasp'd between 2200-2500 ish. Sure was loud though.
Im not very concerned with the rasp but i want it to sound good and be loud
Old 10-14-2006, 07:40 PM
12 Second Club

That’s what I did when I ditched my ORY dump for my true duals, two 16 dyno's

Kevin D
Old 10-14-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've heard that bullets do a lot to cut down on rasp. So does a catted y-pipe. Magnaflow makes the hi-flow cats for the Kooks catted y-pipe (they may make the whole y-pipe...I don't know), and on both '02 WS6's I've run this set-up on, rasp was tolerable. I have heard good things about Random Technology's catted y-pipes, too, but as far as I know, their y-pipes are made to bolt up to OEM exhaust only. QTP makes an interesting-looking catted y-pipe.

After installing my 383 stroker, I decided to go with a Kooks stainless ORY behind my Kooks long-tubes. The cat-back is a stainless Magnaflow. Wow! Not only is the ORY MUCH, MUCH louder, it's waaaay too raspy for my taste. As soon as I can sell the ORY, I'm going back to a catted y-pipe. I think I'm laying down enough power that returning to a catted y-pipe won't hurt me very much. This set-up is so loud, it's actually unpleasant. At lower RPM, it's tolerable, but when I kick 'er in the ***, I rattle windows in the next county.

As a side note, (and this is just my personal opinion) I've always thought the aluminum LS-series of engines were inherently raspy. I've heard stock exhaust set-ups with nothing but cat-backs, and just about all of them sounded horrible. Raspy would be an understatement. At our local track, we have a test 'n tune night every Tuesday night. An '02 WS6 showed up one night. It was bone-stock except for a Borla cat-back. Once again, this is just my opinion, but the car sounded like crap. Borla makes good stuff, but behind an LS1, they sound like a chainsaw to me. I think it's very difficult to find a long-tube header/y-pipe/cat-back combination for LS-series engines that produce that nice, deep rumble.

On the other hand, it's nothing to find a cat-back that makes an LT1/LT4, with or without headers, RUMMMBLE.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

very true, LS1 s are gonna be raspy by nature
Old 10-15-2006, 12:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
Im not very concerned with the rasp but i want it to sound good and be loud
Well, LT's, ORY, TSP Rumbler.. you could hear my car literally from a mile away. I was by the shop, they had it out on a road which is exactly 1 mile away, running it hard, making sure nothing was going to be loose or rattle, and I could hear it on a calm day.

Quick Reply: LTs ORY open cutout wanna get rid of rasp?? Come on in!