Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you guys help me with a couple questions/worries?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 09:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can you guys help me with a couple questions/worries?

I'm trying to think of new things to do to my car. I don't want to do anything huge right now, so I've picked out a couple smaller things that I'm thinking about. I do have some questions and worries about each one though. Could you help me out by telling me if you think they are worth while mods and if what I'm worrying about are really problems? Thanks

1. Ram air. I have a couple questions/worries about this one. How much of a difference is there in no ram air/FRA/SSRA or FTRA or SLP or something like that? Then my worry about this one is water. I try not to drive my car in rain too much, but it does happen and I've been caught in some pretty hard downpours before. How much of a risk is there with the FRA/others? (should I even bother trying to seal off my WS6 hood and make my own that way?)

2. ASP/SLP Underdrive Pulley. A have a couple questions about these. Is there a difference between the different brands? And I was looking at the ASP ones and they have different pulleys for the same car. Are different ones of those better/worse for our cars? My worry about this is the fact that I will be getting the less electricity. Is it really that much of a problem? I don't have anything but the stock monsoon sound system in my car and thats all I'll ever have, so is it a problem for other electronics in the car (lights, headlight, stereo, ect.)?

And I know there was one more.... but I can't remember it right now... hmmm... oh well, I'll let you know if I remember. I guess that's all for now. Have any suggestions for any others?

Thanks guys
Old 10-15-2006, 11:05 AM
12 Second Club

ttt... anybody know this stuff?
Old 10-15-2006, 08:02 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Click on the links below and read thru them. They should help you out

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/361959-so-you-wanna-fast.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/520845-mod-guide-induction-exhaust-please-read-before-posting.html
Old 10-15-2006, 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the links, but I've already read through those a few times actually. All they do is tell you what the things do, just the facts, and I'm looking for people's opinions. Are they worth it? And are my worrys really anything to worry about? That's what I would like to know.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

ttt...
Old 10-16-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

Neither one is gonna get you anything substanstial, or even seat of the pants feel. WS6 already have the cold air intake, so why mess with it? Pulley have been known to cause amp loss and in some cases overheating, why risk the trouble?

Do something that makes the car more pleasing to the eye. Just my .02
Old 10-16-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1. dont know as i live in nj and hard rain doesnt really exist here compared to other states ive been in. also - camaro.

2. no electircal problems with mine, was alil bit of a hassle to install.mostly finding a big enough impact wrench to remove the crank bolt, then removing the pulley was alil bit of a pain- only because its hard to get ahold of the pulley.. i didnt really notice any difference , but i installed a electric water pump before the u/d pulley , so it wasnt freeing up as much parasitic loss as someone with a belt driven pump. personally id wait to get an u/d pulley untill you do every external bolt on and add one while doing a cam swap.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

That's probably a good idea now that I think about it. Other than the ram air (and the LS6 & ported TB that i am currently looking for), what do I have left for bolt-on's? Seems like with those four things I would have all of the most common ones, just not some like the water pump and stuff like that.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Speedmonster185
That's probably a good idea now that I think about it. Other than the ram air (and the LS6 & ported TB that i am currently looking for), what do I have left for bolt-on's? Seems like with those four things I would have all of the most common ones, just not some like the water pump and stuff like that.
What about a torque converter/stall?
Old 10-18-2006, 06:01 PM
12 Second Club

I probably will do that, but not until next spring. I'm just looking for some things to do this fall/winter that aren't huge projects, but will still get me something.