Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help, header/head prob

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 12:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help, header/head prob

I was putting my longtubes on the car today and ran into a couple snags.

i need longer 02 sensors for one, where could I pick them up?

the problem now... all the header bolts were tight on the passenger side, with the gasket in... and the header was still very loose, so I started torquein everything more, as I moved around to various bolts others would get loose again, and i kept tightening them.. it finally started to stop movin so much.. when I went to tq the FRONT bolt... it snapped.

what can i do? it felt like it was bottomed out. ALL the bolts were VERY tight, the header was still loose.

any suggestions on what i could do? do i have to pull the head? its snapped of inside the head, so I cant get a crab on it with anything.

I appreciate any help.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:41 AM
12 Second Club

You can buy O2 extensions they are cheaper and a lot of our sponsors carry them.
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=260&catid=57

As for the bolt you can either tap and die, or try to have someone weld the head of the bolt back on and loosen it up.

And the loose header, it sounds like the screws are too long. Did you buy the correct ones? Did you buy a thick enough gasket?
Old 10-15-2006, 12:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh **** dude. youre about to have a bad damn day with that busted bolt. you can have it welded and taken out, or you may have to pull the head and grind the ****** out
Old 10-15-2006, 01:07 AM
Launching!

gasket was the factory from gm gasket.

bolts were the factory exh manifold gaskets.

screw pullin the head!!!

if i do that i'm gonna put my gtp stage 2+ heads on, and while i'm at it may as well do the cam too. ****.

yall think maybe an easy out would get it?

not sure if the 24" extension will be enough... i'll check though. thanks
Old 10-15-2006, 01:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Id pull that head and get some new strong bolts. If you have enough room in there sonce its the front bolt you might be able to drill the bolt out with a right angle drill or something like that.
As for the sensors, you can extend them with wire. I do and it works fine for me.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:39 AM
Launching!

where to get bolts though?

i'm thinkin maybe the bolts are too long with that set of headers, and only one gasket?
Old 10-15-2006, 01:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

What headers are they? Whenyou put them back on if the bolts are short use some washers on them.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

do yourself a favor and get some 3/4 inch breslin LOCKNIG header bolts
Old 10-15-2006, 02:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by brad8266
What headers are they? Whenyou put them back on if the bolts are short use some washers on them.
u mean if they are too long?

not sure what headers they are to be honest. i picked em up used, my tuner wasnt even sure, he thinks they are an older set of hookers.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tainted
do yourself a favor and get some 3/4 inch breslin LOCKNIG header bolts
where would I find these?
Old 10-15-2006, 08:14 AM

WOW, first off, you need washers or new header bolts. The stockers are too long and will bottom out. Second you needed O2 extentions. You should have read up on that before you started. Now you probably need to pull the heads to get the bolts out and hope they are not stripped.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:57 AM
Banned

how far is the bolt sticking out of the hole? you will need a 1/4 inch of it sticking out of it to be able to weld the head on the bolt to get it off. unless you drilled a hole in the bolt head and weld it from the head end. it wouldn't be that hard to easy out it. as soon as you get it to start to turn back it will come out easy. it will just be hard at the beginning because it is up against the wall of the cylinder head hole.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You could also pick up a set of rear vette o2 plugs.. Bosch 13111 if memorie serves me right. It comes with the longer connector, and you won't have to worrie about the code some people throw with the extensions.. GL getting that bolt out...
Old 10-15-2006, 12:41 PM
Launching!

the bolt broke off IN the hole... nothing is sticking out.

yea.. well I broke a header bolt so I at LEAST need A new header bolt. anyone know the thread info on those bolts?

so an extension may throw a code? thats not cool :-/ . what about my rear 02s? the cats are gone, and the rear 02s are off, can I just unplug them.

i started it on a whim... all the parts to do a heads/cam/headers/ypipe were in my garage, lol, EXCEPT washers and 02 extensions haha but I can wire those myself if I want.

if i cant get the bolt out of the head i guess its the excuse i need to do heads/cam eh?
Old 10-15-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LordOfChaos
so an extension may throw a code? thats not cool :-/ . what about my rear 02s? the cats are gone, and the rear 02s are off, can I just unplug them.

if i cant get the bolt out of the head i guess its the excuse i need to do heads/cam eh?
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but on some cars the extensions cause a Circuit Low Voltage error. But it's hit or miss. If you can wire it yourself, try extensions first, it'll save u some cash as the o2's are around 60$ each... Intake mani bolt broke in my head, perfect excuse for new heads i'd say... haha
Old 10-15-2006, 03:16 PM
10 Second Club

Don't weld anything, Think about it. If you are going to weld a steel bolt, that means the heat on the welder has to be able to melt steel, which in turn will cause you to potentially melt part of the head. Remember aluminum melts a much lower temperature than steel. I would try an easy out first.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:36 PM
Launching!

welding wasnt gonna happen at all.

i'll try extensions, if they dont work... sell em on here and buy new 02s.

i AM going to try the easy out first.

i should just man up and do my heads/cam lol
Old 10-15-2006, 03:42 PM
10 Second Club

Hell YEHA
Old 10-15-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Flange thicknesses are diferent from header to header. My kooks the flange was same thickness as stock manifolds so the bolts worked fine. But i have heard that other brands of headers have thinner flanges, so if you use stock bolts sometimes they will be too long and you will run into problems breaking them off, or cracking heads. Just what i have heard not 100% sure its true.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by B-MAN
Don't weld anything, Think about it. If you are going to weld a steel bolt, that means the heat on the welder has to be able to melt steel, which in turn will cause you to potentially melt part of the head. Remember aluminum melts a much lower temperature than steel. I would try an easy out first.
you could weld it if it was out of the hole. you don't have to run very hot to weld steel. thats news to me that aluminum melts at a lower temperature while welding. i weld aluminum and steel everyday and i have to run usually at least 30 amps more on aluminum. plus you can't melt the heads because you are running dc instead of ac. you can try to weld aluminum with dc and it will just leave a black spot and do nothing. there is no way you would be able to get it hot enough to do anything to that head. but it doesn't matter anyway because the bolt is inside the head to far.