Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default exhaust question

I have dynatech split flows directly off of my headers. It sounds awsome out side and good inside but just a little to loud. I was thinking about buying a set of the dynatech turndowns with the inserts in them, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with them. I included pics of the mufflers I have and the turndown with insert i am thinking about trying. I have the oval mufflers BTW
Attached Thumbnails exhaust question-dtc-m80-00100_w.jpg   exhaust question-splitflow_meas.jpg  
Old 10-16-2006, 08:54 PM
MASS seller approved

I would NOT put those turndowns on. Those will kill any sort of exhaust flow that you had going. I would extend your exhaust to the axle and dump it there with a normal turn down.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How It Works: The Vortex Insert Cone, installed near the exit of the header collector or muffler outlet, provides a large friction area to reflect and dissipate sound energy, thus reducing the dB level. The open area of the cone is actually greater than the area of the collector or exhaust pipe, thus reducing a backpressure condition. Because no significant backpressure has been introduced, the engine is still able to use the scavenge ability of a good header to creat horsepower and torque. Dyno and track testing show significant noise reduction with little or no power loss.

Thats a quote off of dynatechs website.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Could be as bad as this could it?
Attached Thumbnails exhaust question-cci-3d102r.jpg  
Old 10-17-2006, 12:41 AM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by rocketman442
Could be as bad as this could it?
I believe thats a car chemisty insert, and they made many of the same claims that dynatech has.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That is a car chemistry insert. I could find anything at all about the car chemistry but I found where a few people dynoed the vortex insert before and after, nobody lost more than 5 hp that i could find and they all state that exhaust noise was noticably decreased. I found a couple cobra sites that said they was using both of those together as their only mufflers. I may try the cone, still not sure kinda hoping someone from this sit had actually used them before.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if youre worried about it being too loud youre stuck with either spending more money to run it out the back or losing power by adding more restrictive quieter mufflers.. If youre going to dump the exhaust before the axle have the tips welded at a 45* angle.. I hope your existing pipes are running at least 2 feet back from the headers or your asking for problems with the 02s. You should check out the chambered powersticks. I have yet to hear a somewhat quiet dual setup with only 2 mufflers dumping before the axle.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine dont go any farther than the muffler, I don't even have a turndown as of yet, i just want it just a tad quieter in the car without adding a bunch of weight.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ordered a set and put the on temporary today just to see if I was gonna have to return them or not. Outside of the car there is very little difference in sound but inside while driving it took the sharpness out of the note and quited it down noticably. No noticable loss of power according to the ***-o-meter either. Pretty happy overall.