Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no spark and cel blinks...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no spark and cel blinks...

Ok so I am hoping I picked the right forum to post this in.

Anyways, so I go to start a 98 trans am and everything seems ok at first since it cranks over fine but then as luck would have it, does not start.

Upon checking the basics I find that I have no spark, which I checked by pulling off one of the spark plug wires and looking for it to arc.

It does seem to be getting fuel though, I checked the shrader valve and fuel came out when I pushed it... also I can hear the pump priming.

Checked the ignition relay and it was ok... even swaped it for one I know was good and still nothing.

I noticed while cranking, the cel (check engine light) would blink intermitently for just a split second every 3-4 times it would crank over. I did not have a code scanner with me to pull the code if there was one stored.

Since the car is now immobile I am looking for suggestions.

Anyone have ANY thoughts, please... PLEASE share them???!???

edit: thought I would add also that I have been told that these cars like to fry the pcm, is that a possiblilty?

Last edited by dalez28; 10-17-2006 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:24 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Fry PCM? I don't think so. Is your security light blinking? Might be the ohm resistor in your key. If you have the other set try the other ignition key.

Peace,
Craig.

P.S. Just thought about it, 98 car huh? Changed your fuel filter lately? If not, is your car an A4 or M6. If M6 make sure your safety switches on your clutch pedal work. There are 2, one for safety (start) and the other for cruise control.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:32 AM
12 Second Club

you need to get it hooked up to a scanner. nut if you have no spark, and the coils, and wires are pluged in, you might have a bad crank sensor or cam sensor
Old 10-18-2006, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Ok, I will do try doing some more work on it tonight.

I do have a spare set of keys I can try. The security light does stay on when trying to start... I think it was flashing too (sorry dont remember for sure though) but I know for sure it was lit up.

This is a 98 m6 car and the fuel filter has been changed recently. I am going to test for pressure tonight since I have been told that even thought I can hear the pump and it appears to be making pressure (opening the shrader valve), it may not be enough. Although I am kinda skeptical since it does not even sputter when starting.

Also, would the car even turn over if it was the clutch switch... I was under the impression that it would not. However I will double check them.

Thanks ALOT for the help to far... will update tonight.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:34 PM
Teching In

ok, tryed the second set of keys for the car and the security light went out completely and did not flash or anything... so I think the chip in the key is good.

I did notice that the abs inop light and the check gauges light would flash on and off as you try to start the car.

I am going to check the fuel pressure and codes in the pcm with my scanner now.

Will update.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:21 PM
Teching In

no codes stored in the computer and the fuel pressure was 58 psi on the mark.

switched to another 98 pcm I had and still nothing.

checking over the wiring I found that someone had cut the red wire from the blue harness to the pcm down a ways in the harness all the way over on the driver side (loomed up were I did not see it easily) and upon tracing it further I found it rewired to the alternator.

so disconnected it just to see what would happen, since I could start it from battery power anyways and BANG... started instantly.

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO TOOK A MOMENT TO HELP OUT, you guys got the wheels turning in the right direction... helping me elimate the other possibilities and working toward this solution.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:49 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by dalez28
no codes stored in the computer and the fuel pressure was 58 psi on the mark.

switched to another 98 pcm I had and still nothing.

checking over the wiring I found that someone had cut the red wire from the blue harness to the pcm down a ways in the harness all the way over on the driver side (loomed up were I did not see it easily) and upon tracing it further I found it rewired to the alternator.

so disconnected it just to see what would happen, since I could start it from battery power anyways and BANG... started instantly.

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO TOOK A MOMENT TO HELP OUT, you guys got the wheels turning in the right direction... helping me elimate the other possibilities and working toward this solution.
Glad to hear you found the problem! And thanks for posting what the problem was, you're helping somebody else down the road who might have the same problem and use the search feature and see this thread.

Peace,
Craig.