Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need QUICK help! Where to wire cut out??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 09:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need QUICK help! Where to wire cut out?? *PICS*

I've got a '98 Camaro and I'm trying to wire the cut out. I don't know where to splice it into though. On the instructions it says there is a pink wire for the traction control but I don't see a pink wire anywhere?! I know the cig lighter is on all the time and the light in the ash tray only comes on when the head lights are on... Please help. Thanks, Steve.

Last edited by SPECIALIZED STAINLESS; 10-20-2006 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:43 PM
FormerVendor

Anyone?? I have it hooked up to the light in the ash tray. I have to have the lights on for it to work
Old 10-19-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I used the wire off the cig lighter. both the power and the ground. i figured if i need the lighter i can use the other one on the left, it's still connected.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I extended the red wire and connected it to the radio fuse for power, black wire off the cig lighter for ground. Supposed to use a "switched" source for power. Pink wire from traction control behind where the switch is/goes is switched too - should be there, even if the car doesn't have ASR/TCS?
Old 10-19-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea, the cig lighter isn't switched, but it won't draw current if the switch isn't pressed. Plus is was convienent and i'm lazy.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toofazt
I've got a '98 Camaro and I'm trying to wire the cut out. I don't know where to splice it into though. On the instructions it says there is a pink wire for the traction control but I don't see a pink wire anywhere?! I know the cig lighter is on all the time and the light in the ash tray only comes on when the head lights are on... Please help. Thanks, Steve.
On a 98, you will not have a pink wire coming out of your ASR button. There's two wires you can tap, a solid brown one and a striped brown/white one. Some people have problems with the striped brown/white wire so use the solid brown wire.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:17 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Shallow Bay
On a 98, you will not have a pink wire coming out of your ASR button. There's two wires you can tap, a solid brown one and a striped brown/white one. Some people have problems with the striped brown/white wire so use the solid brown wire.
So just cut the brown wire and run the red wire from the cutout and both sides of the cut brown wire together w/ a wire nut? And I can't really tell if the wires are going to the ASR button but they are hanging down by the middle top of the console; are these the ones? Thanks for the help
Old 10-20-2006, 03:09 PM
FormerVendor

bump.....
Old 10-20-2006, 05:20 PM
FormerVendor

Here are some pics of the wires under the dash and how I have it wired up now. I don't know which one to splice into...

Old 10-20-2006, 06:41 PM
FormerVendor

Pleeeese.... I think it's the brown wire in the third pic?
Old 10-20-2006, 07:48 PM
FormerVendor

I know someones wired up a '98 before....
Old 10-20-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

Do you have a test light? Simple yet effective way to find a 12v power source.

I could be wrong but those wires don't look like they're going to the ASR switch...pictures can be deceiving though and Im not too familiar with Camaros.

Last edited by ~RedLineLs1~; 10-20-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM sent.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why don't you just route a power wire w/ an inline fuse through the firewall (there's a rubber plug behind the PCM you can go through). This is what I did and it's not that difficult. I routed it to the positive terminal of the battery so I obviously have power all the time. I originally was using the cig lighter which worked fine until I started blowing fuses. Turns out I had a short on one of the wires of the cutout switch.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:36 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Shallow Bay
Sorry for not responding to your first PM but I've been real busy lately. The little black box with the two connectors in the third picture is the DRL module. I don't believe that brown wire is the same one that runs up to the ASR switch. To wire it up to the ASR switch, click on the link below, scroll half way down and they explain exactly how to do it.
http://www.installuniversity.com/in...ght_install.htm
Now if you read step 19 in that write-up, it says "He told me that GM makes wires that are orange have 12 volts all the time whether the car is on or not. The pink wires are 12 v accessory wires, or wires that have power just when the key is in the on position." With the exception of the ASR switch, the above leads me to believe that the pink wire coming out of the C2 connector will work. The C2 connector is the smaller blue one that is located on the right in the third picture you posted. I'm not 100% sure it will work because I have never heard of anyone using it before. If you don't want to do that, just run the wire from the cut-out up to the brown wire on the ASR. Many people have used that method for multiple things and it will work. I hope everything works out for you and let me know how it goes.
That's what I did in case anyone else is wondering. Thanks Shallow Bay!
Old 10-22-2006, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

I just mounted the switch in the ashtray where the light use to be "with some cutting" and used the ashtray light. I don't mind turning my running lights on to open or close cutout.