Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumpstop mod

Old 10-19-2006, 08:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bumpstop mod

Last night I gave this mod a try. I hooked up my voltmeter to the blue wire on the throttle position sensor, turned the key switch to the on position. At the idle position it's .054 volts. WOT the voltage is 4.38. I'm grinding the back of the stop trying to get voltage to 4.68, Which is real close to 90 degrees. For some reason I can't get the voltage above 4.39. Anyone know why. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your pedal bottoming out on the carpet/floormat?
Old 10-19-2006, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

I finally got the voltage up. Had to use a different tool on my die grinder.I just went out and checked for that, and my pedal is not under the floormat. I can get the voltage to 4.68 when I manually open the throttle, when inside pressing it down it only goes to 4.52. It's like the cable is not pulling in completely on the stop. The car is a 00 Z28 with traction and cruise control. There is a small black box that is mounted behind the battery. I removed the cover looking for a place to adjust the cable. Only thing behind the cover is two wheels that operate with the throttle cable. I did not see anywhere to give me more travel of the cable. Any ideas?
Old 10-19-2006, 11:50 AM
Restricted User

just add a couple zip ties on the cable that comes through the pedal bracket. Place the zip ties right after the bracket and before the plastic retainer at the end of the cable. It will make the cable shorter and will allow you to get WOT without getting close to the carpet. i have done this on a couple cars before, you could also try and take some of the backing off the carpet to make it thinner but i would say just use the zip ties.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Smokin87TA
just add a couple zip ties on the cable that comes through the pedal bracket. Place the zip ties right after the bracket and before the plastic retainer at the end of the cable. It will make the cable shorter and will allow you to get WOT without getting close to the carpet. i have done this on a couple cars before, you could also try and take some of the backing off the carpet to make it thinner but i would say just use the zip ties.
Or you could take out the slack in the cable like GM intended. Its very easy to do. There are 3 sections of cable on your car, 2 of them have adjusters, boxed area in the cable. Take the clip off the box, slide the peices closer together, reattach and check out your throttle again. There is probably a step by step instruction with pic if you search for throttle slack or something like that
Old 10-19-2006, 02:09 PM
Restricted User

That might be the throttle cable for cars with traction control because they use 2 diffenert cables from gm, but both of the cables on my cars(non traction control) do not have an adjustment like that. I know what you are talking about tho becasue i have seen them on other cars before.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:11 PM
Restricted User

Either way will work just the same.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

What is the advantage to this mod?
Old 10-19-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Smokin87TA
That might be the throttle cable for cars with traction control because they use 2 diffenert cables from gm, but both of the cables on my cars(non traction control) do not have an adjustment like that. I know what you are talking about tho becasue i have seen them on other cars before.

Thats great, but he said in his post that he has traction and cruise.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedyss
What is the advantage to this mod?
Full Throttle
Old 10-19-2006, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks everyone for all the replies.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fatjet00
I finally got the voltage up. Had to use a different tool on my die grinder.I just went out and checked for that, and my pedal is not under the floormat. I can get the voltage to 4.68 when I manually open the throttle, when inside pressing it down it only goes to 4.52. It's like the cable is not pulling in completely on the stop. The car is a 00 Z28 with traction and cruise control. There is a small black box that is mounted behind the battery. I removed the cover looking for a place to adjust the cable. Only thing behind the cover is two wheels that operate with the throttle cable. I did not see anywhere to give me more travel of the cable. Any ideas?
That little black box is the traction control box. If you see the clips on the cables they come apart and have a screw to adjust them. Good luck
Old 10-20-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the little black box controls your cruise control and your throttle control...are you saying that the throttle plate doesnt close all the way?
Old 10-20-2006, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

No the throttle closes just fine. The problem I'm having is I can't get the throttle all the way up against the stop on throttle body. I adjusted it with the little black things on the cable itself going to the throttle body and either I have it too tight, and when you let off the gas pedal it doesn't return to the fully closed position. It appears my cable going to tb is a tad too short. I noticed there are two of the adjusters, maybe I ajusted the wrong one.

Search this Thread