Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WS6 and aftermarket Ram Air question, is this true?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 10:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WS6 and aftermarket Ram Air question, is this true?

I have a WS6 and I've been thinking about getting some aftermarket ram air like SSRA or FTRA or SLP's or something, but I read something the other day that I would like to ask you guys about. I think it was on the LS1.com forums, but I'm not sure. Anyway, one of the stickys said not to get an aftermarket ram air with your WS6 or the air coming in both sides of the air box would create too much turbulence and actually make performance worse. Is that true? Should I not bother wih one?

Also, is there anywhere to get the BGRA anymore? And how does it handle rain if you can?

Thanks
Old 10-19-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Resident

Well i have never heard of that before...i have a volant CAI setup and im gonna get the ws9 hood so ill let u know if it gets worse when i get the hood.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:10 PM
12 Second Club

Does the volant work the same as the others and come up from underneath the stock aitr box though? That's what they were saying causes the problem, air from the bottom and front going in and causing turbulence.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

No, it covers the bottom unefficient way and feeds off the ram air hood right in front of it.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was you I would just get a lid, debaffle your hood & seal the hood to the opening in the airbox. I wouldn't waste the money on the SSRA or anything unless you got a Camaro.

I debaffled my hood all I gotta do it seal it to the front of the box. NEVER had a issues with water either & I drive my car everyday year round. Rain, sleet, snow I still drive it.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

So does the Volant seal up to the hood for the ws6, or does it have a gap around the edges? It looks like in the pic where the hood is closing that it doesn't seal to the hood. If it did that I would definitely think it would be the best if you debaffled the hood, but then I would worry about water becaus of it being a straight shot to the filter. I don't see how it couldn't be a problem if you're driving fast in rain and it's a straight shot to the intake filter like that. Other than that it seems like that setup would be awesome if it sealed.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:19 AM
12 Second Club

Well if you run the Volant I wouldn't de-baffle the hood.

I only used a SLP lid, de-baffled the hood & plan on sealing the hood to the front of the box soon. I have had it like this for well over a year now & never had a problem. I'm just lazy in getting to sealing the hood to the box.

With the stock air box & de-baffled hood your filter might get damp, but its kinda hard for the water to suck straight up 90* off a flat surface & through your filter. So I never worry about water being a issue.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:30 AM
12 Second Club

Do you think it will get worse though once it's sealed? I would try to seal mine as soon as I did it, so if it's worse when it's sealed then thats what I would have to deal with.

I was just looking at the volant intake on ws6store.com I think and they claim 18hp and 40ft/lb gains from it. Pretty good O_O lol
Old 10-20-2006, 10:47 AM
12 Second Club

When I seam mine I plan on drilling a couple 3/8" holes to allow water to drain out. That should eliminate any puddling or water issues that could possibly occur.

I just didn't see the point in spending a bunch on it since there are plenty of fast cars still retaining their stock box/hood configuration with just a lid added.

But thats just my $.02
Old 10-20-2006, 11:08 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah, I agree, I'm just trying to get as much out of it with just bolt-ons as I can before I get a cam someday. That will be quite a ways down the road I think and I would like to get as much power as I can befroe then, so any gain would be good, and since I have the WS6, it seems like the only one that would possibly see a real gain from debaffling and going with the volant, but I don't know. And like I said, water is a concern, I try not to drive in the rain, but it happens, and keeping my car around is much higher on the priority list than power is.

But anyway, if I got the volant I could sell my lid which is still in perforct shape to reduce the cost a little. So really, I just want to know, with the WS6, do you think there would be any kind of real gains(without serious risk) by going debaffled and volant?
Old 10-20-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

The Volant seals to the hood just fine, those pics are old. I had to get more weather stripping for the back of the BGRA because when I had the airbox set up the weather stripping fried/cut off from the latches on the airbox.
I daily drive my car and Ive been through rain, I havent had a problem in 2 months. I have the Volant CAI, debaffled hood, and BGRA.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:54 AM
12 Second Club

Ok. Thats good about the rain. How fast are you usually driving through it? I'm usually going like 60-65 out here cause I live about 10 miles out of town on a highway, so I do a lot of cruising at that speed.

And do you think it's worth it? I could sell my lid to reduce the cost a little, but its still a bit pricey. Since you have one, what do you think? Did you really get any gains from the stock box?

Oh, and where did you get that BGRA? Have you had it since back when he made them or did you get it more recently?

Thanks
Old 10-20-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I usually travel 50-60 mph on the main roads. I think it's worth it if you want every hp out an intake.
I didnt dyno before/after or anything but the SOTP was noticable right away to me.
I purchased the BGRA when it was still in production. like I said you'd have to fabricate your own BGRA.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:42 PM
12 Second Club

Hmmm... Have any ideas how I could do that?