Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this look normal? *pic*

Old 10-22-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this look normal? *pic*

My friend is interested in buying this car:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...g=1&cardist=23

Now when we looked at it today, we obviously couldn't open the hood or start it let alone drive it since noone was around. I did see that it had Mickey Thompson drag radials on it, it had stock exhaust tips, but after market exhaust, it had Long tubes with offroad Y pipe, and it was lowered in the front. So my guess is that this car is probably pretty fast and might have lived a pretty hard live. It's a 01 with 52000 miles on it. The rear end was shiny and black, not the usual rusty mess, so that's been modded too from what I can tell.

Anyhow...here's a motor pic:

That breather tube, shouldn't that be connected to the air lid? Or is there some sort of reason for it not be hooked up?

Oh...my friend is a 20 year old girl....she loves my car, she wants one like it. She currently has a 95 V6 camaro....yeah...I am kinda scared for her to drive that car. I also don't want her having to spend a bunch of money on repairs. Besides the obvious what should I be looking for that might foreshadow trouble down the road?

Thanks for any help!

Manny

Last edited by MannyZ28; 10-22-2006 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MannyZ28
That breather tube, shouldn't that be connected to the air lid? Or is there some sort of reason for it not be hooked up?
That is part of the AIR system. MTI lids don't have a hole to hook up the AIR to, so you have to buy a K&N breather there so the system isn't sucking up non-filtered air.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ah cool....looks like the previous owner already did that. Was wondering why that breather and the hose were zip tied out of the way in that picture.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

That engine looks clean
Old 10-22-2006, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

its priced pretty damn good too
Old 10-22-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah...she really wants that car. But as mentioned before, I am concerened about her driving it and it being a bit too much car. She's used to her little V6. And damn she's cute too....
Old 10-22-2006, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah...she really wants that car. But as mentioned before, I am concerened about her driving it and it being a bit too much car. She's used to her little V6. And damn she's cute too....
Why are you so concerned about her driving it?? Stats show that women are more safe then men on the road.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by brad8266
Why are you so concerned about her driving it?? Stats show that women are more safe then men on the road.
Women get into more accidents, men get into worse accidents... that's because females suck *** at driving thanks to a total lack of coordination.

We're either drunk or trying to do something awesome, which tends to be tragic when it fails.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brad8266
One of her favorite sayings is that "I am the best driver I know"....that says a lot...lol. She picked me up today to go look at that car....uhm...85 in a 55 weaving in and out of traffic...and a fascination with making the tires spin (well, she tries, but the V6 can't handle it espcially since she has Z06 wheels with 275's on it), and the urge to race anything that looks remotely fast....all that kinda scares me.

Since someone is gonna pick up on the comment I made that she's cute....and is gonna ask for a pic....

Old 10-22-2006, 11:50 PM
Launching!

Aside from the fact the dealer has his head up his butt: no cassette/listed, leather seats/listed as cloth, power driver's seat/listed as manual. The car looks okay. Do not let your friend spend more than $9, 200 on it. I'm sorry guys, but right now these cars are pretty cheap. The headlites are yellowed and the interior looks a little rough. How's the paint, shocks, tranny shift okay? Will the dealer let you take it to a mechanic 1st? All things to consider.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:51 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver02TA
Women get into more accidents, men get into worse accidents... that's because females suck *** at driving thanks to a total lack of coordination.

We're either drunk or trying to do something awesome, which tends to be tragic when it fails.
Well, drinking usually leads to the awesome failure!
Old 10-22-2006, 11:52 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Are those real headlights?
Old 10-22-2006, 11:54 PM
Launching!

One of her favorite sayings is that "I am the best driver I know"....that says a lot...lol. She picked me up today to go look at that car....uhm...85 in a 55 weaving in and out of traffic...and a fascination with making the tires spin (well, she tries, but the V6 can't handle it espcially since she has Z06 wheels with 275's on it), and the urge to race anything that looks remotely fast....all that kinda scares me.

Since someone is gonna pick up on the comment I made that she's cute....and is gonna ask for a pic....

You're right - she is cute. If she gets this car, make sure she swaps the wheels. Also, don't let the dealer know she's trading (if she is). Negotiate the price of the car 1st. Get the rock, bottom dollar and then tell them you've got a trade. Make 'em stick to it. Good luck.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Are those real headlights?
If you can touch them and feel them....they are real.....but to answer your question, they became a reality earlier in the year.

The paint is pretty good from what I have seen. Not sure about any of the mechanicals yet since we just looked at the car and couldn't run it since noone was there on a sunday.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh...she's gonna take the wheels for sure, she just got them 2 months ago. I might just go down there by myself and negotiate a deal as if I was the one buying it, just to see what I can squeeze them down to.

That reminds me....there are no emissions in florida, however, when you do trade a car in, they require you to sign a piece of paper stating that all emissions equipment is on the car. Being that this car is catless, and probably has the AIR removed as well, I wonder if that can be used as leverage to get the price lower as well?
Old 10-23-2006, 12:08 AM
Launching!

never hurts to try. Good luck Man and keep us posted.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:37 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

She sounds like a dangerous driver. Maybe she dont need the extra power. Also that deal sounds too good to be true. It may have something wrong with it and they are desperate to get rid of it.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:15 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Any car sitting on drag radials, with a rake stance, sitting on a car lot is bad news man.....I would never let a woman drive an unreliable car. Think about that.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Any car sitting on drag radials, with a rake stance, sitting on a car lot is bad news man.....I would never let a woman drive an unreliable car. Think about that.

I know..that's what I am very concerned about. That's why I really want to look it over and drive that badboy. It is a pretty damn low price for an 01!

I am guessing they lowered the front and probably did something to the rear for better traction?

I didn't pay attention to whether it LCA's or SFC's, but it did have a stock torque arm.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just priced that thing out on KBB....retail value assuming Excellent condition (which it isn't), is 15000!

Getting out the fine tooth comb....lol!

Search this Thread