Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your Typical Install...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your Typical Install...

I plan on getting LT headers and an ORY and was wondering how much a typical install would cost? I have no friends or ties to any chops so I'm going to be paying the street price. what might this be? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

500ish
Old 10-23-2006, 10:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Just take the time to search and read the stickies. Do the install your self and save the money. I was thinking like you at one point now after searching and reading the stickies I'm ready to do the install.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Regular

The install of LT's can be tough and will **** you off here and there. Depending on where you live and how hard you try to find a cheaper person it could cost you up to 600. I found a guy that will install mine for 250-300 though so just look around.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by StillUnnamed
I plan on getting LT headers and an ORY and was wondering how much a typical install would cost? I have no friends....
Whoa. Sorry to hear that. You've got friends here though. Where you from? I'm sure there is an LS1tech member near you that would be able to help you out, a lot cheaper than a shop or maybe even for a 12 pack. Post up your location or maybe try one of the regional forums.

Option B is stated, read the stickies. Read up on all the install threads you can dig up. That's what I did. Months ahead of the install I was reading everyones else to get all the info I could.

Otherwise it is rather pricey for a shop to do it. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

you can do it yourself as long as you have the tools..it really isnt that hard its just time consuming your first time. The best part is not only having them installed and the new power, but knowing you just did it is a GREAT fealing.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:30 AM
TECH Veteran

and the great feeling of not breaking a header bolt.

where are you located?
Old 10-24-2006, 12:37 AM
12 Second Club

unless you are filthy rich, you honestly could do it yourself. you need a jack and a couple jackstands, and basic tools. if you could find one other person to help you, save yourself the money and gain some experience. then wash your dirty cut up hands
Old 10-24-2006, 03:11 AM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

350-500 dollars, and more than that is a rip-off.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:27 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't need friends to do it. Just a jack, set of nads, 6X6 block of wood and a decent set of hand tools.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:15 AM
On The Tree

I was quoted 450-550. I just didn't have the time. I was NOT going to pay that kind of bank for a simple install. So I waited until I was on vacation. I am so glad I did the install myself. It was SO EASY. All you need is a set of good hand tools (plenty of extensions and swivels will SAVE the day) Floor jack, Jack stands, cinder blocks or 4X4s, you can rent a tailpipe spreader (for connecting the Y to the I pipe). Just remember the rear header bolts and plugs on the pass. side are accessable from under the car, don't wast time TRYING from topside, IT CAN'T BE DONE. Make sure you have everything you need BEFORE you get started. Tool and part runs will KILL your time. If you get stuck or have a problem, thats what we are here for. Don't pay for something you can do yourself.

Jason
Old 10-24-2006, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

I Live just outside of DC in Maryland. When it comes to working on cars I am totally illiterate. Being that I go to school and work til around 11 daily, my installing them is not a viable option. So i'll go with my original notion and look around for a place that knows what they're doing without charging me the arm I need to shift and the leg I need to floor it. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Most of this stuff is just bolts. You dont have to be car literate. I mean, my wife did the passanger side, I did the drivers side, on a HEADS/CAM swap. If she can do that, you can put in your headers. I was pretty scared to do it the first time, but now I have put in several sets on many different kinds of cars. I know you said you dont have the time BUT, saving the money would be worth it. I mean 500 is quite a bit. Sounds like you work hard and allot, take 2 nights off work and pay yourself with the 500 you save. HEHE You can do it.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your blessed enough to not have it as a daily driver and a nice garage to leave it in do it yourself. Its just bolts and annoyances. My car sat for a couple weeks when I did my suspension. Headers are coming next. Im still undecided on whether I would like to do the Cam
Old 10-24-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know shops quoted atleast 300 bucks. you can do it yourself. im still kinda iffy on it.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I Live just outside of DC in Maryland.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-members/546700-maryland.html

Here are some fellow Maryland-ites. I would maybe PM some of these guys and see if they know of any RELIABLE shops that they trust their cars with, if you can't find any help or are not sure about attempting this by yourself.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I Live just outside of DC in Maryland. When it comes to working on cars I am totally illiterate. Being that I go to school and work til around 11 daily, my installing them is not a viable option. So i'll go with my original notion and look around for a place that knows what they're doing without charging me the arm I need to shift and the leg I need to floor it. Thanks.
Sent PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your not willing to try your self, I would deffinently find your local f-body club. Every club has "that" guy who does alot of work. When I was in San Diego, I found the club mech. and he did it for 150 bucks.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Shoot if you lived in Houston, I would help you. Like said above, you need to find someone close to you. Look at the regional forums and post a "need help" thread. I know that there will be somebody that will help. There are a lot of really good people out there that are members here. You will also get to know some local guys around you.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:06 PM
12 Second Club

u obviously dont do much reasearch! Go to F-bodyhideout.com, im a member thier under the screen name gyrene2004. i just moved from the norther va dc area and let me tell u, thier are boat loads of f-body guys in the dc area!!! Hit up that site as a start, cause thats where they are located!!!