Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bullet/resonator in the I-Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bullet/resonator in the I-Pipe?

I have a question:

My current setup is Pacesetter race LT's, TSP ORY, Borla.

This setup is a bit loud for me. Plus...its really raspy under rapid acceleration.

Would I lose any power by putting in a bullet on my I-Pipe? Also, would it help with the raspyness?

If the power loss is insignificant, what would be a good bullet to put in there? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-26-2006, 12:28 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There will be virtually no power loss putting a straight through bullet in the I-Pipe.

Options:

Dynomax bullet: will clear up about 1/2 to 3/4 the rasp, make it slightly deeper, not much change in noise level

Borla XR-1 bullet: clear up 3/4 to all the rasp, make it quite a bit deeper, slight reduction in noise level. It's a 5" Diameter muffler and is a tight fit in the I-Pipe but it can be done...some banging of the rear seat floor pan MAY be required.

Classic Chambered: clear up 3/4 to all the rasp, make it alot deeper, about the same noise reduction as Borla.

Those would be my top 3 choices. Dynomax is cheapest, than the Classic Chambered, and then the Borla is most expensive. I'd recommend the Borla or Classic Chambered personally.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ya adding a bullet won't hurt performance, but the exhaust note will be noticeably deeper from what people have said after adding bullet mufflers in the I-pipe. The borla is too expensive imo, try to get something cheaper.

Here is the Dynomax Bullet.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the very helpful replies guys!

What is this "classic chambered" bullet? Is there a site where I can locate this?
Old 10-26-2006, 10:22 AM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by JKDZ28
Thanks for the very helpful replies guys!

What is this "classic chambered" bullet? Is there a site where I can locate this?
Pricing: http://www.eadperformance.com/catalo...cPath=42_75_76

Pics/videos/dyno: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/583963-exclusive-classic-chambered-powerpacks-not-powersticks-pics-videos-dyno-inside.html
Old 10-26-2006, 10:23 AM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by Rob98LS1
The borla is too expensive imo, try to get something cheaper.
The Borla is more expensive, but you definately get what you pay for. Easily one of the best sounding 'bullet' style mufflers.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

I used a 4" O.D. Magnaflow bullet on mine w/o any problems and it took care of almost all the rasp from my ORY and LT setup.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:55 PM
12 Second Club

We installed a dynomax 12" bullet in my dad's Borla I-pipe. Same set up, LT's and ORY. It made the car sound deeper and much better.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tim @ EAD Performance
There will be virtually no power loss putting a straight through bullet in the I-Pipe.

Options:

Dynomax bullet: will clear up about 1/2 to 3/4 the rasp, make it slightly deeper, not much change in noise level

Borla XR-1 bullet: clear up 3/4 to all the rasp, make it quite a bit deeper, slight reduction in noise level. It's a 5" Diameter muffler and is a tight fit in the I-Pipe but it can be done...some banging of the rear seat floor pan MAY be required.

Classic Chambered: clear up 3/4 to all the rasp, make it alot deeper, about the same noise reduction as Borla.

Those would be my top 3 choices. Dynomax is cheapest, than the Classic Chambered, and then the Borla is most expensive. I'd recommend the Borla or Classic Chambered personally.
how much power do you think it would cost to put a classic chambered in the i pipe on 420rwhp cam only car?
Old 10-26-2006, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Options:

Which classic chambered do you use in the I pipe? I have Kooks headers with the GMMG and still get some rasp and would like to get rid of most if possible. Can you install the classic chambered?
Old 10-27-2006, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Judge Smales
Which classic chambered do you use in the I pipe? I have Kooks headers with the GMMG and still get some rasp and would like to get rid of most if possible. Can you install the classic chambered?
ttt
Old 10-27-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

i wouldn't put a chambered bullet in the I-Pipe if i were you. I had a sweet thunder with a Hooker catback on LTs/ORY and it was seriously quiet.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:09 AM
dug
Banned

magnaflow makes a 5" round bullet. should be quieter than the 4" bullet and cheaper than the borla
Old 10-27-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all the help!

Which would you recommend with the classic chamber. Short, Medium, or Long?

Thanks guys
Old 10-28-2006, 01:26 AM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by Judge Smales
If you want to quiet your exhaust down some, use the PowerPack, 3" x 16" or if you do not want to quiet it down, get a 3" x 16" Powerstick.

We can install the muffler, but we are currently moving shops. It would be two weeks or so before we could do it.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:27 AM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by JKDZ28
Thanks for all the help!

Which would you recommend with the classic chamber. Short, Medium, or Long?

Thanks guys
The longer versions will quiet it down more and will have a bit more effect on the tone of the exhaust. For most people, I would recommend running the longest version that they can, unless they want to be as loud as possible, then the 16".
Old 10-28-2006, 01:28 AM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by Silver02TA
i wouldn't put a chambered bullet in the I-Pipe if i were you. I had a sweet thunder with a Hooker catback on LTs/ORY and it was seriously quiet.
The Hooker catback is known as being one of the quieter catbacks around.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:16 AM

I just put 2 bullets in my exhaust and zero rasp and its deep now. Im lovin' it
Old 10-28-2006, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

If you want to quiet your exhaust down some, use the PowerPack, 3" x 16" or if you do not want to quiet it down, get a 3" x 16" Powerstick.

We can install the muffler, but we are currently moving shops. It would be two weeks or so before we could do it.
Thanks Tim, I really don't want to make it any quiter just get rid of the rasp. Let me know when you get set up in your new shop. If the weather isn't that bad then I would like to get one installed.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, thanks Tim. I will definatly be ordering one from YOU in the near future. Thanks for all the help guys.