Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ported my TB this morning, weird issue.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ported my TB this morning, weird issue.

I ordered a new gasket (should be in @ advance tomorrow) to try to eliminate the gasket problem, but when I turn my car on, it idles at like 3k RPM. I unplug the idle control motor and then its fine. I checked the TPS voltage (.55v at idle, 4.61 at WOT) and it seemed to be pretty good (Ill be doing bumpstop, I just want to fix this ****).

I plugged all the hoses back in, the old gasket/oringwhatever you call it is fine.. but I ordered a new one anyways.. the TPS is good.. I dont think the MAF is bad.. Why would the idle motor be acting up after a ptb install? I reset the battery multiple times.. Any input here guys?
Old 10-28-2006, 11:26 PM
11 Second Club

maybe its the idle sensor
Old 10-29-2006, 12:28 AM
Restricted User

The IAC sensor might be bad. I had one go bad on my old motor and it would do the same thing. try pulling it out and plug in it and see if you can see the the piston moving in and out or moving at all.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:40 AM
12 Second Club

you might have ported where the butterfly meets the housing and its sucking in more air. thats the first thing i would check for. hold it up to some light and see if you see a ring of light around the butterfly in the throttlebody.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had similar issues from a IAC sensor, but you might want to check the screw on the side of the throttle body that adjusts how far open or closed the throttle blade is.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FBodyPerformer
you might have ported where the butterfly meets the housing and its sucking in more air. thats the first thing i would check for. hold it up to some light and see if you see a ring of light around the butterfly in the throttlebody.
What I was thinking too.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

I purchased a ported tb off 01, my car is 99 didnt know the throttle linkage was different size, so i put it on and it did the same thing, turns out my throttle cable was too short for the linkage, it was holding throttle slightly open and I had to swap my stock linkage with 01 linkage and then it worked, sounds like your is sucking in extra air.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Resident

My car isnt sucking in any extra air, I tested the throttle body seal (put water on the blade and ran it around and it didnt leak through) and then did it on the other side.. I think my idle air piston is fubard'd though.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

My idle control motor is unplugged. I didnt install the gasket yet. Can I go like this until the car goes down for the winter (hopefully no longer than next week, the daily beater should be up and going good then).
Old 10-31-2006, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

Can I get a little more insight into this problem please? lol
Old 10-31-2006, 09:22 AM
12 Second Club

Mine idled around 2k rpm for about 1 hour, then it went back to ~900 rpm. Just start the car couple times, shut it down. Let it relearn itself. If that doesn't fix it, then something else is wrong.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was very careful to fully clean my TB after I ported it and I taped off all the holes and tubes before I started. I sprayed it with cleaner afterwards and blew it off real good before I put it back on. I didn't change any gaskets, they all looked good.

I was careful to remember to unhook the battery for at least ten minutes before I started it up the first time to reset the computer.

It didn't want to idle normally for a while afterwards. It took several startups and a few miles before I settled in properly.

It didn't really feel right anyway, and after some checking I found a small rip and vacuum leak in the bellows between the MAF and the TB. Some black flexible goo fixed that real good.