Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with electric cutout switch wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 10:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help with electric cutout switch wiring

I have a DMH cutout and I don't want to use the switch provided. I have the jimmy jams switch panel for my nitrous setup and I want the button to be in there so I can close the ash tray lid.

The cutout has four wires coming from the plug where I disconnected the old toggle button. White (power), Black (ground), Red and Green which I guess are "open" and "close". So I found a on/off/on switch that was smaller but it has 6 terminals. I tried a lot of configurations but I can only get the switch to operate when red and green are on the 2 terminals under the "off" area, and the white and black are on the same side. And it only either closes or opens, I can switch the red and green wires to make the other way work. I tried putting a hot wire and ground on the other side but then I can hear it click but it doesn't open or close. So puzzled I tried using 2 on/off switches on the jimmy jams panel.

I tried red, white and black on one on/off switch and green, another hot and ground on the other on/off switch but nothing happens, although the buttons do light up in the on position.

I'm clueless now, anyone have any other ideas?
Old 10-29-2006, 10:09 AM
11 Second Club

the cut out switch is a lil different than a normal on-off switch. if you try to wire it for on/off, the motor will keep turning on the cut out or not work at all. i put my switch in the TCS panel on my t/a. you could probably use one switch as a kill switch and the other one to open/close it. but i think it would be easier staying with the provided switch. OR, look for a 3 way switch-- up is on, down is off and middle is neutral (just thought of that one) might work for ya!
Old 10-29-2006, 10:16 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah I had bought another on/off/on switch but it has 6 terminals. I guess I might just keep looking for another switch.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

look for a DPDT momentary switch