Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem after Knock sensor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 06:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem after Knock sensor replacement

Replaced the rear knock sensor on a 99 TA WS6. The code was congruent with a rear KS going bad and there were signs of that. Removal of the intake went ok except I broke the oil sensor and had to replace that. Fun part to find on a sunday. No real problems getting everything back into place.

First time I started it the driver side injectors were not in all the way. ran funny. But found and fixed that no problem.

Second time around it would turn and not start. Unlocking the doors and then trying to start it helped. Security system engaged somehow. oops

So the TA is running. took it around the block and durring moderate to heavy excelleration around 2.5k-3k rpms the car starts to buck big time, losses power. The entire instrument cluster goes berserk. Every thing pegs out 3 times and every light (indicator) turns on and the trip meter resets. Almost like if you just put the key in and turn it forward but don't start it. But the engine never dies completely and then it runs just fine. Only did it in first gear.

Trouble shot it sitting still as well. While giving gas it did the same thing. It would just act like it was resetting. The last time the engine died. Seems that if you do not keep giving it gas the engine dies. But when sitting still there was no pattern to when it would happen. It even happened at idle. When the car is off the gauges still bounced.

Anybody have any idea what I did? or didn't do? I keep going over it and over it. I can't find anything I missed. I need a fresh perspective on this one. It seems to me like an electrical issue. But I have been wrong before.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dunno, but the gauges sweeping/trip resetting sounds like a battery connection/low voltage problem.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:21 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Check all your grounds..