Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removed airbox and airfilter connected to intake pipe to MAF...and cut box

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removed airbox and airfilter connected to intake pipe to MAF...and cut box

a buddy of mine on his vette said to take a round filter and ditch the airbox and connect the filter right to the intake pipe and run my dry shot in there because its still before maf. and he also said i could cut the top of my intake box and they both are cheap ways to avoid spending money on a lid...

would i see the same gains out of either of this or should i go ahead and order a lid.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Your buddy is talking about the free ram air mod. Not really worth it IMO unless you get something like the SSRA to keep the dedicated cool air flowing to the intake. Find a used lid and be done with it. Not exactly the most expensive mod and then you don't have to hack up the shroud under your airbox. See www.installuniversity.com if you want to know exactly what he's talking about.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:44 PM
Launching!

thanks, im going to talk to him more about what the hell he did because he cut the top of the airbox on his
Old 10-30-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

The Vettes are different. Their airbox pulls air in from the top. I did the same on mine when I had it. F-bodies pull it from the bottom. If you cut the top, it'll let unfiltered air into the motor.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

i did the free ram air mod the other day.. it improved my throttle response decently well... i just need to port my TB now.