Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No catalytic converter???

Old 10-30-2006, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No catalytic converter???

Well today i look under my car for the first time. I had my flowmaster 80 series installed a few weeks back, the shop didn't say a word, so i figured everything was stock under there.

When my step dad and i are looking today.. we notice that the 2 manifold pipes are going into a single 2.75/3" pipe thats going to my muffler. The heat shield is there, but no cat! It's a very solid weild on there too, no leaks and the pipe that its going in to looks brand new (stainless steel).

My question is this.. why am i not getting any codes being thrown? The SES light has never come on..

Perhaps the previous owner installed O2 sims??

Also what are the advantages and disadvantages of having a cat on or off. I plan on leaving it off for now, don't want to waste money of something like that. Many people say that it sounds raspy without it.. but on my car i get no rasp at all, it is a clean sound all the way through 6k rpms.. Although, not as deep as i would like it to be, but hey, its a flowmaster 80 series =P

I plan to install headers/cut-out soon.. so im curious as to what route to take with the cat.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

anyone?
Old 10-30-2006, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you don't care just don't buy new ones when you put headers on. Most people don't anyways. I will be myself but I haven't ordered them yet.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

when you get headers + cutout... you will definitely notice the difference between with and without cats. i suggest getting an electric cutout valve to go with it for easy "stock" sound to unleashing the beast.

as for the codes... if it was ever taken to a tuning place... could have just deleted it with hp tuners... that's what i did to mine.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The stock cats are not under the car, they're up beside the
block. An exhaust shop usually wouldn't remove cats even if
you paid them, let alone for free.

Search this Thread