Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok... LAST EWP question and im done

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 12:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ok... LAST EWP question and im done

Ok so i got the water pump installed and all wired up and it worked and everythin (suprising cause this is the first time ive wired something, I was so sure it wasnt gonna work.) Anyhow, so it worked and everything so i went ahead and started her up, and i could hear the pump working. So about a minute goes by and i just check underneath my car and to my dismay i see a few drips of coolant leaking from somewhere so i look under and its comin from that inlet spout where the thermostat goes!!! When i read the directions from LS1howto.com, they said when it comes in the package, you can take it off by turning with ur hand slowly... well that was near impossible and i had to use giant clamps to get it off and it was still hard... Well when i put it back on i did it by hand (cause thats what ls1howto said to do.) Now that i look at it, it doesnt seem to be twisted on there all the way... HOWEVER, I did try to use the clamps to put it back on the way it was but it would tighten to a certain point then just slip out... so i figured i was supposed to do it by hand.

Now im wondering if i should just try to use the clamps again and see if i can tighten it down some more, or if its defective. Anyone else have this problem or might know what it is? Sorry for the loooong post, i just want to make sure i give all the info about the situation, i really want to get this fixed... my car has been down for a month and its killin me...
Old 11-01-2006, 02:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When you say you put it on by hand are you talking about puting the thermostat in the housing, or threading it into the block. Also, is it leaking from the thermostat or the hose that goes on to the thermostat?
Old 11-01-2006, 04:11 AM
TECH Resident

Im talking about treading it into the water pump. and im pretty sure its leaking from the housing. How would i be able to tell otherwise? I can see the housing sticking out from the pump by like 1/8th of an inch or so, so im thinking its the housing thats leaking.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That same fitting gave me a but of a hassle when I was installing my EWP also!

I was finally able to unscrew the part, line it up just so, start threading it back on, by hand. Once I had it started right, then I snugged it, by hand.

Tested it out, it ran fine, no leaks. I did one final snug, with a wrench - and called it a day.

Works great now - but what a PITA.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

when i had to put a new thermostat on my radiator hose was a bit worn and would drip on to the belt causing an annoying squeak. I screwed with it for awhile until I realized it was just easier to put a second hose clamp on it.

If you can't get it to thread right, just have one of your friends who knows absolutley nothing about cars come over and try to thread it in. They seem to have some magical moron power that's needed to get the job done. That's what usually works for me, it's frustrating watching them succeed where you failed but it's nice having it done.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Resident

HAHA i know just what u mean... i had my friend, who knows nothing about cars, help me out with stuff... and for some dam reason he was able to be successful with alot of stuff that i couldnt manage to do, partially cause he has small hands so he could reach down and unbolt stuff easier, but ya thats frustrating. Ok well im gonna give it another whirl with the wrench tomorrow and see if i can tighten it down some more. If it doesnt work i guess ill call meziere and ask them what i can do. My car has been down for like a month and a half... this is so frustrating.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like your just not lining up the threads right, there kind of tricky to line up, but if there lined up right and the o rings on properly it should tighten all the way by hand. just keep messing with it(i like to turn things backwards till i feel a click, then start to tighten the threads) should work. i dont think its a defect, as mine was hard to thread also its just the type of threads.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:06 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lay a picture out on here if you can.