Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ported my tb and maf

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 04:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ported my tb and maf

just put my ported tb and mass air back on unbeleivable notice in throttle reponse it idles smoother revs quicker you can hear the difference this is a very easy and inexspesive modifacation i also done tb bypass between the three id say i gained 15 to 20 hp i can feel a difference in power all i used was an electric die grinder a matco tools aluminum deburring bit and 80 and 300 grit sandpaper for polishing i would recomend anyone doing this
ANYONE WITH THESE MODS DONE A DYNO PULL JUST CURIOS
98 TA A4
3.73S
PP3
SLP LID
K&N
FLOWMASTER CAT BACK
PORTED MAF
PORTED TB
TB BYPASS
FRA
Old 11-01-2006, 04:35 PM
Has Unresolved Sales In Feedback/12 second club

I doubt you ganed 15-20hp, mabe 3-5hp. did you keep the screen on the MAF? Its recommended that you keep it on there to keep out debris. (especially if you run you car with out a filter at the track and on fri and sat nights!).
Old 11-01-2006, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

I really want to port my maf and leave the screen on, because it just looks so restricitive. but everyone says not to do it.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FireSilverLullaby
I really want to port my maf and leave the screen on, because it just looks so restricitive. but everyone says not to do it.
i wouldn't port it maybe just polish it...and smooth the transition points...if it is bothering you that bad haha
Old 11-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Has Unresolved Sales In Feedback/12 second club

That screen is what protects your engine from Larger Peices of Crap that make it by the Filter, My maf always had grass seeds somehow getting into the screen?
Old 11-01-2006, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

There Are People On Hear Who Haved Gained 10whp Just From Ported Tb And You Cant Feel 3 To 5hp How Many Aftermarket Mafs Have A Screen Your Air Filter Is There To Catch Dirt And Debree Im Not Just Some Dumbass Im Ase Certified And Have Done This For Over 10 Years Im Just New To The Ls1 Had The Car About 6 Mo Just Look At Both Parts You Can See The Areas That Are Restrictive If Its Only 5 Hp Its 5 I Didnt Have
Old 11-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by notatruews6
That screen is what protects your engine from Larger Peices of Crap that make it by the Filter, My maf always had grass seeds somehow getting into the screen?
The Mass Air screen is not there to catch big things like grass or grass seeds. You are having a bad seal with the lid or something else. The screen was put on by GM not for the purpose of catching particles. Thats what the air filter is for. It was put there to straighten out the air flow.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:05 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

but everyone says not to do it.
that is because it is a bad idea. You don't have the mods to need that type of detailism.....yet. Cam your car then lets talk.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

according to this GM book that i about LSX they say that the first thing to do is de-screen the MAF.. Will I? NO.. but if you do not belive me i can quote what thye book says. it was written by the guys who built the LSx motors.... besides the new 05+ vette has no MAF screen
Old 11-01-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WS6RED2002TA
The Mass Air screen is not there to catch big things like grass or grass seeds. You are having a bad seal with the lid or something else. The screen was put on by GM not for the purpose of catching particles. Thats what the air filter is for. It was put there to straighten out the air flow.

THank you! The MAF screen IS there to smoothe the airflow over the sensing elements. -I was wondering if someone else knew this, besides me...

The MAF is calibrated w/ the screen ON there. It makes for a more accurate reading of air density. As far as stopping debris, unless you are running NO airfilter, that's what the Filter is for. You would have to be running one seriously effed up air filter to be sucking in seeds and stuff. I would also discourage PORTING the MAF. It is calibrated to sense air that passes through **mm opening. If you mess with the opening size, it effects the mixture in the long run. THen it would, in theroy be taking in more air than it thinks it is. Maybe running too lean. ..but then the O2's would pick up on this. then richen it up, then you gas mileage just went down. THe stock MAF is good up to a conciderable HP number. -As far as flow. Take a look at some of the PRO cars running about 6-800hp, I guarantee a portion of them will be using the stock MAF. I bought my car 4 years ago and it did not have the screen on the maf... I would put it back on if I had it.

On the other hand, porting the TB is good for some HP. I noticed a great throttle responce improvment on mine. Between P+P the TB and the TB Bypass, that is actually worth about 5 hp. GMHTP did some dyno testing to prove Free-Mod HP#'s. The TB bypass was one of the biggest gains out of the 4 or 5 freemods available.

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
....besides the new 05+ vette has no MAF screen
It probably doesn't need it then. Maybe calibrated w/o it and may work efficiently w/o it. If the book was written by the MAKERS of the LSx engines, then why would the MAF be produced w/ the screen on there if it was THAT unnesissary? ... just a thought.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 11-01-2006 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by notatruews6
Yeah my stock airlid wouldnt seal all the way around, and grass would get caught in mine. I would want to leave that their just for more protection incase something gets by the airfilter.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

15-20 hp seems really generous... Try taking off the chokemaster, might see some more power that way.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
The TB bypass was one of the biggest gains out of the 4 or 5 freemods available.
Don't you mean porting the throttle body?
Old 11-01-2006, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

my maf doesnt have a screen.. it wasn't me that did it though.. =x
Old 11-01-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Shallow Bay
Don't you mean porting the throttle body?

No. Like said, the TB bypass was one of the best gains as far as free mods. Combine it w/ the TB P+P job make for some decent gains. -As far as dificulty and ammount of work for the gain.

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1
....i also done tb bypass.....
Old 11-01-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Veteran

the same reason im taking mine off and welding a hooker aerochamber in its place. thatll be +5hp at the most and better sound.

Originally Posted by Cld069
Try taking off the chokemaster, might see some more power that way.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

descreening the maf does nothing, its only recommended if its already damaged, ive never seen a ported TB give anything above 10hp...and that was with a perfect setup and tune....porting the maf is also useless, bigger chance of damage to the electrodes then the actual gain if any....the TB bypass is a good appearance mod and i do it the TB's i port for people just on that assumption...not because it supposedly gives you 6rwhp....like the garage queens on ebay will tell you.....
Old 11-02-2006, 01:04 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

The reason I tell people not to de-screen is fear of them tagging the element with the de-screening tool (screwdriver, knife, fork, dick , wrench...ect). I have both of mine de-screened and all it did was lean it out so minor that it was never really noticed. Plus lean = mean.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
The reason I tell people not to de-screen is fear of them tagging the element with the de-screening tool (screwdriver, knife, fork, dick , wrench...ect)
Old 11-02-2006, 04:02 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Hey, you never know.