Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what does EGR do !

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question what does EGR do !

One of my firends has a '98 camaro ..he took out his egr and told me that EGR lets warm air comes into the intake !! is that true !! one thing I know is that ppl take it out just for making the engine bay looks better ,,

is what he said true ?
what is the function of egr ?
is taking it out starts the check engine indicator ?
Old 11-12-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think...EGR stands for Exhaust Gas recirculation....or something along those lines. basically it takes air out of your exhaust and recirculates it back into your intake manifold. So basically its putting burnt exhaust gas/fumes/dirty *** air back into your motor. It was designed to help reduce emissions but probably isnt the best thing for your motor. EGR only came on 98-00 ls1's. You can delete it but yes, it will throw a code.

edit: dont delete it thinking youll gain alot of hp from it because you really wont. It just keeps your motor a little healthier, reduces weight, and cleans up the engine bay. Most people delete thiers because they switch to an ls6 intake manifold.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:35 AM
Launching!

yeah im wondering about this to i heard it hurts your valves to.... is this true?

Last edited by 1slow98Z28; 11-12-2006 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NxLS1496
I think...EGR stands for Exhaust Gas recirculation....or something along those lines. basically it takes air out of your exhaust and recirculates it back into your intake manifold. So basically its putting burnt exhaust gas/fumes/dirty *** air back into your motor. It was designed to help reduce emissions but probably isnt the best thing for your motor. EGR only came on 98-00 ls1's. You can delete it but yes, it will throw a code.

edit: dont delete it thinking youll gain alot of hp from it because you really wont. It just keeps your motor a little healthier, reduces weight, and cleans up the engine bay. Most people delete thiers because they switch to an ls6 intake manifold.
thanks
Old 11-12-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EGR has a little benefit too other than emissions. On highway the EGR opens up more to allow you to run more timing, more timing + leaner fuel = detonation, but exhaust gas doesn't burn. This was the older way of getting that insane highway mileage. With the 01 cams, there's enough cam overlap to allow self-EGR of the cam. 01 got rid of the EGR system because they moved that into the cam design.

Depending on the fuel quality you have and the temperatures the engine experiences, removing the EGR on a pre-01 is a hit or miss deal. If it's a miss, you lose some highway mileage due to not being able to run the extra timing. Each engine responds differently. I just think if and when I do the EGR, I will have a whole list of mods under the table to warrant a real tune instead of going in and trying to delete the dozen places that have the EGR programmed in.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Teching In

If you have emission testing in your area you wont be able to get your tags renewed with the cel on - on 96 & newer cars here they hook a scan tool up & check for codes - light on no tags until light goes out
Old 11-12-2006, 05:46 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Warm air = exhaust

Old 11-12-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The intention of EGR is to reduce the ignition temperature at cruise to reduce NO emmissions. The principle being to put non combustable gas into the mix to "cool" the fire. The hotter the burn, the more NO emmisions. It only operates at part throttle and closes on acceleration so doesn't hurt power.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/500407-egr-air-o2-sensors-motor-tranny-mount-faq.html
Old 11-13-2006, 05:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

There's some close info here and some a little far of the mark.

Exhaust Gas Recircultation intorduces inert gas into the intake. This is taken from the exhuast.

It is there to lower PEAK combustion temps and reduce NOX emissions. The EGR system does not opporate under WOT and costs ZERO hp.

There is also sufficent argument that beacuse it reduces PEAK combustion temps at part throttle then it may actually be a help in reducing the risk of detonation.

01+ Ls1's have "internal" EGR due to the cam profile.

If youwish to remove EGR for cosmetic purposes so be it. But as far as performance goes it ony makes sense to remove it if you are installing components which don't support it (intake or exhaust manifold), however there will still be no direct HP gain by removing EGR.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yeah forgot about that the EGR doesn't operate at WOT making it a non factor in performance, the extra timing at highway speeds is for economy, not power. Hence the large gap in highway mileage versus city mileage.