Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do ls1 mac mids need 02 extensions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default do ls1 mac mids need 02 extensions?

simple yes or no, thanks
Old 11-12-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nope.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:20 PM
12 Second Club

^^^^werd
Old 11-12-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Resident

i own a set....no...but unless ur gonna get the highflow cats...ur best bet is to get it hand held tune and delete them bastards
Old 11-12-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Resident

or else ur gonna be throwin codes all day
Old 11-13-2006, 04:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hennytime
simple yes or no, thanks
Guess that means you don't want any opinion on why you didn't get LT's then?
Old 11-13-2006, 06:54 AM
11 Second Club

here goes another thread on why everyone should get LT's even though I made 400RWHP with macs.........

No, you don't need extensions on macs and for the rest of the naysayers....... they WORK FINE and make PLENTY of power!
Old 11-13-2006, 07:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gillbot
here goes another thread on why everyone should get LT's even though I made 400RWHP with macs.........

No, you don't need extensions on macs and for the rest of the naysayers....... they WORK FINE and make PLENTY of power!
Yes they do work fine, but how much HP would you pick up going to Lt's?

And not just PEAK but accross the board.

Mids work well in high revving appications and will generally show strong PEAK numbers, but it's below the curve where they loose out, this is because the p rimaries are to short to effectivly scavange it lower rpms. Flow rate really isn't important, although 3" collectors would certainly be a bonus, but again as the mids don't scavenge at lower rpms there is less chance of having mulitple pulses in the collector at the same time.

Go for big displacement or FI and mids will really start and show their limitations. bolt on, cammed ls1's yes they will be fine, but not ideal.

BTW - If someone made 400rwhp with stock manifolds would that then be proof that all tubular ones are not needed?
Old 11-13-2006, 07:17 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Guess that means you don't want any opinion on why you didn't get LT's then?
That was what I was about to do!
Old 11-13-2006, 07:56 AM
12 Second Club

i used the serach button when deciding on getting them, and in stead of buying pacesetters for 500 bucks, i got these for 260 shipped. besides these wont be on my car for more than 2-3 years, as my "grad present" will be a 408+ci motor. by then ill need 1 7/8 or stepped headers, but these will do just fine on 346ci. besides its not likei can order exentions when i get the lt's but for now, its economy build time due to college sucking all of my monies away. thats why i have spray and am getting a hot cam. might not be the best but it works well, is cost effective and sounds damn good with little maintainance. and if you know anyone looking to sell hptuners for a 02 let me know
Old 11-13-2006, 08:11 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are going to pay for a hotcam, you might as well buy some springs new, and get a used cam and pushrods in the for sale section. Same price.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:45 PM
dug
Banned

I would rather have longtubes. If I were to do it over, Id save up the money for stainless steel qtp's.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:00 PM
11 Second Club

Yes they do work fine, but how much HP would you pick up going to Lt's?

And not just PEAK but accross the board.

Mids work well in high revving appications and will generally show strong PEAK numbers, but it's below the curve where they loose out, this is because the p rimaries are to short to effectivly scavange it lower rpms. Flow rate really isn't important, although 3" collectors would certainly be a bonus, but again as the mids don't scavenge at lower rpms there is less chance of having mulitple pulses in the collector at the same time.

Go for big displacement or FI and mids will really start and show their limitations. bolt on, cammed ls1's yes they will be fine, but not ideal.

BTW - If someone made 400rwhp with stock manifolds would that then be proof that all tubular ones are not needed?
If your goal is only 400rwhp then yes I would say that.

I never said that MACs are the best performing header out there, I just hate it that people give them about as much respect as a set of stock manifolds. I put macs on my car because there was nothing else available in the price range when I bought them. After seeing everyone buy LT's, I thought about switching but after seeing the threads when people did switch, I didn't think it was worth the MAYBE 5RWHP gain for such poor fitment. Every car I've helped put LT's on, the fitment was HORRIBLE. I'll keep my macs and give up a few HP so I have a good fit. IMHO, for the price you can get macs for WITH ory used, I still say they are one of the best bang for buck mods going. My last set I got for 225 shipped, there isn't a single set of LT's with Y that can compare to that price.

EDIT> On top of that, most people that say how bad they are never even owned a set of them.

I agree though, if you want max effort, go LT's but if you want a budget header, get MACs.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no extensions. they cut it close though
Old 11-14-2006, 04:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gillbot
If your goal is only 400rwhp then yes I would say that.

I never said that MACs are the best performing header out there, I just hate it that people give them about as much respect as a set of stock manifolds. I put macs on my car because there was nothing else available in the price range when I bought them. After seeing everyone buy LT's, I thought about switching but after seeing the threads when people did switch, I didn't think it was worth the MAYBE 5RWHP gain for such poor fitment. Every car I've helped put LT's on, the fitment was HORRIBLE. I'll keep my macs and give up a few HP so I have a good fit. IMHO, for the price you can get macs for WITH ory used, I still say they are one of the best bang for buck mods going. My last set I got for 225 shipped, there isn't a single set of LT's with Y that can compare to that price.

EDIT> On top of that, most people that say how bad they are never even owned a set of them.

I agree though, if you want max effort, go LT's but if you want a budget header, get MACs.
I don't think they are bad, and I fully agree PEAK numbers are generally pretty good from them. It's just the under curve performance that bothers me and the fact that I personally hate going half measures. I'm the sort of person who will wait and wait until I can get what I really want. I find I'll only end spending more money re-doing the same mods over otherwise.

But if you're happy with your Mac mids, then there really is nothing else to say. Because in terms of your car, the only person who has to be satisified is you.

Laters
Old 11-14-2006, 04:27 PM
11 Second Club

I don't think they are bad, and I fully agree PEAK numbers are generally pretty good from them. It's just the under curve performance that bothers me and the fact that I personally hate going half measures. I'm the sort of person who will wait and wait until I can get what I really want. I find I'll only end spending more money re-doing the same mods over otherwise.

But if you're happy with your Mac mids, then there really is nothing else to say. Because in terms of your car, the only person who has to be satisified is you.

Laters

As i said, I just hate the fact that people give them the respect of manifolds when they do perform rather well, just not the absolute best.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Macs here and over 400 rwhp on a dynojet.My car was tuned on a mustang dyno that reads lower numbers at 393/352 you could had just 6% to that mustang dyno for 416 rwhp/373 torque.Might be even more I am going to a dynojet soon and see.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id also like to add that if you ever plan on lowering your car macs are the way to go. What little power you might sacrifice is worth the ground clearence.

My car sits LOW on sportlines and i am on my 2nd set of longtubes, and they look real banged up already. If this set breaks too im going to have to choose between getting some macs or raising my car back up(and i love the low look)
Old 11-14-2006, 05:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1BAD02WS6
id also like to add that if you ever plan on lowering your car macs are the way to go. What little power you might sacrifice is worth the ground clearence.

My car sits LOW on sportlines and i am on my 2nd set of longtubes, and they look real banged up already. If this set breaks too im going to have to choose between getting some macs or raising my car back up(and i love the low look)
+1

My car has DMS springs. I know quite a few people that have LT's and their headers got tore up after lowering. Many of them switched to MACs after seeing my car.