Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Legal CA exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 11:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legal CA exhaust

So i have LT's and ORY now and I want to tame it down and be completly legit, so I have started looking into shorty's or any other legal exhaust manifold.
So far:
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...d_shorty.shtml

http://www.jbaheaders.com/results.asp

my second question is y-pipe and cat's, I assume I could have a shop mock me up one but what cats should I throw in there (random tech's?)?

any pictures and comments would be great
Old 11-15-2006, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's still not gonna be completely legit, which is what you're saying you want, unless you have the factory catalytic converters on there.

Why don't you just put cats after your Jet Hots?
Old 11-15-2006, 11:20 PM
11 Second Club

i am in CA they will see the long tubes I am assuming, and I have no carb #, edlebrocks have a carb #, so no problems, and if cats are in the same place
Old 11-15-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've looked extensively into the whole emissions deal. Let me summarize what the little paperwork slip says that came with my 2 new magnaflow cats.

-Cats are covered by the emission control warranty for 8 years or 80,000 miles.
- Fed. law prohibits replacement, tampering, movement of the location.

So basically, you can only replace them if they FAIL. What you replace them with are brand new factory-spec ones that a Chevy dealer will order.

I mean this slip wants me to give all this info to Magnaflow:

My name, address, phone, vehicle description including year, engine, mileage, what emissions level the car meets, and the facility representative from where the work is being done.

So, when you tell me you want to be straight-arrow by doing it YOUR way, I'm telling you that you're not.

I've looked into this more than once before.

I haven't got this crap on my car yet because I'm trying to find an installer who will risk their business license and/or large fines in CA for TOUCHING the cats. K?
Old 11-15-2006, 11:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokeySS
It's still not gonna be completely legit, which is what you're saying you want, unless you have the factory catalytic converters on there.
I beleive with the age of the car ('98), he should be able to run any CARB approved cat replacement he wants so long as it's in the stock location.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:46 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the Pacesetter shorties. They are C.A.R.B. approved and much cheaper. You can actually get them through Jet - Hot.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:58 AM
TECH Addict

i have a set of pacesetter shorties for sale and a custom y-pipe that passed SMOG back in March this year with ease... but i think im a little far from you
Old 11-16-2006, 03:59 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RrCoX22
i have a set of pacesetter shorties for sale and a custom y-pipe that passed SMOG back in March this year with ease... but i think im a little far from you
Are they mouth tested for good scavenging?
Old 11-16-2006, 08:52 AM
Banned

I used to run what you would call a theoretically legal CA exhaust. I had JBA shorties (which have a carb number) and magnaflow cats (which I believe some also have a carb number) into true duals. Unless you're going to a referree station, you will pass at most places, as the cats were in the original location (they just check for the existance of cats), and I had shorites. Ymmv.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

cali sucks *****!!!
Old 11-16-2006, 10:26 AM
11 Second Club

yeah cats back to original locations and then the shortys problem is the shortys need a carb # and most put that # in a unreadable place, anyone have any ideas of where the carb # is on the edlebrock or JBA headers or the pacesetter shorty's?
Old 11-16-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

My cats have a carb number for them too but it doesn't mean that I can legally replace them. You can replace the cats only if they have FAILED after their 8/80,000 federal warranty. Not, "Oh his car's a 98 so he can."

Do I care? No, but I want to keep dnm informed just in case.

And as for holding the CARB number for an inspection, roadside or at a smog check, if you're buying the short headers new then they more than likely, I don't know because I've never bought them, come with paper work that says they're California Air Research Board approved.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:28 AM
The know it all's know it all

Originally Posted by dnm12
So i have LT's and ORY now and I want to tame it down and be completly legit, so I have started looking into shorty's or any other legal exhaust manifold.
So far:
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...d_shorty.shtml

http://www.jbaheaders.com/results.asp

my second question is y-pipe and cat's, I assume I could have a shop mock me up one but what cats should I throw in there (random tech's?)?

any pictures and comments would be great
Move to another state.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SmokeySS
My cats have a carb number for them too but it doesn't mean that I can legally replace them. You can replace the cats only if they have FAILED after their 8/80,000 federal warranty. Not, "Oh his car's a 98 so he can."

Do I care? No, but I want to keep dnm informed just in case.

And as for holding the CARB number for an inspection, roadside or at a smog check, if you're buying the short headers new then they more than likely, I don't know because I've never bought them, come with paper work that says they're California Air Research Board approved.
They had to have failed after 8/80K in order to replace them?? I thought stock location after 8/80K was still legal, regardless of condition? Also, in any case, doesn't Random Tech make a perfectly legal, OEM replacement, stock location, higher flow cat/down pipe?? The feds are crazy if they think a 10 year old, 100K+ mile cat is going to stop more CO (and everything else) than even a high flow aftermarket brand new cat in the stock location!!
Old 11-16-2006, 01:58 PM
11 Second Club

yeah your not gonna have problems with carb #'s i have seen them in action they are like the man telling the man what do to. As far as cats if they are not attached to a set of LT's and they are in generall the stock location dont expect in problems in Cali. Basically you need Carb #'s and cats. I put a high flow cat on my 90 bronco back in the day and it passed fine at a referee station in sac and the cat had been moved a little, no problems though. basically is there any other shortys that have a carb # besides:

JBA
Edlebrock
Pacesetter

and with any of those where is the carb # or does it come with a sticker? also any photos of these installed. I am leaning towards the edlebrock's
Old 11-16-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

I just switched from shorties to LT's and I love it. I HATED having shorties in my car. By far the biggest waste of money I put into my car.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by import slayer
I just switched from shorties to LT's and I love it. I HATED having shorties in my car. By far the biggest waste of money I put into my car.

looks like your not concerned about passing smog either are you?
Old 11-16-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Are they mouth tested for good scavenging?
you damn bet they were! flowed approximently 30cfm less than my current setup according to my cheek cells
Old 11-16-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

looks like your not concerned about passing smog either are you?
HELL NO!! My car is registered in NC
Old 11-16-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RrCoX22
you damn bet they were! flowed approximently 30cfm less than my current setup according to my cheek cells
lol..