Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blackwing lid

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 02:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blackwing lid

Before any flaming starts, I have used the search button but couldn't find specific answers or comments that ammount to squat.

When I bought my car the orginal owner put on the K&N fipk kit, didn't like the way it looked or how it performed and put on the orginal slp blackwing lid which the owner kept (along with a K&N drop in filter). Is it worth it in the long run to switch out the blackswing to an aftermarket lid? In the long run I mean I plan on doing long tubes, mild head/cam package, 90/90 combo, all the usual bolt-on's. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Blackwing lid-p1010001a.jpg  
Old 11-18-2006, 02:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Slammed99s10
Before any flaming starts, I have used the search button but couldn't find specific answers or comments that ammount to squat.

When I bought my car the orginal owner put on the K&N fipk kit, didn't like the way it looked or how it performed and put on the orginal slp blackwing lid which the owner kept (along with a K&N drop in filter). Is it worth it in the long run to switch out the blackswing to an aftermarket lid? In the long run I mean I plan on doing long tubes, mild head/cam package, 90/90 combo, all the usual bolt-on's. Thanks.

i thought the FIPK flowed better then stock

i know mine does
Old 11-18-2006, 02:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
i thought the FIPK flowed better then stock

i know mine does
Not sure, from what I read on here does it not suck hot air from the motor mostly? Except those with SS's or ram air hoods?
Old 11-18-2006, 02:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Slammed99s10
Not sure, from what I read on here does it not suck hot air from the motor mostly? Except those with SS's or ram air hoods?

theres no hard evidence it sucks any more hot air then a normal lid....most people dont like it bc the high price and then they make all the other arguments to avoid that....and yea, its easy to speculate that it probably does inhale a little more of the hotter air, but when it's a street car it doesnt really make that much of a difference. its still able to inhale more air then the stock lid, and when your moving and the air is coming into the engine bay that air is cooler.....some people modify the bottom of there FIPK tray and open it so outside air can come in from the bottom too

oh, and yes, an aftermarket lid will show more gains over stock. if your looking to do a 90/90 setup i would search for the largest lid possible (85 i believe) so the flow is less restricted to begin with
Old 11-18-2006, 03:28 AM
TECH Resident

Hang on to that SLP Blackwing Lid. Apparently they are some of the best fitting/made lids. Used ones sell for up to 300 bucks and it is a highly desired lid that are very hard to find. They came on the 345hp package on the SSs, maybe on the WS6s but I'm not sure. Luckily my car is a 345hp SS so I have one on my car. I would use the Blackwing lid. They're almost as bad as the CME setups in terms of price markup.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
theres no hard evidence it sucks any more hot air then a normal lid....most people dont like it bc the high price and then they make all the other arguments to avoid that....and yea, its easy to speculate that it probably does inhale a little more of the hotter air, but when it's a street car it doesnt really make that much of a difference. its still able to inhale more air then the stock lid, and when your moving and the air is coming into the engine bay that air is cooler.....some people modify the bottom of there FIPK tray and open it so outside air can come in from the bottom too

oh, and yes, an aftermarket lid will show more gains over stock. if your looking to do a 90/90 setup i would search for the largest lid possible (85 i believe) so the flow is less restricted to begin with
True true, I can see your point on how the kit would act on a regular street car.

So you really don't think the blackwing lid is as good as an aftermarket lid or is there really a difference between a normal oem stock lid vs a blackwing besides the "noise" baffels and fins on the inside of the lid? That is until I move to a 90/90 setup which I would try to get an 85mm lid as well.

Originally Posted by Jimmard
Hang on to that SLP Blackwing Lid. Apparently they are some of the best fitting/made lids. Used ones sell for up to 300 bucks and it is a highly desired lid that are very hard to find. They came on the 345hp package on the SSs, maybe on the WS6s but I'm not sure. Luckily my car is a 345hp SS so I have one on my car. I would use the Blackwing lid. They're almost as bad as the CME setups in terms of price markup.

Oh ya from the many posts I've read that's what I've heard and seen on here or ebay. My car is the same as yours, 02 SS, black on black, M6, hard top, and SLP 345hp option from the factory. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Facts.
SLP's Donaldson/Blackwing came on the mid-late 2002 Firehawk & SS only. (Not the WS6.)
This added option is what sent the ratings from 335hp to 345hp. (Not the CME.) Don't bother argueing it with me, I don't want to hear it.
Opinion/Fact.
The Blackwing lid is the best fitting, best made lid out there. Flows just as well or better then any aftermarket lid. You will see NO noticeable gains when going to some other aftermarket lid. NO significant hp gains, NO significant time gains in drag racing.

The complete package from SLP used to be near the $300 mark. But they don't offer it any more. The lid itself, if you include the oval shaped boot, usually sells for anywhere between $50-150 depending on the seller/buyer. If you sell all the accessories that go with it, like the boot, the original excellent flowing Donaldson paper element & the AIR tubing, you get a bit more money for it. (The paper element is no longer available either, so you must use some other brand.)

Wanna sell it?!? Let me know immediately! (I collect'em!!)
Old 11-18-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
Facts.
SLP's Donaldson/Blackwing came on the mid-late 2002 Firehawk & SS only. (Not the WS6.)
This added option is what sent the ratings from 335hp to 345hp. (Not the CME.) Don't bother argueing it with me, I don't want to hear it.
Opinion/Fact.
Who's arguing? Although my car was a 345hp SS, it didnt come with the CME. The CME was just tips and a valence. Did the CME always come with the dual/dual or could you get the CME without it?
Old 11-18-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Who's arguing? Although my car was a 345hp SS, it didnt come with the CME. The CME was just tips and a valence. Did the CME always come with the dual/dual or could you get the CME without it?
Sorry, my comment was not aimed directly at you.
SLP did the cat-back upgrade as an added option. It either came with the dual-dual, single tips, or the CME. I believe they all used the same stainless muffler. Does your car appear to have a stainless steel construction muffler? (Not positive about the single tips tho. Not sure if any of them were delivered with single tips or not.)

I was simply trying to make the statement that the lid change was what changed the ratings from 335-345.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Well, the 325 to 335 change was made by adding the SLP Dual/Dual then. My car came with the SLP dual/dual and just the regular dual tips. I was just wondering if you got the CME, did that include the dual/dual with it?
Old 11-18-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the blackwing flows great, no point inm buying another lid. the K&N sucks in m ore hot air and limits what you can do also. with a lid, you can seal it to your ram air hood, or use a CAI kit, that will make more hp and be cheaper than the K&N thing
Old 11-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

To the original poster: You got your answer above, but to reiterate: the Blackwing has the general reputation as the finest LS1 lid ever made.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the Blackwing lid on my car and switched to the after market SLP lid that my dad had on his car and did not run better or porduce better track times at all! out my blackwing back on!
Old 11-18-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, the 325 to 335 change was made by adding the SLP Dual/Dual then. My car came with the SLP dual/dual and just the regular dual tips. I was just wondering if you got the CME, did that include the dual/dual with it?
The dual/dual refers to the dual exhaust / dual or twin outlet tips.
Not sure what you're saying above.
Did someone change the tips to single outlet tips, one on each side?
Dual/dual can not be referred to in the same sentence as the CME.
You either got dual exhaust/dual tips, or you got dual exhaust/CME tips.
Not dual/dual/CME.
What I'm saying is that if you got the dual/dual, you also got the free-flowing stainless muffler from SLP. If you got the CME, you also got the same free-flowing stainless muffler from SLP.
I'm not sure if SLP ever provided the stainless cat-back system with single outlet tips tho. (Except probably did on earlier generations, like the LT1 & earlier cars maybe?)
Old 11-18-2006, 10:27 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After cracking my 85mm TSP lid, I kinda wish I had kept the Blackwing that originally came on my car (or at least sold it for more than $20)...it was a very high quality piece. The SLP lid is about 2nd in quality, so I'll just use that instead...but it still isn't as thick as that blackwing was.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
The dual/dual refers to the dual exhaust / dual or twin outlet tips.
Not sure what you're saying above.
Did someone change the tips to single outlet tips, one on each side?
Dual/dual can not be referred to in the same sentence as the CME.
You either got dual exhaust/dual tips, or you got dual exhaust/CME tips.
Not dual/dual/CME.
What I'm saying is that if you got the dual/dual, you also got the free-flowing stainless muffler from SLP. If you got the CME, you also got the same free-flowing stainless muffler from SLP.
I'm not sure if SLP ever provided the stainless cat-back system with single outlet tips tho. (Except probably did on earlier generations, like the LT1 & earlier cars maybe?)
My car does not have the original dual/dual exhaust on it. What I was asking was if you could get the CME without the high flow stainless muffler that SLP provided known as the "dual/dual". You answered my question. Thanks.