Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving with open headers???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Driving with open headers???

I tried search but, nothing came up

I was thinking of throwing my headers in before I drop my car off for it's TD set-up
The headers are stainless 1 7/8" primary with no fittings.
It's a 20 minute ride away being 99% on the highway.

Would I hurt anything driving with just open headers (o2 sensor's, etc.)?
I'd REALLY like not to get any black bs on the bottom of my spotless car, if I kept the rpm's low would it stay clean?
Am I nuts for even thinking of doing this???
Old 11-19-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, you may be ok, you may not. it can **** up stuff since cold air will rush back in and can mess up the valves or something. not only that but I know it can ruin 02's
Old 11-19-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

If you're only driving 20 minutes, I'd just remove the O2 sensors. The car will run in open loop, but it'll be fine.

Leaving the O2 sensors in and running open headers will ruin the sensors. The other alternative is adding about 18 inches of straight pip to the headers. That wll keep the O2 sensors good.

It's possible that the headers will blow some black soot on the bottom of the car, but unlikely.

Then there is also dealing with how loud it's going to be. Watch out for cops.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You'd be better off keeping the RPM high instead of low. Higher RPM will lessen the chance that the o2's will be exposed to fresh air. That will throw your reading crazy and even run the risk of damage to the o2. You'll prob be thrown into open loop and she'll run pig rich... If i was you, i'd connect any exhaust tubing you can after the headers just so you don't get fresh air reaching the o2's.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tainted
well, you may be ok, you may not. it can **** up stuff since cold air will rush back in and can mess up the valves or something. not only that but I know it can ruin 02's
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=open

DON'T POST THINGS THAT YOU THINK ARE FACT, UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT THEY ARE.

just get a 10 inch extension or so off the collector and you should be fine. What out for the cops though, it'll be loud and sort of obvious that you don't have cats.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

ive heard of people going a week or longer with just open headers. i say go for it, if its only 20 mins.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:51 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by cobrakillerta
I tried search but, nothing came up

I was thinking of throwing my headers in before I drop my car off for it's TD set-up
The headers are stainless 1 7/8" primary with no fittings.
It's a 20 minute ride away being 99% on the highway.

Would I hurt anything driving with just open headers (o2 sensor's, etc.)?
I'd REALLY like not to get any black bs on the bottom of my spotless car, if I kept the rpm's low would it stay clean?
Am I nuts for even thinking of doing this???
c'mon man, there are dozens of threads on this. i searched for a total of 30 seconds and found these:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=open+headers

running open headers not only destroys your ear drums and poisons your brain with toxic fumes, but it burns up your O2 sensors and slows you down by destroying your low and midrange power curve. sure, you'll be doing well at 7,000 rpm's, but how much time do we realistically spend in that part of the powerband? on a stock motor, none. formula 1 cars run open headers - yes - but that's because they rev to 19,000 rpm's. for a pushrod motor with a redline of 6,000 rpm's, they hurt you. run some kind of midpipe, an H/X-pipe will be your best friend in this instance. since your motor's rpm's aren't high enough, you need to take advantage of the scavenging effect through a midpipe to achieve best results.

driving for 20 mins should be harmless, however. just don't try to make a habit out of this
Old 11-20-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you will be fine i have ran open headers on my car bc i haven't had time to get my TD's back on yet. I have had no problems so dont worry bout it and if you have LT's then you will be ok and in no way will air get inside your engine and mess up valves like said above just drive it and dont worry nothings gonna happen ive driven mine prob 200 miles on open headers LOL.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:49 AM
10 Second Club

who needs 02 sensors :shrug:

run it open headers, and then when you have your car tuned delete your 02 sensors.

other option is that you can take your 02 sensors off the car to drive it, and when you get exhaust on it plug them back in
Old 11-21-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cop Car
who needs 02 sensors :shrug:

run it open headers, and then when you have your car tuned delete your 02 sensors.

other option is that you can take your 02 sensors off the car to drive it, and when you get exhaust on it plug them back in
the air could touch the o2 sensors that control your a/r ratio because they are close to the connector. If air hits that, your motor will think its going lean, spewing a bunch of fuel into your engine causing it to stumble. YOU NEED FRONT O2 SENSORS TO DRIVE THE CAR(unless your on a speed density tune).
Old 11-21-2006, 12:22 PM
12 Second Club

I was able to drive my car without o2s and open headers for a week with side effects minus gas consumption/loudness.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replies

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
c'mon man, there are dozens of threads on this. i searched for a total of 30 seconds and found these:
I guess search wasn't working, because not a single thread came up
Old 11-21-2006, 12:30 PM
10 Second Club

search blows
Old 11-21-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I drove mine around for 2 weeks with open headers, and I did burn up one of my 02's, but other than that, it wasn't a big deal. The idle sounded so bad *** with the Ms4 cam I have, but when I got on it, it sounded like ***. Now I just have mufflers off the end of my LT's, and it's much nicer to my ears.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:34 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by cobrakillerta
Thanks for all the replies

I guess search wasn't working, because not a single thread came up
probably. it was down for a week or so. sometimes it would work, but it would be terribly slow. it seems to be working now, though.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by melchoir
I was able to drive my car without o2s and open headers for a week with side effects minus gas consumption/loudness.
you had no o2 sensors hooked up at all? Or where you driving without the rear o2 sensors?
Old 11-22-2006, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Default Driving with open headers???

do what you want to do . but if you leave the headers open after you turn the car off ,that is when you can get warped valves. < cold air hitting hot valves>
Old 11-22-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
the air could touch the o2 sensors that control your a/r ratio because they are close to the connector. If air hits that, your motor will think its going lean, spewing a bunch of fuel into your engine causing it to stumble. YOU NEED FRONT O2 SENSORS TO DRIVE THE CAR(unless your on a speed density tune).
I think it's more likely that your car will throw a couple DTC such as P1133 or P1153 for insufficient switching. Once those codes are thrown, the car will be forced to operate in Open Loop all of the time.
Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
YOU NEED FRONT O2 SENSORS TO DRIVE THE CAR(unless your on a speed density tune).
Speed Density = No MAF
Open Loop = No feedback from O2 sensors

Originally Posted by ncarlson
do what you want to do . but if you leave the headers open after you turn the car off ,that is when you can get warped valves. < cold air hitting hot valves>
I don't know what this guy is talking about but you will not get warped valves from running open headers.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:48 PM
10 Second Club

100% wrong
Old 11-22-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

prove it..show me one time this has happened. one time. Do you just post **** without reading the other responses?

Originally Posted by Cop Car
100% wrong
agreeded.

Quick Reply: Driving with open headers???