Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how often will i need to dyno tune?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how often will i need to dyno tune?

if i get a stock ls1 f-body, and start modifying, how often will i need a re-tune? Each time after I get a modification? I don't want to have to drop the change down each time I add a lid, headers, stall, exhaust, intake etc. But is that the way it is usually done?
Old 11-21-2006, 12:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on how long in between each mod... if you finish your bolt ons and might go with a cam in the near future, wait. If you do a cam, then yea definitely get a tune. Bolt ons can usually get away without one, although it will help regardless.

-J
Old 11-21-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no dont get a tune after each mod thats stupid. youll spend twice as much money on tuning the car tahn putti parts on it. once you get al your bolt ons you can tune it, but like someone said if youre gonna cam it soon then wait until after the cam.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:59 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also depends on what type of tuning. SD or just MAF dyno tuning.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:17 AM
11 Second Club

i have heard though that depending on what size stall you get you need to get it tuned asap. i cant remember what it will hurt or whatever, but i do remember seeing something that said you should get it tuned for the converter
Old 11-21-2006, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Most people don't tune till the get a cam or heads or both. You can hold off on tuning till atleast headers. Headers are usualyl the thing that makes the car run pig rich, or a little lean, both of which you don't want to drive on to much. Either could hurt the engine. Some cars get away with it running perfect after headers though. I personally are going to get it tuned when i get headers becasue i don't knwo how long it will be to the next mod, and that way I can delete the rear o2s, air system..ect.

Most places don't charge the same for a retune since you've been to them already and most of the tune should be fairly accurate, unless your doing something radical(large cam, turbo..ect).

so, lid, catback..don't need a tune, headers...possible. Once you start adding heads and a cam, then turbo..or supercharger, you'll want a tune after everything that is major.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

everyone so far has bout said the same thing you need to wait till you get all the bolt ons and your cam b4 you get a nice tune.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

Get all your bolt-ons, and at least a cam before you get a quality dyno tune. It will make a large difference, but most likely will run you a few hundred bucks.

Quick Reply: how often will i need to dyno tune?