Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure sending unit

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default oil pressure sending unit

can some one give me a how to/advice as to how i can replace the seding unit w/out taking the intake off....

thanks
Old 11-21-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you are set on not removing the intake, go to your local auto parts store and get the proper socket, that will make it a little easier
Old 11-21-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Either the proper socket or it's going to take some serious finagling to get a wrench back there. At the base of the sensor is like a nut. The sensor probably isn't in there that tight. As soon as you break it loose, you should be able to turn it out with your fingers.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:39 PM
12 Second Club

Ive replaced my oil sending unit about three times now, and i believe its possible to change the sending unit without taking the manifold off, but by the time you figure it out, you could have took the manifold off and replaced it in a lesser time. The manifold only takes about 30 minutes to take off.... just disconnect the fuel rails first, and the rest of the manifold is easy, just use alan keys.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1fastz
Ive replaced my oil sending unit about three times now, and i believe its possible to change the sending unit without taking the manifold off, but by the time you figure it out, you could have took the manifold off and replaced it in a lesser time. The manifold only takes about 30 minutes to take off.... just disconnect the fuel rails first, and the rest of the manifold is easy, just use alan keys.

thats the thing i dont really want to tackle the job of having to take the intake off...i dont wanna screw anything up. i tried looking around for the sending unit but could not find it..its on the back of the block right?? drivers side....
Old 11-21-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can get it off without removing the intake manifold. Reach back behind the manifold and find the brake booster line, follow it back to where it connects to the manifold, between the manifold and the brake booster hose you will find the oil pressure sending unit, unplug the wiring harness. You WILL need the special oil pressure sending unit socket to get it out , they are about 10 bucks at autozone. Slip the socket over the sensor then put a ratchet with a 6" extension in and break it loose. (Its not very tight) once you break it loose and get a turn or two you will most likely be able to twist it out by hand with the socket still on.

The only way you are going to be able to get back there (unless you have ridiculously long arms) is if you take the lid off and kneel on the lower air box. This is how I installed my oil pressure sending unit after breaking the stocker doing a manifold swap. Also, I KNOW it can be taken out this way because I had to take it back off after pinching the harness between the manifold and the head and then put it back on again .

edit: Its really not that hard to take the manifold off at all if your already replacing the oil pressure sending unit. The HARDEST part about a manifold swap is getting the original off without breaking the oil pressure sending unit.

Good luck!
Old 11-21-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Got this off another thread and should get you a better idea of what is involved in doing this..... Hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails oil pressure sending unit-opsu.jpg  
Old 11-21-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

thanks guys, ill have to give it a shot this wkend...the only reason im hesitating on taking the intake off ...i would really hate to mess something up in the process....

luna, about how long did it take you to replace the sedning unit...w/intake on ofcourse
Old 11-21-2006, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where in TX are you located??
Old 11-21-2006, 06:18 PM
Launching!

Honestly dude.

Don't be afraid of messing anything up. All you have to do is remove the fuel rails/injecters, unbolt all the bolts and pull it aside a bit. The 25-30 minutes that it would take to do that would be worth the hassle of finding in while the intake's still on there. It's not like you're going to break the oil pressure senser unit or anything. Just make sure nothing falls into any of the intake ports unlike me

Whatever the hell that this is anyway. It got me LS6 heads, Cam and valvetrain and long tube headers while ripping it all apart.
Attached Thumbnails oil pressure sending unit-ssfragment-006.jpg  
Old 11-21-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by z28_n_tx
thanks guys, ill have to give it a shot this wkend...the only reason im hesitating on taking the intake off ...i would really hate to mess something up in the process....

luna, about how long did it take you to replace the sedning unit...w/intake on ofcourse
~20 minutes. It really helps knowing exactly where it is but its not a hard job at all just very cramped.

The hardest part is unplugging it trying not to break it, but since your replacing it anyway it doesnt really matter.

edit:also, it depends on how stock your car is, this could be quite a bit harder if you still have all the AIR stuff there and it would also help to at least disconnect the pcv system to get back there. By the time I was replacing the OPSU my air, egr, and pcv systems were gone and not in the way
Old 11-21-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro Rick
Just make sure nothing falls into any of the intake ports unlike me Whatever the hell that this is anyway. It got me LS6 heads, Cam and valvetrain and long tube headers while ripping it all apart.
That looks like the clip that holds one of the fuel lines to the rail....
Old 11-21-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blkbird
Where in TX are you located??

i live about 45 minutes north of houston.

just incase any of you guys was wondering why i wanted to change....when i sit at a light or stop , the oil needle will start to go down to about 30psi-35psi and move like crazy in between 30psi-40psi untill i give it gas and finally returns to 40psi-43psi.

i figured replacing the sending unit before i think about a ls6 oil pump.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Camaro Rick
Honestly dude.

Don't be afraid of messing anything up. All you have to do is remove the fuel rails/injecters, unbolt all the bolts and pull it aside a bit. The 25-30 minutes that it would take to do that would be worth the hassle of finding in while the intake's still on there. It's not like you're going to break the oil pressure senser unit or anything. Just make sure nothing falls into any of the intake ports unlike me

Whatever the hell that this is anyway. It got me LS6 heads, Cam and valvetrain and long tube headers while ripping it all apart.
exactly why i dont really want to fool around with it.....trust me i would end up screwing something up...
Old 11-23-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just replaced mine yesterday night. I could not get back there to get it out so i pulled the manifold. Not hard, you can do it. good luck