Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat in i-pipe? Anyone try it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cat in i-pipe? Anyone try it?

I was thinking if anyone has tried placing a cat in the i pipe? How do you think it will sound with longtubes, ory? If I were to try it I would place an electric cutout after the cat on the i pipe. So when open it'll still be loud but when closed it'll be quiet, especially since I have my stock muffler in place still. What do you guys think?

Oh yeah, I have a 2000 Camaro SS with Flowtech longtubes with ory.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

It seems like that would significantly reduce exhaust flow. The I-pipe is where the two flows from each side of the engine merge, I don't think I would want a cat there....but I don't know, maybe a high-flow cat might be ok. Not really sure how it would sound tho...
Old 11-24-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ditto want an answer to this question as well. i figred on of those tiny mini cats would cut back on the smell for inspections also
Old 11-24-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why use a cat? Its purpose is to filter certain engine by products when it hits a certain temp. They make MUFFLERS to reduce sound. You could put a bullet muffler there, i.e. loudmouth/tsp catback setup. A high flow cat, running of each header doesn't hurt flow to much, but if you put that where both cylinders merge, it may not be good.

the also make smaller mufflers, like the flowmaster 1 chamber. i have the tsp rumbler catback, I hacked off the two tail pipes after the axle and put the flowmaster 1chamber there with a single hidden tip. So, I have a bullet muffler that came with the tsp rumbler cat back adn the 1 chamber, its loud when i step on it with no drone at all, quiet at idle and start up all on stock manifolds. getting headers soon, should make it should ncie since it doesn't drove right now.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I wonder how it would sound with atleast a high flow cat. I'm surprised no one has tried this. Right now I have a chambered muffler from classicchambered.com which is way too loud after I installed my longtubes with ory. For bullet style mufflers to replace the chambered muffler. I'm leaning towards, moroso, xr-1 or magnamouth. I really would like to quiet down my exhaust, so I hope one of those will do it.

That is why I was curious how it would sound with a cat in the ipipe instead of putting a bullet style muffler there. Hmmmm?
Old 11-25-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jpat1023
It seems like that would significantly reduce exhaust flow. The I-pipe is where the two flows from each side of the engine merge, I don't think I would want a cat there....but I don't know, maybe a high-flow cat might be ok. Not really sure how it would sound tho...
I think you are right, even a high flow cat in the I pipe will significantly reduce exhaust flow.

You have to remember that the I pipe is combining the exhaust flow of both sides of the y pipe, there IS a reason that catted y pipes have two cats on either side instead of one at the tip, it doesn't flow well.

If it flowed the same or good enough exhaust companies would have been producing catted y pipes with only one cat for a long time because it would be cheaper. So no don't do it.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

^^I think we are reading the same book...actually, we're on the exact same page.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

Great info guys, thanks. I wont do it
Old 11-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Banned

I wouldn't put a cat in the ipipe, but putting a bullet or two in the ipipe is a great way to combat rasp. I had a raspy ypipe setup some time ago on my SHO and two bullets in the ipipe fixed that right up.